• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Incredible set of interviews with family and friends of Mika Vainio

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Down another rabbit-hole this weekend, I came across this set of interviews with family and friends of the late Mika Vainio, noise and techno pioneer and the source of some of my favourite electronic music recordings (both artistically and sonically).

NB: for non-Finnish speakers, will need to be machine translated.

His father says:
The musicality seemed to be hidden in Mika at first because he couldn’t play instruments. If he whistled, then mostly next to the note. Music just had to grow out of him over time, into his own form of self-expression.

The school music teacher’s comment confirmed the non-musical image. He had said in the hearing of everyone, "Even though Vainio's son is no gunpowder inventor, maybe we'll come up with something for him." Mika remembered this remark for the rest of his life. He could later get some kind of revenge energy from the teacher’s nonsalization. But for the child, that must have been overwhelming to hear.

Mika’s desire to become an artist didn’t surprise me. But it came as a surprise that Mika was able to develop the music in his own way and rise to fame with it.

And an example of his work:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks!
Kesto by Pan Sonic is one of my favorite box sets. He put out so much good...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This also just came out a month or two ago, am just listening to it for the first time (other than the live performance) now :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've liked what I've played on Spotify from Mika Vainio....thanks for posting this, new stuff to dig into!

Top Bottom