• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impulse response of two DACs (Topping D10 & FX-Audio DAC X7)

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I don't know if I will be competent to set up that blind test since those units have a different output level and FR.

But I'm worried about that measurement with 1% THD. It is not normal at all and I need to find out why.

I forgot to mention that I "used" the Topping D10 in both cases.

Setup 1 was : laptop USB > Topping D10 RCA R out >Scarlett 2i4 Jack in > laptop USB (REW)
Setup 2 was : laptop USB > Topping D10 S/PDIF out > FX-Audio Dac X7 RCA R out >Scarlett 2i4 Jack in > laptop USB (REW)

I did that to be able to use the same ASIO drivers all the time.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It could be the output level of the measured DAC is too high for the 2i4 and it is (on the verge of) clipping ?
Usually you can see this in the harmonics spread. When the odd harmonics are plenty and relatively high something is clipping.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It could be the output level of the measured DAC is too high for the 2i4 and it is (on the verge of) clipping ?
Usually you can see this in the harmonics spread. When the odd harmonics are plenty and relatively high something is clipping.

I had Windows at 100% level as always so you may be right! Full output coming from the D10.

But I had like 40 out of 100 on the X7. No full output here.

I think we got it.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DAC X6 was announced with distortion ≤0.001%
I cannot understand that regression. It is like 30 times worse.

Top Bottom