• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In ear buds with amplifier

sophie smith

Greetings,

I am asking for some suggestions/advice.

I drive to work about 3hrs/day, mostly highway. Try to listen to music and audiobooks via my android cell. The car is very noisy, especially on concrete highway. Using BT or cheap (airline gifted free) earbuds does not work. Too much noise and distortion. Cannot hear/understand the books very well at all. Even when volume at 100% and both buds in, hard to understand much. Cell phone output is very anemic via 3.5mm cord.

I am looking for the long term solution, willing to invest a bit, but nothing exuberant. Trying to keep it under 1K USD.

1. Nice quality good measuring in-ear-buds. Would strongly prefer detachable/replaceable cord with microphone option so that I can answer the phone on the fly. Noise cancelling feature is a must in my case. Something that would last for a while, not a throw-away quality. Midrange is the key, since I listen to the books. But nice measurements all around would be great.
2. Some kind of amplifier that works in the car. Either between my phone and ear buds connected with the 3.5mm wire. Or wireless BT plugged in 12v car oulet. But something that would amplify the anemic output of my cell phone.

As a side note, I would strongly prefer components made in the US, Canada, or Europe. But would consider other options, especially if they are from authentic company (the one not trying to copy existing products and sell at discount pricing).

Thanks for your considerations.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Try the Shure SE215 or the Etymotic ER2XR.

The Shure can be bought with an in-line microphone and remote, but sounds pretty "meh" (should be fine for audiobooks).

The Etymotic sounds great but doesn't have a microphone cable. You'd have to buy one separately and replace (solder) Etymotic connectors to it. I'd buy a Shure RMCE-UNI cable for this as it has a good microphone.

Both will block more noise than active noise cancelling earbuds. The Etymotic more than the Shure, because of how deep you have to insert it into your ear canal. The fit will definitely take some getting used to, but there are many different ear tips included to make it work for you.

OP
S

sophie smith

Thanks!
Will look at those.
Any suggestions as to the portable amp?

OP
S

sophie smith

Very true. But driving long distance with over the ear phones makes me a bit uncomfortable. I don't even know if it's legal. And I cross the state line....
Do people do that?. I mean, people do all kinds of actiivities behind the wheel, but is that safe?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very true. But driving long distance with over the ear phones makes me a bit uncomfortable. I don't even know if it's legal. And I cross the state line....
Do people do that?. I mean, people do all kinds of actiivities behind the wheel, but is that safe?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Using any kind of headphone or earphone behind the wheel is illegal in Germany and for good reason. I assumed you were aware of the legalities and dangers in the US

OP
S

sophie smith

Right. That's why I am looking for in ear set. If needed, I can use only one piece and have another ear free.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Ignoring the legal/safety issues... A better solution would be noise-blocking in-ear monitors. I don't have a recommendation but the idea would be to "plug" your ears, not active noise reduction. This should be more comfortable (but maybe not in one-ear) and less harmful to your hearing than trying to drown-out the background noise.

Practically speaking, this is probably no more dangerous than drowning-out background noises. If the road noise is THAT bad you're already drowning-out some of the sounds you'd want to hear for safety and it PROBABLY wouldn't be any more dangerous to drive with ear plugs, reducing ALL sound.

...One time I had the stereo blasting (no earphones/headphones) and the traffic in front of me suddenly slowed-down so I got hard on the brakes. I had plenty of room so it wasn't a panic stop but it was a sports car and hard-braking is fun anyway! So, I didn't hear anything and I didn't realize I'd locked-up the brakes until I let-off (I never came to a complete stop). When I let-off the brakes the car had been very-slightly sidewise but didn't realize that until it suddenly snapped-back straight.

OP
S

sophie smith

Agree.

So, I am looking at the etymotic research, 4xr vs 2se. Likely will get one of those. Not sure if the 4xr worth the price difference. Looks like the FR is very similar. Not sure about the build quality...

Now need portable amp for car. Will get some kind of PEQ app for cell phone. Any advice on the amp? I guess I can always get inverter and connect JDS atom or EL, but that would be a bit of an overkill maybe. Ideally, would use OTG cable to by pass internal DAC and connect to the amp/DAC combo...

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The car is very noisy, especially on concrete highway. Using BT or cheap (airline gifted free) earbuds does not work. Too much noise and distortion. Cannot hear/understand the books very well at all. Even when volume at 100% and both buds in, hard to understand much.
Instead of going the IEM route. Having you considered taking the opposite path?
Why not sound dampen your car? For the $1K budget you propose, you can have an extremely dead quiet car riding experience. Then you won't need to put anything on or in your ears. Many good products out there to make your vehicle a silent interior riding experience.

I have helped do this on many vehicles, one of my own trucks, kids cars etc. The results will shock you.
This will not only give you a much more enjoyable riding experience, it will help if or when you decide to sell your vehicle.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Instead of going the IEM route. Having you considered taking the opposite path?
Why not sound dampen your car? For the $1K budget you propose, you can have an extremely dead quiet car riding experience. Then you won't need to put anything on or in your ears. Many good products out there to make your vehicle a silent interior riding experience.

I have helped do this on many vehicles, one of my own trucks, kids cars etc. The results will shock you.
This will not only give you a much more enjoyable riding experience, it will help if or when you decide to sell your vehicle.

I would be interested in that. When I lived in the suburbs I had a Lexus, which was super quiet. In NYC I have a Subaru (because, garaged or street parked, city cars end up looking like crap, and Subarus are supposed to look like crap). I drive it on most weekends up to a country place 2 hrs away, and the higher road and engine noise is bothersome.

You'd think these variable transmissions that cruise under 2kRPM wouldn't be as loud.

Is it a custom treatment, like stereo install?

OP
S

sophie smith

Thanks.
My car is quite old. Not sure I want to invest that much... IEM I can take with me wherever I go, planes, rentals, etc.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Here’s a little portable Amp with PEQ/EQ capabilities and it’s relatively inexpensive. Holds a charge for days.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it a custom treatment, like stereo install?
I suppose you could say that. Car audio realized and adopted dampening long ago, realizing how important it was for a good audio experience.
But many people dampen their vehicles just to quiet it down, doesn't have to be about car audio. Custom, no, easily done yourself.
Something as simple as this is only $56
My car is quite old. Not sure I want to invest that much...
It's really not that much, many people have done it for a couple hundred bucks or way less depending on your vehicle. So, what if it's old, many youngsters love to have an old beater car to put an audio system in, having it already dampened will make it that much more easier for a quick sell when your ready. But, I can definitely understand the hesitation in doing so.

Top Bottom