• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impulcifer, Copy speaker sounds to headphones!

PureLIN

how to use it.
To use it , you need 12 or 60 captured impulse file (not like hesuvi, 1 file only contains 1 postion to left ear and right ear), a sensor for get position data (I recommend valve index, sensor very precise and has good over ear spakers).
And install my homebrew EqualizerAPO (Just install the offical version and replace the EqualizerAPO.dll/VoicemeeterClient.exe, you need shut audiodg.exe if can't replace dll)
Add the example config and it should ready to go.

If you don't have sensor, here is a python script could make sound moving around (it will simulate head yaw and roll)

Attachments

• Release.zip
    544.8 KB · Views: 64
  • send.py.txt
    799 bytes · Views: 45
Last edited:

kthulhutu

@jaakkopasanen I'm interested in giving this a try with a friend.

Just two questions.

1. Would this work with bluetooth headphones?
2. Is it possible to just do L+R speaker measurements if you don't care about surround simulation?

jaakkopasanen

@jaakkopasanen I'm interested in giving this a try with a friend.

Just two questions.

1. Would this work with bluetooth headphones?
2. Is it possible to just do L+R speaker measurements if you don't care about surround simulation?
Yes and yes. Bluetooth has no impact on this. In the measurements guide the first thing to do is a stereo setup before getting into more complex surrround stuff.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just discovered this. Looks VERY interesting.

A few quick and dumb noob questions: does it run on macs, or only on windows or Linux?

How does the sound playback or "output" actually function? Is there a separate playing app or something like that, or does it change the audio output of the pc as such for all audio?

Is there any way of using the calculated algorithm on more mobile devices than a pc, such as headphone amps with dsp equalizers etc?

Or is there a general explanatory article somewhere where all these things are explained? Tagging @jaakkopasanen :)

Last edited:

jaakkopasanen

Just discovered this. Looks VERY interesting.

A few quick and dumb noob questions: does it run on macs, or only on windows or Linux?

How does the sound playback or "output" actually function? Is there a separate playing app or something like that, or does it change the audio output of the pc as such for all audio?

Is there any way of using the calculated algorithm on more mobile devices than a pc, such as headphone amps with dsp equalizers etc?

Or is there a general explanatory article somewhere where all these things are explained? Tagging @jaakkopasanen :)
Impulcifer does only the measurements, not real-time processing. You need a different app for that. On Windows, EqualizerAPO and especially with help of HeSuVi can do that for you. On Linux there's module-virtual-surround-sink for PulseAudio. I don't know what exists on Mac but I imagine some VST plugin with a host would do the work. PC is required as basically none of the independent devices have the processing power to do this many convolution operations in real-time, with the exception of Smyth Realizer and few other dedicated products. The Impulcifer repo in Github and the Wiki are where the documentation lives.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Impulcifer does only the measurements, not real-time processing. You need a different app for that. On Windows, EqualizerAPO and especially with help of HeSuVi can do that for you. On Linux there's module-virtual-surround-sink for PulseAudio. I don't know what exists on Mac but I imagine some VST plugin with a host would do the work. PC is required as basically none of the independent devices have the processing power to do this many convolution operations in real-time, with the exception of Smyth Realizer and few other dedicated products. The Impulcifer repo in Github and the Wiki are where the documentation lives.
Thanks a lot!

q2klepto

Just found out about hesuvi and hrir.. This is interesting as I want to use headphones for night listening

Is it possible to record hrir using minidsp ears?

I already own that rig and would be nice not to buy anymore equipment

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding.. Does this process mimic the actual sound signature of your speakers to play them back on your headphones

For eg I have nice speakers in the LS50 Metas and a 13.1.4 home theater setup... But my headphones are of much higher quality with the Hifiman Susvara

I would like the quality of the susvara but with the positioning / imaging of my home theater

Last edited:

jaakkopasanen

Just found out about hesuvi and hrir.. This is interesting as I want to use headphones for night listening

Is it possible to record hrir using minidsp ears?

I already own that rig and would be nice not to buy anymore equipment

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding.. Does this process mimic the actual sound signature of your speakers to play them back on your headphones

For eg I have nice speakers in the LS50 Metas and a 13.1.4 home theater setup... But my headphones are of much higher quality with the Hifiman Susvara

I would like the quality of the susvara but with the positioning / imaging of my home theater
You could measure HRIR with MiniDSP Ears but I'm not sure why you would. The idea is to measure with in-ear microphones to capture your own personal head related transfer fuction because that's what your brains are used to and nothing else will sound convincing. The HRIR captures speakers, room, your head and ears and includes headphone compensation. This means it will also include any flaws in your speakers and room acoustics.

q2klepto

You could measure HRIR with MiniDSP Ears but I'm not sure why you would. The idea is to measure with in-ear microphones to capture your own personal head related transfer fuction because that's what your brains are used to and nothing else will sound convincing. The HRIR captures speakers, room, your head and ears and includes headphone compensation. This means it will also include any flaws in your speakers and room acoustics.
I already had the EARS on hand and wanted to try it.

Surprisingly works really well.. AB testing is very very close and can only tell on bass heavy material

I may get binaural mics and an interface but it works well enough I think

Top Bottom