• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In search of a small Plug & Play DAC & Headphones amplifier

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I'm after the smallest possible DAC & Headphones amplifier, Plug & Play (that is to say it could be use without driver you have to install) in order to listen to music at work (hence the necessity to have it Plug & Play, I am not allowed to modify Windows registry) with a pair of 1more Triple Driver Over-Ear (32 ohm impedance). {See also here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cables-for-1more-triple-driver-over-ear.7274/]
I need a volume knob.

I'm thinking about Topping NX4 but I don't know if it is Plug & Play.

Cheers.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Which version and update level of Windows do you need it to be Plug & Play with?

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Eurasian

Forum Donor
If small and feature-packed is what you are after, I can't imagine a more versatile and high-value unit -- if it has enough power for your needs. BTW, the phone app that Radsone has developed for this unit is great and includes eq, crossfeed, and other useful things. Balanced output, too!

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With Windows 7 u r more or less screwed. Since your phones are low impedance I would try using 3.5mm audio output of your PC. You also can use Bluetooth. I can cautiously suggest Hifime Sabre 9018, but I, for the love of god, don't remember if it needed USB drivers.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already have a JDS Lab Atom Amp at home.
Such a device would do the job in the office, connected with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm little cable. At least, I would know that I have a quality amp.
But I'm not sure about the DAC of my PC soundcard. Can it suck big time? Are all PC soundcard DAC more or less the same and good enough?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hard to give an opinion about your PC soundcard without knowing which one it is. There have certainly been some terrible ones as sound quality often isn't the goal. I've used more than one where moving the mouse causes audible modulation in the headphones. Others, even on motherboards, can measure well, so you can't really generalise.

Since you've already got an Atom why not take it in one day and give it a try.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to give an opinion about your PC soundcard without knowing which one it is. There have certainly been some terrible ones as sound quality often isn't the goal. I've used more than one where moving the mouse causes audible modulation in the headphones. Others, even on motherboards, can measure well, so you can't really generalise.

Since you've already got an Atom why not take it in one day and give it a try.

The soundcard seems to be Realtek High Definition Audio.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The soundcard seems to be Realtek High Definition Audio.
They don't generally make claims of sound quality for their chips, but some look decent enough on paper. They're widely used on motherboards, and subject to good or poor implementation. Give it a try and see if you think it's good enough - you might be lucky.

DataX

@daftcombo Take a look at the FiiO K3. It's small and portable, has a volume knob, but more importantly it has a toggle to switch between USB Audio 1.0 and 2.0. UAC1 should work without any drivers on Windows 7.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom