• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In need of guidance.

Vodz

I'd like to ask this community for assistance in making the right decision here.

Initially my ideas of upgrading my current stereo system all started when an OLED upgrade landed in the living room. Assuming it was the most logical way, NAAAT. I've decided to purchase a Marantz AV8805a (mainly to replace the Sonos Connect and use eARC for movies) to later upgrade into a HT/2 channel system while running it in 2.1 for now (optimistically thinking i'd have a dedicated listening room within x-years without actually realising that was easier said than done).

Thankfully i was given a second chance to redo my choice (that i was already regretting) when the processor completely died 2 weeks in. So once again after hours of research with credit cards ready to purchase something else - but before i do, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to get some opinions.

The current system: No room treatment, Spotify streaming from iOS, Movies from TV apps
  • Sony A80J (Would love the ability to have the streamer work with the TV like the processor did)
  • AV8805a replaced by a streamer/DAC combo or seperate?
  • PM8005 replaced by power amp?
  • Jamo C97 planning on keeping them for now
  • x1 REL T/7x planning on keeping it for now

The future system: No room treatment, Roon/Spotify/Amazon/Qobuz streaming from iOS, Movies from TV apps/Apple TV (looking at property ownership in the near future so i will dedicate a room with minor acoustic treatment)
  • Sony A80J
  • Streamer - minidsp SHD, Cambridge CXN (V2), NAD C658 only thing i could find with ARC, Elac DDP 2, Matrix X Sabre 3
  • Pre amp - Primaluna EVO ? ( considered tubes now and keeping the PM8005 as amp but i can't see evidence to support this couple so this might stay as a future add on)
  • Power - x1 Benchmark AHB2, x1 SPL s800, x2 Crown Xli3500, x2 XPA HC-1 ? (power amp with valve pre amp or work towards bi-amp valve and power amp?)
  • Speakers - Jamo C97 replaced once sold
  • Sub - x1 REL T/7x replaced once sold

Currently i think it would be good to purchase streamer/DAC to replace the AV8805a and power amp to rest the PM8005 with a combined budget of 7-9k AUD while leaving it open for the next stage of possible valve pre/power amp or valve/power bi-amping. I'd like for the system to be flexible and with the consideration that i want to sell the Sonos Connect, Marantz Intergrated, Jamo Speakers and Rel Sub as a perfect starter bundle for someone else as opposed to selling separately.

Now, am i on the right path to better sound or am i completely messing this up?

I appreciate any help

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Im using the cxn V2 with roon. And I cast the audio from the apple TV 4k via airplay to the cxn v2 (less cables).

The cxn V2 supports usb audio from gaming consoles

The XLR out goes to a headphone amp. The RCA out to my amplifier.

It will upsample everything to 384khz if U use the DAC (no way to avoid that if U use the XLR and RCA out)
The digital output bypasses the upsampling.
That means you could upsample everything in roon to 192khz and use DSP stuff and the Cambridge will upsample to 384khz.

The Cambridge has no real DSD support. It will convert everything to pcm.

Overall a good device.

You can use it as digital pre-amp or in fixed mode.

The blousound node n130 has hdmi in and usb out. So you could always use a better DAC and purifi power Amps

Lyngdorf has a few devices with hdmi as well.

Nad M10 V2 is a interesting one as well.

(I wouldn't get into tubes at all. )

delta76

Major Contributor
For simplicity, go with an AVR + amp (an amp might not be needed, or only for your front speakers). Add a DAC if you want, but AVR like denon x4700h has pretty good DAC. Spend more money on your speakers and more time on room correction would yield better results in most of the cases

Top Bottom