• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In-wall Speaker Measurements (Monoprice THX-365IW)

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This will fit in perfectly with my collection!
View attachment 142694

Your pistol doesn’t shoot dangerous lazor beams.

1626888000412.jpeg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We had some nice B & W in-walls years ago that were fairly expensive at the time and to this day sound great. We actually pulled them out of the walls when we sold the house and now are on the inside walls of an alcove so they're now very near-field HP like speakers.20160326_205559.jpg20160331_183856.jpg

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning

JPA

Forum Donor

mga2009

Not very scientific, but wouldn't you avoid -or at least greatly reduce- all the nuances of in-wall speakers when using a kind of sealed backbox and, in the best of cases, one that stretches from roof to floor so it can be clamped at 4 points?

nathan

Haven’t watched the whole thing, but so far a good summary of SBIR and solutions.

That was a good video.

I’d call it great except whereas usually Grimani is willing to name names on these Audioholids seminars, in this case he teases the audience by agreeing that imaging depth can be compromised by some in wall speakers……but that a handful of makes have solved that old problem.……but then fails to mention which designs, makes or models have solved it.

russelms

I just came across this review and am super happy to see the findings are positive.

I had installed my in-walls without much thought about bracing or backer boxes as I was under the impression neither was required. Now reading this thread I may re-think that.

For reference this is how they are installed any feedback would be appreciated. They sit behind a 150" Silverticket acoustically transparent screen (WVS fabric) into a 20'x17' room with 8.5' ceiling.
IMG_5913.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg

For those that care the front of the wall - there is >=6inches between rock wall and speaker edge.
IMG_5910.jpg

Last edited:

nathan

Yeah, if it were me, I'd probably enclose those stud bays. They won't all be symmetrical in terms of volume from the looks of it, so EQ will still be important, but I would guess you end up closer to what the speaker designer intended that way..... that being said, if they sound good with some room EQ, as they sit now, I also wouldn't worry about it too much. Chances are good that your room EQ is compensating for the way they are installed. And it's a very nice setup.

Wader

Onwalls and inwalls is a matter of competently executed installations given their advantages (and limitations), rather than that of placement as is the case of generic floorstanders.

Not so sure about soundbars slapped on the walls though. :rolleyes:

Hi @redshift, In your reply reference to soundbars, were you referring to MartinLogan SLM XL and GoldenEar SuperSat 60? I think of "soundbar" as a self amplified bar that includes various DSP modes.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like a really good LRC speaker. Monoprice doesn't seem to have anything in the Monolith line for surround or height in-ceiling speakers as far as i can tell.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
Seems like a really good LRC speaker. Monoprice doesn't seem to have anything in the Monolith line for surround or height in-ceiling speakers as far as i can tell.
I've been thinking of installing some of there in walls I'm the ceiling actually they'd do a nice job I think of keeping up with my RBH for a very reasonable price at least I'd hope

nathan

I'm not sure whether the dispersion really meets the dolby spec of wide and even in all the directions but perhaps if you position them carefully you can keep the seating in the sweet spot?

danzilla31

Forum Donor
I'm not sure whether the dispersion really meets the dolby spec of wide and even in all the directions but perhaps if you position them carefully you can keep the seating in the sweet spot?
Yeah that's what I'm hoping that's why I really appreciate Amirs efforts to measure speakers like these that type of review is super helpful

marty9876

Hello All - much appreciate all the information in this thread especially @amirm for the measurements. I'm building a dedicated home theater around 9x of the Monoprice THX-365IW for the bed layer and my intention is to create boxes/enclosures for the LCR at the very least and likely for all channels as the speakers are going in columns with shelves for adjustment and acoustical transparent fabric fronts on the columns (plus I'd like to keep the same sonic signature for all channels).

My question is on the design of the box for the speakers - more to less to use the dogs (supplies mounting system) or glue speakers into the baffle. Per Hobie Sechrest (Monoprice Monolith product manager) the ideal volume for these speakers is a box with 17 cubic liters. Needless to say, this is tight all around but I'm sure it's doable.

Option #1- use the dogs, make a box as close to the ideal cu liters but with enough for the dogs to grab. Likely would end up with a rectangle with 2x ~ 1.5" strips glued down the long sides for the dogs to grab.

Option #2- go for broke, take the metal frame off the speaker and glue the speaker into the front baffle. I'd be using 3/4" MDF, would need to rabbit out 1/2" material leaving only 1/4" of the front baffle wall then these would slip on. I'm assuming I'd scuff the paint off the speaker and then wood glue the Monoprice baffle into my DIY front baffle wall. The Monoprice front baffle appears to be 3/4" MDF also. Obviously, once done these would not come apart (not that resale value is a thing but I'm sure upgrade fever will hit some day). I could use the holes for the dogs and bolt/locknut the speakers to my DIY front baffle, still not thrilled about 1/4" of material left to press against more or less.

My main reason for thinking #2 would be better is I'm assuming the front baffle wall of the final speaker would be stiffer all around. Seems like using the dogs would only allow it to get so tight and there would always be some leakage. I guess I could acoustical chalk everything and go with option #1.

Pics of a broken down speaker below.

IMG_5094.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

Dal1as

Interesting as you are going a similar route I'd like to go when building my theater.

I would go with option #1 and just use some sort of gasket.

How come you need to remove part of the MDF? It has been my understanding the dog legs work on a wall 1 inch thick?

marty9876

Interesting as you are going a similar route I'd like to go when building my theater.

I would go with option #1 and just use some sort of gasket.

How come you need to remove part of the MDF? It has been my understanding the dog legs work on a wall 1 inch thick?

if don’t use the metal frame and dog logs, then to mount the speaker into the front enclosure baffle wall I’m assuming one would router out a inverse profile to glue the existing speaker into.

