• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In re: the matter of manual transmissions

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Popped up in my inbox earlier today & thought it worthy of sharing here.

not one but two videos showing how a manual transmission... umm... transmits. :)

1936:

2015:

To me, the most amazing part of all of this is that someone had to, and was able to(!), think of this approach (i.e., this solution to a problem)!

G|force

Forum Donor
What has always stuck me as unintuitive is that when shifting gears on a modern manual, all of the gears remain engaged with each other all of the time. When you select an upshift or downshift, you are selecting gear pairs that are always in constant mesh. I've owned 2 cars that had manual 5-speeds, and one with a 6-speed.
I would love to own a dual-clutch manual with true paddle shifters and 20mS shifts, but I'll probably get an EV. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I would love to own a dual-clutch manual with true paddle shifters and 20mS shifts, but I'll probably get an EV.

Don't discount the eventual possibility...

The patent filed by the Japanese brand a few months ago, but published this week, describes a system that uses a fake clutch, fake shifter, a three mode selector, and programming at the controller to simulate the experience of driving a manual transmission, just without the stalling.

Oh. Maybe it's fake.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
What has always stuck me as unintuitive is that when shifting gears on a modern manual, all of the gears remain engaged with each other all of the time. When you select an upshift or downshift, you are selecting gear pairs that are always in constant mesh. I've owned 2 cars that had manual 5-speeds, and one with a 6-speed.
I would love to own a dual-clutch manual with true paddle shifters and 20mS shifts, but I'll probably get an EV. :)
I tried a couple of dual-clutch models, but found them all to be Jerky.... - I would rather a standard manual or an Auto....

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd rather have an EV at this point. Watch those gas prices grow! I hope this is the inflection point.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I think in racing, EVs use sequential transmissions.

One kind of transmission I hate is CVTs. Every time I watch Price Is Right, most of those cars are little 4 bangers hooked up to CVTs. Honda offers CVT cars with "Simulated Shifts".

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think in racing, EVs use sequential transmissions.

One kind of transmission I hate is CVTs. Every time I watch Price Is Right, most of those cars are little 4 bangers hooked up to CVTs. Honda offers CVT cars with "Simulated Shifts".
From what I've seen at best it's a two speed with EV, more likely not even that. I saw something today about a false shifter for EV but didn't dig into it, but sounds like it might be good in a tactile sense, but not so much in a performance sense. CVTs are just generally not applicable for EV....

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
From what I've seen at best it's a two speed with EV, more likely not even that. I saw something today about a false shifter for EV but didn't dig into it, but sounds like it might be good in a tactile sense, but not so much in a performance sense. CVTs are just generally not applicable for EV....
I think they use Simulated Shifts in CVTs so that it "feels good" and also maybe to increase engine life span. I wasn't trying to combine CVT and EV's together in my post as I separated them, anyways, Car makers won't merge the 2 because they both have 1 gear. I think that one of the EV Porsche uses a 2 speed (Manual, Automatic, Idk).

MRC01

Major Contributor

The patent filed by the Japanese brand a few months ago, but published this week, describes a system that uses a fake clutch, fake shifter, a three mode selector, and programming at the controller to simulate the experience of driving a manual transmission, just without the stalling.

Oh. Maybe it's fake.
Maybe that car will also blast internal combustion engine sounds on the stereo to add to the illusion.
Manual Gearbox AKA 21st century anti-theft device....
My daughter resembles this. She learned to drive with a stick (we don't own any automatics). None of her friends can drive stick. None! I recently changed the transmission oil in my car and had to special order it because nobody local carries manual transmission oil in stock.
I would, too - - but I enjoy shiftin' gears. :)
Me too! I spent many hours in SCCA learning to heel and toe and rev match downshifts etc. Stick shift is way more fun and adds to the driving experience and engagement.

Soundmixer

I'd rather have an EV at this point. Watch those gas prices grow! I hope this is the inflection point.
I currently have a 2000 Honda Insight 5 speed with only 110k on it. I just got a new battery for it that is double the power of the stock battery. I am currently getting about 48mpg in the city, and on the last trip I made in it, I got a 56mpg average. Folks laughed at me when I purchased it. They are not laughing now.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And then there was this thing spotted in an early Tesla Roadster:
R0013675.jpg

Top Bottom