• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In-room speakers target curve

jb90

Hello. Do you have good jpgs with target curves for speakers? I only found couple of them on one graph but I need to have every one on separate graph. I would like to plot this target on my speakers freq response graph to eq them a little bit to the target. Could you share with me some graphs? Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor

OP
J

jb90

Thanks. Do you have ONLY Harman in-room speaker target graph? And how about +/- db? How close to this target one should eq? +/-1db? 2db? 3db? Or maybe exactly to this graph line?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Do you have ONLY Harman in-room speaker target graph? And how about +/- db? How close to this target one should eq? +/-1db? 2db? 3db? Or maybe exactly to this graph line?
I’d start with Harman. Any deviation (especially bass) is according to our own preference anyway, so nothing really someone can recommend over the internet.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
… and one more thing. Harman is not a target but the result of anechoically flat speakers in a reflective real room. And as said above in the listening tests on which Harman was based on, the listener differed a bit in their preference on the amount of bass.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The "target" is in reality many variations on a theme. YMMV, and all that.

OP
J

jb90

… and one more thing. Harman is not a target but the result of anechoically flat speakers in a reflective real room. And as said above in the listening tests on which Harman was based on, the listener differed a bit in their preference on the amount of bass.
So how to find the target that will be appropriate? I hear that my speakers are not so flat. I tried the freq response of it with sine wave from 20-20k and I can hear 30-18,5k from them so I guess this is the real reponse of them. Now: I can hear that there could be more thump in the low end from them. I hear a lot of "warmth" not "mud" but still there's excess probably about 200-500hz. The clarity of guitars and similar instruments could be better (so I guess kind of 1-5k?). And sibilants. Almost in every song sibilants appears. But If I definitely choose just 2 things it will be sibilants and excess of "warmth". So now how to eq that to improve sound and not destroy overall experience of listening? Exactly. So I thought that maybe eq it to the target would be kind of compromise and more "flat" for my ears?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So how to find the target that will be appropriate? I hear that my speakers are not so flat. I tried the freq response of it with sine wave from 20-20k and I can hear 30-18,5k from them so I guess this is the real reponse of them. Now: I can hear that there could be more thump in the low end from them. I hear a lot of "warmth" not "mud" but still there's excess probably about 200-500hz. The clarity of guitars and similar instruments could be better (so I guess kind of 1-5k?). And sibilants. Almost in every song sibilants appears. But If I definitely choose just 2 things it will be sibilants and excess of "warmth". So now how to eq that to improve sound and not destroy overall experience of listening? Exactly. So I thought that maybe eq it to the target would be kind of compromise and more "flat" for my ears?
I EQ mine until I like how they sound.

OP
J

jb90

I EQ mine until I like how they sound.
So do you recommend me instead to set them to the target just use parametric eq plugin and go through "trial and error" stuff?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So do you recommend me instead to set them to the target just use parametric eq plugin and go through "trial and error" stuff?
Yes. Try one of the popular targets. If you love bass, try a bass-heavy one or vice-versa. Tweak to taste if that doesn't suit you.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The reason you can't hear above 18khz is likely your ears not the speaker.

Also, forcing the natural response of a speaker to a target isn't necessarily a great idea, especially above 3-500hz.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The best guide you can find is this:

(I'll be reposting this till the end of times :) )

JRR

I start without EQ and minimally knock down offenders. Too much EQ can kill the sound.

OP
J

jb90

I'm confusing... So don't eq above 300-500hz? Not eq at all? But I definitely hear sibilants so they are way above 500hz... I don't understand this...

Sokel

Master Contributor
I'm confusing... So don't eq above 300-500hz? Not eq at all? But I definitely hear sibilants so they are way above 500hz... I don't understand this...
Do you have measurements of your speakers?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I EQ up higher, but only based on time-gated measurements. You're too likely to be EQing reflections otherwise.

OP
J

jb90

Do you have measurements of your speakers?
fr.jpg

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

You can soften the top end by tilting it down (shelf filter). Try centering it at 1-2khz and reduce perhaps 3dB and see what you think. Eq can't fix the speakers, so broad eq like a tilt filter is probably the best approach.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom