• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In today's episode of "Tales of Snake Oil": Mexican audiophile boxes

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Salty soil absolutely reduces impedance from buried grand planes to soil for half-wave vertical quarter-wave dipole antennas such as those used by AM radio stations. This is not snake oil at all.
Yes there are good reasons why some vertical antennas use Planet Earth as part of the antenna and there are good reasons why other vertical antennas use an insulated counterpoise instead. Basically Planet Earth only helps the near signal (well less than 50 miles).

Speedskater

Major Contributor
One of those is the idea of Chemical grounds.
I've met such in the Telecom field. There are companies that specialized in grounding. A very strange, arcane field. There is such a thing as " chemical grounding compounds" or for short "chemical grounds". They look like fertilizer or soil. They are sold in sacks or sometimes come in their own containers often a drum; you put in a hole. These are commonplace in Telecommunications. In my former company , we had to call upon one of those companies for the installation of "chemical grounds" because the soil wasn't providing a good ground and we were losing (the) very expensive microwave radios and other networking very often.
The reason for these large Planet Earth grounding systems is for protection during thunder storms. It has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality.

Kegemusha

iirc, the crystals look like that stuff for fishtanks - blue crystals. :D

Entreq. The name suddenly surfaced while I was in the kitchen. Made in Sweden - sorry Finland. [lol] So I googled it to check. Still going strong. That Scandinavian natural wood thing.

32145755-C6pQ9.jpg

69306605-e1plf.jpg

69761591-RBRBs.jpg

52933706-7LAhX.jpg

:D i don't know what these are:

31961321-4jl7K.jpg

...Looks like real vinyl.

^^Very green audiophilery, no polystyrene.
Lol, this company is 20km from home, still survives.
Skärmklipp.JPG

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Olympus Infinity - "You will get a detailed, lifley soundstage from your system that you never can reach with any other groundbox."
Minimus Infinity - "Note- where possible please ground digital & analogue cables to seperate grounding points" :facepalm:

StuartC

Forum Donor
In all honesty, I think the people behind these snake oil products are genius's (genii?). They've spotted an audiophool niche and are absolutely aware of the old adage - "A fool and his money are easily parted". Even if it only brings in enough money to pay your mortgage each month it'd be worth doing.....

Top Bottom