• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In-room speakers target curve

OP
J

jb90

That's at listening position?Distance?
Way too hot at highs,are you nearfield?
4m maybe? Listening position (I mean my sofa ;) ). I don't looking for ideal, perfect sound correction cause this room is not a recording studio with treatment and speakers are not big studio monitors. But definitely like their sound, except those 4 things I mentioned above. And FR graph shows that my ears can't lie. AND I know that a little bit of appropriate EQ boosts or cuts can makes wonders too.

Sokel

Master Contributor
4m maybe? Listening position (I mean my sofa ;) ).
Something is very-very wrong then,at 4m only the absorption of the air would decline highs at least 3db,maybe more in a furnitured room,you're 5-10db higher than the mids.
Are you sure your mic is calibrated?That's odd.

Last edited:
OP
J

jb90

You can soften the top end by tilting it down (shelf filter). Try centering it at 1-2khz and reduce perhaps 3dB and see what you think. Eq can't fix the speakers, so broad eq like a tilt filter is probably the best approach.
I'll try it tomorrow and write you results. Thanks!

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What speakers are you using? Some are more amenable to EQ above Schroeder frequency than others.

OP
J

jb90

What speakers are you using? Some are more amenable to EQ above Schroeder frequency than others.
Some JBL's. Don't remember exactly model. But this is freq response of them. Maybe I don't know how to measure it properly and in pro way. It doesn't matter in my case. It's stuff for everyday listening music not critical listening during mix or mastering. But I wanna squeeze everything what is possible from those speakers to have just great sounding source for listening music. I know that it's impossible to get ideal thing in non-treated room and without pro measurements and calibration and all that stuff. i get it. But that's all I can do and provide in that particular case. And I know that I can eq it somewhat and it will be at least "ok" results". That's all. And as I mention I hear 4 main issues: not enough "oomph" from low end, excess of low midrange "warmth" (it's quite ok and even like it but probably too much for my taste anyway and definitely not for listening modern recordings with EDM elements which sometimes I like to listen too), somewhat hidden instruments like guitars and piano (I guess mids? higher mids?), and sibilants in vocals. Treble is really good from those speakers. Maybe sometimes too much but maybe because I hear all those "sss" and "ccc" very clear. Probably graphs show all that issues surprisingly well too. But the thing is... How to eq it to improve sound not smashed it and make worse. Thanks :)
fr.jpg

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Below thread has some good material on the topic:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
As said above. If your speakers were anechoichally flat, you would observe roughly a roll off starting at about 1kHz to 20khz of ca -0.5 to -1dB/Octave (other than nearfield).

Yours does the opposite. However if you prefer it like that, nothing wrong with it either.

Bass seems ok. What smoothing did you apply though?

And yet it would help to know the exact JBL model in order to possibly find out if the “strange” frequency response comes from the speakers or the room. (I would presume from the speakers, but nothing is certain without some hard facts).

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
I hear all those "sss" and "ccc" very clear. Probably graphs show all that issues surprisingly well too. But the thing is... How to eq it to improve sound not smashed it and make worse. Thanks

I notice 2 issues. As others suggested you normally should see a clear downwards slope towards the high frequencies. However, as already explained you normally don't need to force it down with eq, it happens by itself.

Secondly there's that bump around 4kHz, which is the frequency range that causes sibilance. Also the 8Khz bump might contribute to that. So as a test just try to eq that 4kHz down with let's say 3dB and see if it's an improvement. Next you can try the same with 8Hz. If these fixes improve the sibilance problem then you can still assess if the sound of the speakers has to much presence (to much highs overall) and there's effectively and issues with the missing downwards slope.

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would say it's unlikely that is the true response of a jbl speaker at 4 meters, so there's probably something with the mic or how it was measured.

goat76

Major Contributor
Probably graphs show all that issues surprisingly well too. But the thing is... How to eq it to improve sound not smashed it and make worse. Thanks :)
fr.jpg

I’m not sure your measurement can be trusted, at 4 meters distance and a rise like that, the speakers should sound very bright.
What did you use for your measurement, did you use one of those small microphone you attach directly to your phone?

You should probably not make any adjustments based on that measurement.

OP
J

jb90

You gave a good sound description, but I don't see warmth in this frequency response, but muffled male voices and ear shattering treble in loud scenes. But it's dangerous to make conclusions without seeing the time domain. Do you have a REW measurement file?
No. It's just my measurement. Muffled male voices? Hmmm maybe you are right. Female voices sounds better on those speakers. I describe what I hear and I'm kind of "trained listener" cause I am musician and music lover since 20 years now and I know how some soundsystems and instruments and vocals sound in real life. Maybe it's not clear from the graph but definitely I hear those things. I think that I just use some shelf and boost from 60hz. Boost from 350 to maybe 1-2k with wide bell and cut with shelf from about 2k. I think that 1-3db here and there will be ok. I know you wanna more details, pro measurements and so on but I don't have them and don't know how to do it and the most important thing... I don't have gear to make it in a pro way. I thought that some "safe" tips exist and I can improve the sound just with small eq adjustments instead of provide pro measurements of everything.

TheZebraKilledDarwin

No. It's just my measurement. Muffled male voices? Hmmm maybe you are right. Female voices sounds better on those speakers. I describe what I hear and I'm kind of "trained listener" cause I am musician and music lover since 20 years now and I know how some soundsystems and instruments and vocals sound in real life. Maybe it's not clear from the graph but definitely I hear those things. I think that I just use some shelf and boost from 60hz. Boost from 350 to maybe 1-2k with wide bell and cut with shelf from about 2k. I think that 1-3db here and there will be ok. I know you wanna more details, pro measurements and so on but I don't have them and don't know how to do it and the most important thing... I don't have gear to make it in a pro way. I thought that some "safe" tips exist and I can improve the sound just with small eq adjustments instead of provide pro measurements of everything.
I see in your measurement a simialr characteristic I had: the 1k was louder than the 500.
In a SMPTE paper measuring several theatrical B-chains, I noticed that overall the 500 was louder, or at minimum as loud as the 1k. I tried that - because I wanted a theatrical coloration - and it worked wonders. Might be worth trying.

Geert

Major Contributor
I thought that some "safe" tips exist and I can improve the sound just with small eq adjustments

I gave you such tips a few posts back...

Avp1

I'm confusing... So don't eq above 300-500hz? Not eq at all? But I definitely hear sibilants so they are way above 500hz... I don't understand this...

Active correction is effective at low frequencies, where you cannot do much about room acoustic. At mid- and higher frequencies you either work with room acoustic treatment, or need to choose different speakers.

Geert

Major Contributor
At mid- and higher frequencies you either work with room acoustic treatment, or need to choose different speakers.

Or eq them based on their anechoic response and person and taste, just like speaker builders themselves do it in their passive crossovers or DSP.

Avp1

Or eq them based on their anechoic response and person and taste, just like speaker builders themselves do it in their passive crossovers or DSP.

Why would you buy speaker which you do not like out of the box?

Top Bottom