• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

indecision between topping dx7 pro / dx5

wynton74

good morning from italy

I'm about to buy one of these two dac/amplifiers for headphone, but not knowing the features well, I'd like some advice.
I use the system where to place the dac 30/40 times a year, but I'm not one who changes often so I'd keep the dac for quite a few years. I would like to understand if the difference of 250 euros between the two could be worth it. I've read enough reviews and both speak well.
thank you

https://www.playstereo.com/it/conve...ore-cuffie-e-bluetooth.html#/22-finitura-nero

https://www.playstereo.com/it/dac-u...h-32bit-768khz-dsd512-mqa.html#/6-colore-nero

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello @wynton74 ! Welcome to ASR.

When comparing the two, you can obsess endlessly about distortion, noise, jitter etc.
In reality, both are audibly transparent and will sound the same when set to identical volume.

The biggest difference is how much power they can output. Here are all Topping AOIs (All-in-ones) compared. In green the DX5, in red the DX7Pro+:
Topping AIO_ Maximum Output Power before clipping (knee) vs Load (2) (2).png
Keep in mind that twice the power does not mean twice as loud. You need 10x the power to get twice the loudness.

The DX7Pro+ also adds an I²S and AES3 digital input.

OP
W

wynton74

Hello staticV3

Thanks for the reply. so you are telling me that there is very little difference between the two products.this is my system if it helps to understand better :
amplifier marantz pm 6006
cd marantz 6006
speaker monitor audio silver 200
headphone sennheiser HD 599

I will change the headphones shortly and I am undecided between some Hifiman and Sennheiser models, mainly for listening to classical and jazz music,sometimes I listen to rock like Led Zeppelin
thank you

enterprise11

I am a professionell musician (violin) and I like to listen to classical and jazz music, and sometimes to classical rock like you. I have the DX5 and I like it very much. It‘s connected via usb to a Hifiberry.
My main headphone is AKG K812 and I think, ist’s much better than every Hifiman or Sennheiser, so I would buy in your place a K812, because this combination is a dream.
Best regards from germany

OP
W

wynton74

hello enterprise11. i'm a musician too i play the trumpet. thanks for your message.yes i read several reviews and i understood that between dx5 and dx7 the differences are minimal. i decided to get dx5. I don't know the AKG headphones, let me know. Thank you very much

enterprise11

For me the K812 is the most neutral and clean headphone, I've ever heard. When I capture my violin with my Neumann KM143 it really sounds like my violin. You really should give them a try. They have a wide soundstage and you really can hear everything, that is on the recording. Difficult to explain, but for me they are like a good Instrument.

OP
W

wynton74

thank you. yes I read great reviews on akg but my budget is lower between 600/700 euros, and I thought about ananda or edition xs by hifiman

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a professionell musician (violin) and I like to listen to classical and jazz music, and sometimes to classical rock like you. I have the DX5 and I like it very much. It‘s connected via usb to a Hifiberry.
My main headphone is AKG K812 and I think, ist’s much better than every Hifiman or Sennheiser, so I would buy in your place a K812, because this combination is a dream.
Best regards from germany
What makes it better than those? Some proofs? Not subjective opinions? Proof? of better measurements? Please.

Now to the OP, @wynton74 .

Keep in minds that most headphones need to be equalized. Many here go by the Harman Headphones curve. Our hosts @amirm espouses such approach to the point that in most )all?) headphones review , he publishes EQ parameters.. There are larger list of such EQ-settings for a large swath of headphones.
This One from @oratory1990 Oratory 1990 Full List of EQ Presets
Amir List of Presets, this last one was organised by @sweetchaos .

Now for brands of headphones. Not a fan of Sennheiser, they can be good but I believe HifiMan offers the best bang for the buck, and there is always Dan Clark Audio has the best best/safe failback but the DCA headphones start at $400.oo whereas a HifiMan 400Se, available on Amazon US at $109.oo, correctly equalized provides > 85% of the sound of the better headphones on the market (literally ANY) at 1/10 to 1/100th the price..
If you stay here people will guide you to the best ways to achieve correct equalization of the headphones you chose.. I , suggest HifiMan, a bit of a fanboy... My HE6Se IMO is as good as anything I have heard, it is less than $1000.oo and is measurably better than my previous , reference headphones which seem to cost around 6k these days, ... The HE6SE has one of the lowest THD measured here at ASR... Easily top 3. Not sure the Topping in your list can drive it well though...

Stay in this forum, you will learn a lot and save thousands.. yes thousands. Get any of the DAC/preamp you mentioned. For the sake of ultimate fidelity', these are endgames.

Peace

Last edited:
OP
W

wynton74

Thanks for the reply FrantzM . the list for equalizing is interesting. but excuse my ignorance, how do I equalize the headphones with the topping? remaining between ananda stealth and xs, do you have any advice?

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply FrantzM . the list for equalizing is interesting. but excuse my ignorance, how do I equalize the headphones with the topping? remaining between ananda stealth and xs, do you have any advice?

There is no onboard DSP on the Topping so most use some software to this.

Here is a thread about that.

enterprise11

No measurements, just my violin and me and over 20 years experience as a sound engineer for a major classic label.

Top Bottom