• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In a fix between Topping EX5 vs Topping E30 and Topping L30 Stack

GeekySimar

Hi All,
I am new in this hobby. I currently have Sennheiser M40x, Moondrop Aria and drive them with Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.
I am looking to upgrade my system now. I have some queries here, can you guys please help me with the understanding the basics here.

1. If I choose to drive my headphones with Headphone Amplifier such as Topping L30, what improvements I will see as compared to using Sonata HD Pro?

2. Why don't we simply use the output of DAC like Topping E30 to drive the headphones? Due to less power? Impedence?

3. Do I really need Headphone Amplifier to drive M40x? (Though I will upgrade that as well in near future and something better)

Considering my above questions, what would be better? Topping EX5 or Toping E30, L30 stack? I will also be using DAC to drive my stereo amplifier.

Simar

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi All,
I am new in this hobby. I currently have Sennheiser M40x, Moondrop Aria and drive them with Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.
I am looking to upgrade my system now. I have some queries here, can you guys please help me with the understanding the basics here.

1. If I choose to drive my headphones with Headphone Amplifier such as Topping L30, what improvements I will see as compared to using Sonata HD Pro?

2. Why don't we simply use the output of DAC like Topping E30 to drive the headphones? Due to less power? Impedence?

3. Do I really need Headphone Amplifier to drive M40x? (Though I will upgrade that as well in near future and something better)

Considering my above questions, what would be better? Topping EX5 or Toping E30, L30 stack? I will also be using DAC to drive my stereo amplifier.

Simar

I own Topping E30/L30 and can recommend them. You will see more power. On my somewhat hard to drive AKG K7xx headphones more power "opened up" sound.
I also own Schiit Modi3/Magni3+ - recommend them too.
From extensibility standpoint you better have 2 units - for powered speakers/subwoofer connections as well as headphones, AVRs etc

Careyw

Old post I know, but did you mean Sennheiser M40X or Audio Technica M40X? If it was the ATs, then the EX5 drives them well with standard gain setting. Also works well with the AT M50X.

ziddy76

I went with EX5 because it has balanced output for powered monitors. It fit my needs perfectly.

The got enough power for my R70x to destroy them and my ears, 480 ohm headphones.

Here is Topping's site if they got updated firmware or drivers for whatever you choose
https://www.tpdz.net/download

That's it from me, audio is simple, digital music has been around for decades. We have mastered DAC and amplifier decades ago. IMO now it's just about creating something affordable with features people desire. That's how I landed on the EX5. It has the features I wanted, and this forum was able to test and verify it's not BS marketing and it does what it claims, produces clean signal to my headphones and my monitors. I will never be tell someone in a blind test I can hear DAC between two well designed ones for example. A DAC is a DAC. I doubt I can hear difference between Qudelix DAC and the Su-8.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
The only reason I can think of to get separates would be if the EX5 doesn't have enough power. That seems unlikely, unless you're using really power hungry headphones like the Hifiman HE-6. Its amp is very clean if not the most powerful, with 50 mV SNR among the best. And perfect channel balance all the way down.
Or, perhaps if you need analog inputs; the EX5 has none.

Reactions: t$$
Top Bottom