• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In praise of Bandcamp

Artsfols

Technical question on bandcamp.

I would want to download bandcamp purchases to my phone and use their app. That's my portable music player for use in the car and on the road. Bandcamp has an Android/ios app that should work quite nicely. MP3 VBR should work quite nicely for that purpose.

But what about my main stereo system (based on a Denon X3700 AVR). I think I would want to stream my purchases in the browser on my multi-media PC but I believe they stream only at 128 bit MP3 which is not acceptable. Anyone know?

Or is there a better way. If there's an easy way to stream downloads on my phone to my AVR that would also be acceptable.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or is there a better way. If there's an easy way to stream downloads on my phone to my AVR that would also be acceptable.

Topping BC3 is a Bluetooth receiver with LDAC bluetooth codec, which you could also enable on an Android phone (if you have one) through Developer Options. You can see in this review of the BC3 that when LDAC is used, the quality is very, very high

Artsfols

Topping BC3 is a Bluetooth receiver with LDAC bluetooth codec, which you could also enable on an Android phone (if you have one) through Developer Options. You can see in this review of the BC3 that when LDAC is used, the quality is very, very high

Can I just go with this method directly from my phone to my Denon AVR?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It does. I'll try this out. Thanks.
Let us know how it works.

Another possibility to play audio files on your smartphone is DLNA - if the AVR supports it as Network receiver and is connected to your LAN. You can install an app like hifi cast to stream music via WLAN to the AVR.

EB1000

Wav files don't support ID3 tags, so they're basically useless for streaming...

Artsfols

Sure. Although Denon receivers use SBC, the worst Bluetooth codec. How much of an audible difference using LDAC would make, I can't tell you.
Okay, so that worries me. Anyway, I'll try it out and get back.

Top Bottom