• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Increasing woofer damping in 3 way

I think I prefer my revel f206's with the port bungs pushed in past the point where the woofer response starts drooping down, lowering the woofers' enclosure size to increase the damping, does this audibly effect the timing between mid and woofer, the impulse response handoff between them (I think maybe is how to state what I mean)?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1) How about you try and model it in Virtuixcad. Setup a test project, change the enclosure for the woofer and use the impulse response tool to see if there are any changes in that domain that are significant. I imagine that the woofer impulse will change a bit but may not effect the timing of the woofer compared with the mid.

2) measure the effect with REW at 1m and see if there are changes with your actual speakers. Keep the mic position the same so the room effects don't vary.

OP
C
Whaat. Lol

Am I maybe just imaging I'm hearing a difference from a part of these foam plugs being pushed in past the point they'e merely filling the port slug volume

OP
C
I really should have compared if I hear some difference at different points of bung-push-in, before I created a thread, come to think of it

OP
C
My speakers with the port unobstructed have the same qts as when I have these included foam cylinders pushed in to bung up the port volume (and only pushed in that far), right?

OP
C
Above the port tuning frequency, is the transient response the same

..If I change woofer enclosure volume enough to be audible, do I have to worry that the timing between the woofer and the mid has been changed, enough to be audible?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I prefer my revel f206's with the port bungs pushed in past the point where the woofer response starts drooping down, lowering the woofers' enclosure size to increase the damping, does this audibly effect the timing between mid and woofer, the impulse response handoff between them (I think maybe is how to state what I mean)?
Shouldn't have much phase effect at the crossover frequency, if that's what you're asking. Just affects the low frequency response. Basically, you're turning it into a sealed enclosure. Stuffing the port has little or no practical effect on enclosure volume.

Last edited:
OP
C
I'd like to publicly express my contrition to @dougi for my flippant response to his suggestion, if I wasn't so dumb and crazy I would have given up trying to do room correction and sub integration by ear a long time ago

Top Bottom