• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impulcifer, Copy speaker sounds to headphones!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As one who has a Smyth A16 Realizer and has captured more than one ultra high end system on it, I can tell you, you are utterly mistaken.
As one who will never have a Smyth A16 Realizer (or even know on sight wtf it is) I'll just have to take your word for it that headphones can be useful. :) I just can't believe it :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your loss. tel:rolleyes:
Meh, just don't see me spending time with gear i don't need to....and headphones are just not something I'm going to spend time with, let alone use in determining "sound" of speakers in a given room as some sort of useful thing at all. YMMV>

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Meh, just don't see me spending time with gear i don't need to....and headphones are just not something I'm going to spend time with, let alone use in determining "sound" of speakers in a given room as some sort of useful thing at all. YMMV>
I hate headphones and never use them (except on airplanes) but the system does work uncannily well.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you think of a better way of getting a 15.1.8 Genelec 8351 system in your house?

Hi phoenixdogfan. Just wondering : do you know what such listening room files look like ? Are they .wav files for a convolution algorithm ? I wonder if they would be compatible with HeSuVi or similar software. Thanks !

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi phoenixdogfan. Just wondering : do you know what such listening room files look like ? Are they .wav files for a convolution algorithm ? I wonder if they would be compatible with HeSuVi or similar software. Thanks !
There was a guy named Darin Fong who figured out how to output his A8 Realiser files as .wav and run them on a PC. There are threads in Head Fi on how to do this if you are so inclined. I personally don't know how, and if I did, I'd probably use them as convolution filters on my phone for OTG.

musicreo

I guess you play a dirac delta sequence on the Realiser and record the headphone output which would be the impulse response.
This way you can easily copy the impulse response from software like OOYH. This way is described in the Wiki for HESUVI.
But for the Realiser this means you have a analogue digital conversion. I'm not sure if the AD conversion is a problem for a dirac delta sequence.
If so, you would need to play a sweep and record the headphone output and do a deconvolution to get the impulse response.

The Realiser PRIR format is proprietary and the reason for that is, that they want to have the option to make money with selling "measurements".
But I think it is strange to sell the Realiser for 4000$ and then you have to go the way over the headphone output to convert the impulse response file into a userfriendly format.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If the clamp bothers you, it bothers you. For me, I barely know my HD 800s are there. Everyone's different, but I think most people will tolerate something like the HD 800s quite well.
I was only speaking for myself and, of course, one cannot deny the popularity of headphone/earphone listening. Let me add, though, that even if the headphones were weightless and physically undetectable, I find listening to headphones/earphones acoustically unacceptable unless connected to a Smyth Realiser.

Anyway, I have speaker-based multichannel systems, so the issue is not important.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was only speaking for myself and, of course, one cannot deny the popularity of headphone/earphone listening. Let me add, though, that even if the headphones were weightless and physically undetectable, I find listening to headphones/earphones acoustically unacceptable unless connected to a Smyth Realiser.

Anyway, I have speaker-based multichannel systems, so the issue is not important.
So do I, but I use phones as well.

I've always eq'd both my HD 800s and my LCD Xs and used either OOYH or the Realizer b/c I agree with you that phones are intolerable without something that puts the sound outside one's skull. But once that's done.....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just looked up the Smyth Realiser units....$4200 to make headphones sound better....nah.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not just better, it makes them sound like loudspeakers.
I'd rather just listen to the loudspeakers...think we're on the same page there. Much rather put the money towards something other than headphones let alone headphone accessories. Do I need special cables too ? :)

OP
CREMA

CREMA

I'd rather just listen to the loudspeakers...think we're on the same page there. Much rather put the money towards something other than headphones let alone headphone accessories. Do I need special cables too ? :)

Most people will agree that it is better to use a real loudspeaker than a headphone copied from a loudspeakers.

However, it is difficult and expensive to have a multi-channel system as good as a listening room that provides measurement services.

It is difficult to allocate your own space for loudspeakers and configure room acoustic.

Some people can't enjoy loudspeakers loudly in their living space. (For reasons such as neighbors or family)

Some people may want to get out of the sweet spot and lie on a soft bed or recliner to listen to music.

Sometimes you want to hear the sound of your loudspeaker system while traveling. There may be times when you want to compose and mix music in a hotel without speakers.

The tool to copy loudspeakers is very helpful in that case. :)

And this is neither an audio accessory nor a cable. It is a complex DSP processing tool that raises the sound of headphones to the level of loudspeakers.

Depending on the situation, this can be a good substitute and competitor for speaker system.

Don't act like an audio primitive.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not just better, it makes them sound like loudspeakers.
Exactly and not just two loudspeakers, but a high end multi-channel setup in an acoustically optimised room which definitely cannot be normally achieved for $4k grand but rather ten times more.

musicreo

Just looked up the Smyth Realiser units....$4200 to make headphones sound better....nah.
I agree that the Realiser is to expensive. But on PC you can use Impulcifer for measurements and EQ-APO for Playback and get a similar results for only a fraction of the cost of the Realiser.

Top Bottom