Reasons to not use the dogs are 1. Really hard to hit spec’s 17cu liter if keep the metal frame 2. Leakage between the metal frame and enclosure and 3. Leakage between the existing speaker and metal frame

Dal1as

if don’t use the metal frame and dog logs, then to mount the speaker into the front enclosure baffle wall I’m assuming one would router out a inverse profile to glue the existing speaker into.

Reasons to not use the dogs are 1. Really hard to hit spec’s 17cu liter if keep the metal frame 2. Leakage between the metal frame and enclosure and 3. Leakage between the existing speaker and metal frame
That would be the preferred way if your wanting to turn it into a regular speaker. Not sure how you are putting these in the columns but on of the benefits of in walls in a baffle is no edge defraction. My friends setup utilized baffle walls with box built into the baffle panels. You could do something like that and still adjust height, angle, etc. Amir talks about the baffle affect either in this thread or another in wall thread.

Enchy

Picked up 3 of these in the recent sale based on these updated measurements. Got them installed today on my front wall. AT screen going up as soon as I can clear a space to swap the material in my frame. Subjectively, they sound great! I've only listened to them in stereo so far but the imaging is excellent! Used a mattress topper I grabbed at Target for some absorption of high frequency reflections between the speakers and screen.

6qJDap3vo5QKs_wEQf0rYQjEzqA3wT4VE52B_DSR9BHvIFgScb4GnJTJVOvCi1Joe7cYqZ2F2SsyY0kWPBjC4flOXVV1Nbr6MfkJgUdvbiT9K-ZwuLSLJduV0LuPQBKMjKh9_5q_BGQg2-KgqlWrvHiTkNLuvUn_P8dXCA1Vq5kKiYho929V8Dq3XhhZMPToE_OHSUScMpioej3MBYA6EOB8-cyMgisM6gti2rz7yr9DbslSBWu3ObWYpgfzTVoXnXKRGYCqp9nRaUeZciQDaRwHfiYGyTy9NBJfYGGEDNtxZIEjA80ZpnAz6iYLmJ88Gc9pI42fEXwwOMd0rr4RAZHhhJNjlT3L5tqBVug7goQP-J7pDHRuc_GOBMJSJznEwh6n_J4Dg2SEFrs_BEKIyWKB7RrIOSNU9BV7UZcpzpdYyyTJfhEC1tBKdjocj6tznUYgw662ipATVSUWu_QelXbwde9Rl67i-aW-mPw9Twdz2uZniU80TZEgrVQQ5Q_SmQ2_C--M5GDotpk0IbAgwNnAiaR7S6SG17JzunPZ6nKo0M_SezY3YcywgHAGdvuwkwxuJK5Pn2GLyMsE0d99n01DFqUrTZWwozLpi8p3yc-IMxlvNBao9S2fSL7DAaGGnLAqwSkhb7g-iwn7T-oDcZQSeAtpamDOiwnKqAAVn3fVUQ0pL1EDli2tbl2PKhRdsIEgvu34MHtjA1E5VbMHjQKMyg=w1239-h929-no

russelms

Picked up 3 of these in the recent sale based on these updated measurements. Got them installed today on my front wall. AT screen going up as soon as I can clear a space to swap the material in my frame. Subjectively, they sound great! I've only listened to them in stereo so far but the imaging is excellent! Used a mattress topper I grabbed at Target for some absorption of high frequency reflections between the speakers and screen.

6qJDap3vo5QKs_wEQf0rYQjEzqA3wT4VE52B_DSR9BHvIFgScb4GnJTJVOvCi1Joe7cYqZ2F2SsyY0kWPBjC4flOXVV1Nbr6MfkJgUdvbiT9K-ZwuLSLJduV0LuPQBKMjKh9_5q_BGQg2-KgqlWrvHiTkNLuvUn_P8dXCA1Vq5kKiYho929V8Dq3XhhZMPToE_OHSUScMpioej3MBYA6EOB8-cyMgisM6gti2rz7yr9DbslSBWu3ObWYpgfzTVoXnXKRGYCqp9nRaUeZciQDaRwHfiYGyTy9NBJfYGGEDNtxZIEjA80ZpnAz6iYLmJ88Gc9pI42fEXwwOMd0rr4RAZHhhJNjlT3L5tqBVug7goQP-J7pDHRuc_GOBMJSJznEwh6n_J4Dg2SEFrs_BEKIyWKB7RrIOSNU9BV7UZcpzpdYyyTJfhEC1tBKdjocj6tznUYgw662ipATVSUWu_QelXbwde9Rl67i-aW-mPw9Twdz2uZniU80TZEgrVQQ5Q_SmQ2_C--M5GDotpk0IbAgwNnAiaR7S6SG17JzunPZ6nKo0M_SezY3YcywgHAGdvuwkwxuJK5Pn2GLyMsE0d99n01DFqUrTZWwozLpi8p3yc-IMxlvNBao9S2fSL7DAaGGnLAqwSkhb7g-iwn7T-oDcZQSeAtpamDOiwnKqAAVn3fVUQ0pL1EDli2tbl2PKhRdsIEgvu34MHtjA1E5VbMHjQKMyg=w1239-h929-no
The picture is showing a minus sign for me - any chance you could re-post very interested in your egg crate foam idea. Thanks!

Enchy

The picture is showing a minus sign for me - any chance you could re-post very interested in your egg crate foam idea. Thanks!
Here it is as an attachment. This is the foam I bought.

Attachments

• IMG_20211212_173511.jpg
    IMG_20211212_173511.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom