• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In-wall Speaker Measurements (Monoprice THX-365IW)

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This video is kind of false advertising... makes it look WAY too easy :)

Is that craftsman included with the delivery of the speaker? If so; for how long? I’ve got a few irritating issues with this apartment and acoustics isn’t one of them.

Yes, there is some practical detail with inwalls that onwalls solve without accepting the suck of floorstanders.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This video is kind of false advertising... makes it look WAY too easy :)
Yeah, he starts out with a hole in the wall that has terminated wires hanging out, and all his tools and parts on a big table... 99% of the work is done before the video begins.

Wader

Hi Amir, I would greatly appreciate data on in-wall speakers. I am looking at LCR in-walls with the LR vertical and the C mounted horizontal. (Focal 300 IWLCR6, Def Tech UIW RLS II, ML XTW6-LCR, Atlantic Tech IW-30LCR-s.) How can I make a good selection without hearing any of them? How important is it to be able to rotate the tweeter, or MT in some cases? How important is it to be able to tilt the T or MT? There is a shortage of information out there to inform me if $2k - $2.5k of in-walls will sound as good as $1.5k of on-walls (ML SLM XL, GE Supersat60) or even <$1k of small bookshelfs. I have a Rythmik F12 to match up with, but I think I want it crossing over at <100Hz as it may have to be on the side or back wall.
Appreciate all your reports and hope you get a new Pioneer Elite receiver to test in the next couple months.
Regards

redshift

Hi Amir, I would greatly appreciate data on in-wall speakers. I am looking at LCR in-walls with the LR vertical and the C mounted horizontal. (Focal 300 IWLCR6, Def Tech UIW RLS II, ML XTW6-LCR, Atlantic Tech IW-30LCR-s.) How can I make a good selection without hearing any of them? How important is it to be able to rotate the tweeter, or MT in some cases? How important is it to be able to tilt the T or MT? There is a shortage of information out there to inform me if $2k - $2.5k of in-walls will sound as good as $1.5k of on-walls (ML SLM XL, GE Supersat60) or even <$1k of small bookshelfs. I have a Rythmik F12 to match up with, but I think I want it crossing over at <100Hz as it may have to be on the side or back wall.
Appreciate all your reports and hope you get a new Pioneer Elite receiver to test in the next couple months.
Regards

Onwalls and inwalls is a matter of competently executed installations given their advantages (and limitations), rather than that of placement as is the case of generic floorstanders.

Not so sure about soundbars slapped on the walls though. :rolleyes:

redshift

Yeah, he starts out with a hole in the wall that has terminated wires hanging out, and all his tools and parts on a big table... 99% of the work is done before the video begins.

I like the industrial grade Phoenix Contact terminals though. “It takes one to know one”. :p

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One should keep in mind that, seeing your room as a lounge with an opening against the venue, dips and peaks that arise due to floor, sidewalls and roof will be there in any event, regardless of speaker reproduction or a live event. The only wall that is "unnatural" in the venue is the wall where the speaker sits.

SPFC

Great review Amir. In wall speaker may be in my future....
It will be great to have a few more reviewed as well as Amir's subjective evaluations.

redshift

One should keep in mind that, seeing your room as a lounge with an opening against the venue, dips and peaks that arise due to floor, sidewalls and roof will be there in any event, regardless of speaker reproduction or a live event. The only wall that is "unnatural" in the venue is the wall where the speaker sits.

What is the best way of figuratively “removing” this “unnatural” wall do you reckon?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the best way of figuratively “removing” this “unnatural” wall do you reckon?

The best I have tried as an experiment is a "damping wall" covering the wall from floor to roof around 1.5 m wide behind each speaker, leaving a harder surface space between the speakers. I made one try with glassfiber in 10 cm wooden frames covered with perforated masonry, and then covered the masonry with 60 mm wedged foam, total thickness around 16 cm.

In the end I managed with smaller panels; 1.5x1.5 m (WAF-related). This was some time ago though. In my current apartment I have commercial panels with some optional widening using wedged foam. Far from optimal but they help a bit.

60 mm wedged foam can be bought quite cheap, and just experimenting by covering the surface directly behind the speakers (from floor to roof) with foam 1.5-2 meter wide will give some indications of the gains. I was quite surprised by the apparent increase of dynamics.

redshift

The best I have tried as an experiment is a "damping wall" covering the wall from floor to roof around 1.5 m wide behind each speaker, leaving a harder surface space between the speakers. I made one try with glassfiber in 10 cm wooden frames covered with perforated masonry, and then covered the masonry with 60 mm wedged foam, total thickness around 16 cm.

In the end I managed with smaller panels; 1.5x1.5 m (WAF-related). This was some time ago though. In my current apartment I have commercial panels with some optional widening using wedged foam. Far from optimal but they help a bit.

60 mm wedged foam can be bought quite cheap, and just experimenting by covering the surface directly behind the speakers (from floor to roof) with foam 1.5-2 meter wide will give some indications of the gains. I was quite surprised by the apparent increase of dynamics.

Having the speaker near the front wall (and panels) helps, I assume? Since the poles and zeros (feedback loop) of the room (affecting the speaker) will be attenuated in the vicinity of the speakers giving them better open-loop controllability and dynamics?

Effectively less reverberations and cancellations fucking up the sound from the speakers without ruining the first couple of early reflections from the room - ceiling and side walls.

I guess that is what Stig realized without digging into the gritty detail about feedback control theory? Hence the attenuator panels in his speakers?

Last edited:

mga2009

Great review!

Really get me thinking if I should go in-wall for my new apartment if they do offer better performance.

Looking forward to future reviews on the Revel's In-wall lineup, specially the Revel W263 and Revel W253L which are very nicely priced (and also the fact that Revel DOES NOT provide plots nor charts for these speakers, so there is very little info for them).

Bear123

Great review!

Really get me thinking if I should go in-wall for my new apartment if they do offer better performance.

Looking forward to future reviews on the Revel's In-wall lineup, specially the Revel W263 and Revel W253L which are very nicely priced (and also the fact that Revel DOES NOT provide plots nor charts for these speakers, so there is very little info for them).
Spinorama for all Revel in wall speakers

redshift

Great review!

Bremen onwalls for the ease of installation perhaps?

http://www.bremen.se/

These would be interesting to have measured and reviewed.

1626862343117.jpeg

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I think you need damping material around the speaker on the wall. It has been discussed earlier in this thread. Have a look at the OA 61 wall-mount “elephants ear” to combat this distortion.

View attachment 141853

Not doubting this may sound good, but damn it looks hideous. The opposite of the subtlety of in-wall concept

MaxRockbin

Top Bottom