• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Incremental updates on Genelec Designs

Mario Sanchez

As the title suggests, usually what gets changed when the letter behind a genelec model number moves one place down the alphabet? I see that the change from 8351A to B was fairly significant in terms of drivers used, is this the norm?
Additionally, is there a pattern as to how often does Genelec do this to their products? I've been eyeing the Ones for a while, but I wonder if an updated version of the 8351 or 41 might be in the Genelec pipelines...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually, it's an amp upgrade (from AB to D, and/or more power), and in some cases, indeed a driver update as well. In the case of the 8351A, the coaxial was first-generation, while the 8351B uses a 3rd gen Coaxial.

Updates models are not done very often. 8040/50B models for instance are already quite old and still waiting for a Class D update. Generally, somewhere between 4 to 10 years is usual.

OP
Mario Sanchez

Mario Sanchez

Me right now:
6fpz1k.jpg

KausMusix

Been considering the 8330s and a 7350 sub lately, but I've become hesitant as I saw that the 8330s was released all the way back in 2014 and the 7350 in 2015. Do you guys think there is gonna be a significant update in the coming 2-3 years? And if so do you have any suggestions on what could be improved or introduced to the series?

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Been considering the 8330s and a 7350 sub lately, but I've become hesitant as I saw that the 8330s was released all the way back in 2014 and the 7350 in 2015. Do you guys think there is gonna be a significant update in the coming 2-3 years? And if so do you have any suggestions on what could be improved or introduced to the series?
They're out of stock most places which suggests a new one is coming.

Have you considered the KH120 II? They're Neumann's new model at that size/price point and are phenomenal.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor

Have you considered the KH120 II? They're Neumann's new model at that size/price point and are phenomenal.
There are in stock anywhere I was looking at, but then I also think KH120 II is overall better choice right now for this size, as long as you're not in the SAM ecosystem. 8330 sounds really good though (I have 8 of them), so there's really no wrong choice here. Going from A to B in 8351 case, was to make the whole line use the same tech for midrange, amps and woofers, if 8351 would come out after the 8341A then they would use the 8351A name. Not every model gets next letter, within the 83X1 line it's only 8351 with letter B, the whole 83X0 and 73X0 line is all "A", as are all mains after the SAM update

KausMusix

Oh yeah, just looked at the measurement from amirm, looks really promising. I'm just a bit unsure about the software Neumann provides for their MA 1 monitor alignment, really like the fact that you are able to generate a GRADE report with the GLM system and the whole management of monitors in the software. Idk how MA 1 exactly differs, but I don't think they are able to generate a report similar to GRADE?

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Oh yeah, just looked at the measurement from amirm, looks really promising. I'm just a bit unsure about the software Neumann provides for their MA 1 monitor alignment, really like the fact that you are able to generate a GRADE report with the GLM system and the whole management of monitors in the software. Idk how MA 1 exactly differs, but I don't think they are able to generate a report similar to GRADE?
I've never found anything interesting in GRADE report, sure it looks nice, but a simple sweep in REW can show more useful things and it's much faster

Top Bottom