• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inappropriate, or unwise words uttered about your hifi.

Loathecliff

My worst example
'Inspired' by an (inevitably) ex girlfriend who upon seeing my Quad ESLs for the first time said:-

"They're too big!".

It took me a second to choose silence over waste-of-precious-breath sarcasm, but to myself I noted 'That's no.2'

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I sold some Maggies to a fellow once. His wife came with him to load them in the van. He had been telling her how they weren't like other speakers and she would like them. He brought her in to see them asking, "so what do you think, these look nice don't they". With the expression of someone who was hoisting up a dead and decaying mouse by the tail she answered, "well, ...................they are ...........okaaaayyyyy....maybe. Can we just put them up right against the wall like a room divider or something?"

Another time selling yet another pair of Maggies, and the wifey said, "these and cats don't mix I can see that right now."

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Man cave is mentioned frequently. Which is fine. I don't have limitations from WAF.

JSmith

Master Contributor
"What do you need that for"

"Why is it so expensive"

"What does it do"

1619759281071.png

1619759296145.png

JSmith

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sold some Maggies to a fellow once. His wife came with him to load them in the van. He had been telling her how they weren't like other speakers and she would like them. He brought her in to see them asking, "so what do you think, these look nice don't they". With the expression of someone who was hoisting up a dead and decaying mouse by the tail she answered, "well, ...................they are ...........okaaaayyyyy....maybe. Can we just put them up right against the wall like a room divider or something?"

Another time selling yet another pair of Maggies, and the wifey said, "these and cats don't mix I can see that right now."
Yeah, can be difficult to sell Maggies, but I managed it in 2004 as told in the funny story at the end of this posting.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
“How do I work it when you aren’t here?”

Rick “loses sleep just thinking about it” Denney
She listens to the FM radio only so everything in the main system is setup such that she just has to switch on/off the mains switch. :cool:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
She listens to the FM radio only so everything in the main system is setup such that she just has to switch on/off the mains switch. :cool:

Except I keep forgetting to leave it in that state.

Rick “who lacks the necessary $4000 audio-grade switches in any case” Denney

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ex-wife did prefer on listening larger speakers. Preferably planars. I remember on seeing a friend who had a pair of Magico Mini and lamenting; “ such tiny speakers with a tiny sound ...”
Current companion doesn’t care one way or the other ... as long as I keep them speakers and other AV paraphernalia in my cave. She is however partial to a movie once in a while.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One speaker surprisingly I've never heard a wife complain about were Quad ESL-63s. ??????

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The cat will think they're scratching posts, no doubt.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My worst example
'Inspired' by an (inevitably) ex girlfriend who upon seeing my Quad ESLs for the first time said:-

"They're too big!".

It took me a second to choose silence over waste-of-precious-breath sarcasm, but to myself I noted 'That's no.2'
What was the first?

"Ooh, that's cute. Just like a full sized one, only smaller."

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Years ago, before I began to understand measurements, I bought an Icon Audio valve pre. My girlfriend burst into tears. She said it was because she’d have to relearn how to use the system again.

But maybe it was because, deep down, she just knew.

(On reflection I realise her reaction was neither inappropriate, nor unwise... nor even words, so perhaps this post is not very relevant to this thread)

OP
Loathecliff

Loathecliff

What was the first?

I was counting (to 3) in the 'Life of a Relationship' sense.

1) Was an arrogant & potentially expensive lack of mechanical sympathy with a car, (two mindless times), and a refusal to listen.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
By me: "It's a really small subwoofer, you'll see. Bigger than the TV stand? No way. Maybe a little. Not that you'd notice."

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Wife: too loud as she covers her ears with her hands.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“How do I work it when you aren’t here?”

Rick “loses sleep just thinking about it” Denney

Roon actually solved this problem for me. I installed it on her phone. Search and play, it is pretty intuitive relative to my old BubbleUPnP setup (Which doesn’t run on her iPhone).

Top Bottom