• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In praise of the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 (integrated amp, streamer, room correction)

Pastequo

Hello,
(Very) Long time lurker here, and first poster, from Paris France.
I like the discussion here very much, it has helped me build my first stereo and home cinema set, saving a lot of money on cables, audiophile plugs and other junk. I believe this website is playing a huge role in bringing customers better quality equipments, and I’m glad to have found it.
So, for my first post here I wanted to talk to you about a machine that oddly enough hasn’t been talked about much here, despite the glowing review Amir did of the room perfect system : the tdai 1120.

I was extremely hesitant between integrated amplifiers from NAD and lyngdorf. I wanted to listen to tidal in app, Have the best room correction my money could afford, and that my equipment would integrate within my home cinema system flawlessly. My front speakers are Kelinac 914MG (93db efficiency). These must be totally unknown in the US, but they are quite wonderful, they could be compared to focal kanta 3, to name another French brand.
The reason why I absolutely wanted room correction is that my speakers are lodged insidemy library, in some sort of alcove. The reflection of the walls around it heightens the bass, but I wanted to keep them there as it looks great and saves a lot of space in the living room.

after much hesitation, I decided to buy a Nad C658, undeterred by the bad review it got here. The Dirac correction When it was on sounded quite wonderful, but I was facing two problems:
First, when I compared the level of details between the NAD and my SMSL 500, I was hearing a big difference in favor of the later. The soundstage sounded much better with the NAD, but its DAC was simply not on par with Hi-Res music. Second, I ended up fidgeting way too much with the desired curb. I was listening more to the NAD thn to music itself. It wasn’t a pleasant feeling. So I ended up sending back the C658.
From then on my mind was set on trying to a Lyngdorf.
The measurements of the 3400 scared me off, although it had everything I wanted (except the heavy Price tag)…
When I finally found a bargain on the 1120, I decided to take the risk.
And boy I wasn’t disappointed.

The 1120 came two years after the 3400. it has everything its big brother has, except tidal connect is replaced by Google cast, no optical out for plugging an additional digital Power amplifier, and 60 W output instead of 200. My speakers being 93db, I have a 15 dB headspace when I play music very loud like I usually do. It cost €2000 new and I got it for 1500.

when I first plugged it in without any room correction, it sounded great but the treble a little too shiny. But then I compared it to my usual set up (google cast, smsl m500 and Peachtree220 power amp) and realized it was just my imagination. The sound was very similar, except no noise in the speakers with the tdai when the music was off .
And then I calibrated room perfect.
Uh… Wow.
My very subjective sensation is that I was blown away.
The soundstage was absolutely extraordinary.
You have to understand my living room is it an L shape with an open kitchen on the left, about 340 ft.² in total. The sofa is against the brick back wall. There is carpets and books everywhere. up to that point, I had always had the sensation my stereo was whistling too much.
Now, I was in total bliss. I finally had the sound I was chasing after.
I recorded different focus positions, from when I’m working at the dinner table, in the kitchen making food, standing up and dancing, etc.
In comparing the different focus positions, the one that worked best for me was in a perfect triangle with the speakers, Just one meter ahead of the back wall. So room perfect will still work better if your listening spot is the best to begin with.
in using it for three months, I have had no issues with drops or anything of the likes. The 1120 is plugged to my AVR receiver and it works flawlessly in slave mode when I watch a movie. My subwoofer is plugged to my AVR. My front speakers being 30 hz- 20,000 Hz , I don’t think it’s necessary to add a sub to the stereo configuration. I might be wrong and I could try plugging the sub to the 1120 instead of the AVR, but I’m a little lazy, especially since my sound satisfies me so much as it is now.

I wrote this review because I think the 1120 is a great machine for a great price.
The fact Room perfect automatically adjusts instead of letting you do it yourself like Dirac, but still offers the possibility to add your own adjustments, to me is Game changing . And in my very subjective view, RP sounds much better than Dirac. Sure Trinnov might be better, but at what price range?
I would love for Amir to test it. if Lyngdorf has managed to get rid of the flaws of the 3400, while dividing the price by 2.5, it could be the ultimate machine for high sensibility speakers. (Keep in mind the RCA output are there to connect it to a subwoofer, as specified in the manual, not to a power amp. Everything stays digital inside this machine, the DAC might not be state of the art but that’s irrelevant.)

Hopefully once Spotify connect offers hifi, the tdai 1120 will be perfect for my use IMHO.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Thank you for posting this. I currently own a NAD dac/pre and have recently bought Topping dx7 pro. The nad doesn't measure that well and the Topping does.

From experience with both items and knowing how the bigger brother of the Lyngdorf measures, I suspect that the improvement you're hearing is not so much the Lyngdorf dac and streamer but the Room correction.

