• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In the market for a new AMP

DEXCOM7

Hello team!

Looking for a new amp and I am undecided.
Here is what I have in mind:

Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Gold Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC by Alex Cavalli
Benchmark HPA4
???? <- Your recommendation.

I own several HP but my main go to HP's are: Ether Flow 1.1, Edition X, LCD3.

I really like my music to pack a punch so you can say I like bass with my music :)
This is one of the reason why I like the iFi iCan SE but I am ready to move on.

My DAC is a Bifrost 2 and prefer to use XLR as the interconnect with XLR output for my HP.

Thoughts? :)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have the money to splurge, HPA4 is my only recommendation. However, Massdrop THX 789 would simply do the same job just not in style for a lot less

OP
DEXCOM7

DEXCOM7

If you have the money to splurge, HPA4 is my only recommendation. However, Massdrop THX 789 would simply do the same job just not in style for a lot less

Yea I was reading that in the Benchmark thread. Thanks I might just go this route... There is no way to justify 3k when you get the same level of audio from the 789.

Svperstar

If money is no object the benchmark is great but if you want the Massdrop 789 but don't wanna wait for a drop the 887 from Monoprice measures slightly better but is available always

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39359

Svperstar

Ah!
Looking at it now.

Somebody offered me a Monolith Liquid Platinum for 480 dollars. Is the 789/887 still a better choice?

TIA!

The liquid platinum doesn't measure very well but it has plenty of power and tubes. The 887 measures a lot better and is also very powerful. Up to you.

OP
DEXCOM7

DEXCOM7

Well I went a whole different way...
Went for the iFi iCan Pro... :oops:
Why? I thought to my self... I really like the iCan SE.... Why re-invent the wheel? lol
So I went for it.... I have many cans and now getting in to IEM's mine as well have something that can satisfy a variety of HP/Monitors, etc... :)

Tks

Major Contributor
Well I went a whole different way...
Went for the iFi iCan Pro... :oops:
Why? I thought to my self... I really like the iCan SE.... Why re-invent the wheel? lol
So I went for it.... I have many cans and now getting in to IEM's mine as well have something that can satisfy a variety of HP/Monitors, etc... :)

Now you're going to have to complete the look with a stack of them. Can just let one rock on its own RIP

Top Bottom