OP
P

Pastequo

I was able to compare the lyngdorf WITHOUT room correction vs a smsl M500 and a peachtree (icepower amp), and I couldn’t hear the difference. With the NAD C658, i could, enough to make me send it back.
Perhaps my hearing can’t be trusted, or the noise is not so bad, or lyngdorf have improved their machine.
I don’t think the 3400 equals the 1120 in terms of measurements just because it’s the same company. furthermore I think those amp, being fully digital and not working like anything else on the market, they might be difficult to measure. Don’t quote me on that, it’s just a guess.
In any case, even if it’s only for the room correction, I think it’s well worth it. A lot of person I’ve been looking around for comparisons between Dirac and room perfect. I was able to compare them on my set up, albeit months apart, and the later wins hands-down IMO. Room perfect improved my sound much more than going from a cheap Yamaha AVR as source and amp to a high sinad DAC and amp.
I was able to sell my streamer , my DAC and my amp, making the 1120 virtually free.

Last edited:

delamelon

Salut Pastequo,
J'ai une question sur ton ressenti sur le Lyngdorf que j'ai aussi (1120) et je suis vraiment curieux de lui coller un SMSL aux fesses comme le SU-10 (que tout le monde pense être le DAC ultime).
Bref, je voulais savoir si tu avais eu la curiosité de tester ton DAC SMSL sur le 1120?

J'ai pas du tout réussi à trouver les infos sur le DAC interne du 1120 :/

merci :)

** sorry but he's french like me I just wanted to be as precise as possible :p **

English translate:

Hello Pasquo,

I have a question about your feelings on the Lyngdorf that I also have (1120) and I'm really curious to stick an SMSL on its butt like the SU-10 (which everyone thinks is the ultimate DAC).

Anyway, I wanted to know if you had the curiosity to test your SMSL DAC on the 1120?

I couldn't find the info on the internal DAC of the 1120 at all :/

Overseas

Major Contributor
1120 does not have a 'classic' DAC chip. The digital to analog conversion is done by a processor. Not sure what it means.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does the 2170 have the same dual sub support?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, this is what 'she' looks like... uncloaked.;)
202303_LyngdorfTDAI1120Front.png

202303_LyngdorfTDAI1120Back.png

Link

Haslar

Dear fellow Frenchmen,
(here is Haslar from Paris!)
I recently bought a pair of Dynaudio Emit 50 ii , and am contemplating the purchase of a Lyngdorf 1120.
My room is L-shaped , and about 38m².
Listening position is about 3m from the speakers.
25% HT (2.0), 75% music.
I get a whole lot of frequency artifacts in this room, so am thinking that a good room correction device could come in handy.

I wonder if the 1120 would be powerful enough to drive my 4-ohm, 86 db/W Dynaudios.

Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts as long-term 1120 owners.

Thanks!

Overseas

Major Contributor
4 ohm is not that low and 2x 60 w in 8 ohm should be plenty for that space.

delamelon

Dear fellow Frenchmen,
(here is Haslar from Paris!)
I recently bought a pair of Dynaudio Emit 50 ii , and am contemplating the purchase of a Lyngdorf 1120.
My room is L-shaped , and about 38m².
Listening position is about 3m from the speakers.
25% HT (2.0), 75% music.
I get a whole lot of frequency artifacts in this room, so am thinking that a good room correction device could come in handy.

I wonder if the 1120 would be powerful enough to drive my 4-ohm, 86 db/W Dynaudios.

Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts as long-term 1120 owners.

Thanks!
hello the frenchy!

for my part I have never tested the amp part because I have a power amp.

I have B&W 702 S2 so I didn't ask myself the question.

otherwise try and stick an amp on him if that's not enough (unless you have subs)

jeff stake

Here is my understanding. The Lyngdorf digital amps do not have a DAC in the usual sense of some chip that converts a digital signal to a line level signal. In the 1120, the signal stays digital through the power amplifier and then is filtered at the output stage to an analog signal for the speakers. In the usual system, errors in the DAC (distortion and noise) are amplified by the following amplifier stage. In the Lyngdorf, there is no amplifier following the conversion to analog. Also, if you do not overload the input to the amp, the Lyngdorf output stage cannot clip, unlike the usual situation in which the preamp can raise the volume past the point where the power amplifier clips. (Caveat. I sell these amps so take my word with a grain of salt.)

Last edited:

zanny

Thank you OP for your post. All I see from reviews is positive comments on the 1120.

I did not know this existed, have not followed the brand at all, but that is how it is. You never heard of something and then a week later, you feel like an expert from reading so much online.

I was looking at my "next level" which included a expensive R2R DAC such as Denafrips Pontus or Holo Spring 3 KTE, for example the 3 KTE is better than Level 1 because of upgraded USB port etc.

For less money than those DACs, I can get a better integrated amp than my fronts currently run on, I can get a better streamer because I don't actually own one yet, and I can avoid getting a DAC altogether.

In fact, I can sell my amp and DAC and a few other pieces.

Furthermore, I'm sad my 3600H AVR has Audyssey but not DIRAC. But the Lyngdorf guys says "DIRAC is what we were doing 20 years ago".

So I cannot see a negative in adding the 1120 to my system, as everyone says the room is so important. Also saving money on acoustic wall treatments here.

I quite someone else in another thread "A very rough rule of sum and the influence of elements in your audio chain to sound quality:
room - speaker - dac/amp - everything else = 10000 : 1000 : 1 : 0.01"

Top Bottom