• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Improving the headphone-listening experience on an audio unit with a 3.5mm jack?

RobBain

Hi

[I posted a similar question earlier to the wrong sub-forum. Apols]

I have a little Sony digital recorder I use for unattended wildlife sound recording (PCM-A10 with some nice external mics). I record 24-bit at 96kHz (WAV files). I like my recording set-up but the headphone-listening experience from the PCM-A10 feels a little underwhelming. I'm not looking to tamper with my recorded WAVs as it's easy to mutilate delicate wildlife sounds. And I like to listen on cans from a portable source. I just feel that the immersive listening experience could be 'richer'.

From its 3.5mm jack, the PCM-A10 is feeding my 32 Ohm BD770s (which I also like). I like wired cans.

Could someone give me some advice? Should I stick with the PCM-A10 and add a headphone amp (or something) for a bit more punch/definition, or should I simply pop my microSD cards into a DAP (and, if so, which one and why?).

Happy to provide more info. I just wanted to keep this short.

FYI, the wildlife sounds are very soft and gentle. This ain't Slipknot!

Many thanks in advance,

Rob (UK)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's not getting loud enough, or you're running the volume add or near about as loud as it can go, then a headphone amp might help.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
RobBain

RobBain

If it's not getting loud enough, or you're running the volume add or near about as loud as it can go, then a headphone amp might help.

Yeah. Playback volume runs from 0-30 and I'm generally playing back at around 25. So I'm open to suggestions about headphone amps (and a steer regarding which one I should consider trying). Many thanks, Rob

OP
RobBain

RobBain

The PCM-A10 appears to support the LDAC codec for Bluetooth, so I would run your BD 770s from a Qudelix 5K...

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

You get to keep your wired headphones but also break the physical connection to the PCM-A10 - maybe useful for monitoring live recordings without picking up cable noise?

Now, this IS interesting. Thanks Berwhale. FYI, Bluetooth can be used by the PCM-A10 to control the unit (eg. recording settings) from a phone app. It can also be used to sync with wireless cans for playback. It doesn't allow for real-time audio monitoring. Doesn't bother me as I'm never with the recorder when it is recording. I'm in bed and its stuck deep in a forest! Just FYI.

Notwithstanding, your suggestion looks very interesting indeed.

Thanks again,

Rob

Katji

Major Contributor
[btw, in case you don't know, might be interested...] There is a global forest sounds project going on, that I follow on Soundcloud. More of them in UK than anywhere else.

OP
RobBain

RobBain

[btw, in case you don't know, might be interested...] There is a global forest sounds project going on, that I follow on Soundcloud. More of them in UK than anywhere else.

Thanks Katji. For me it's a bit like golf. I really love playing. Really love it. But I have much less interest in watching others doing the same!

Thanks anyway.

Rgds,

Rob

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. Playback volume runs from 0-30 and I'm generally playing back at around 25. So I'm open to suggestions about headphone amps (and a steer regarding which one I should consider trying). Many thanks, Rob

The BTR5 seems like a good choice for you. LDAC Bluetooth is very high quality and unlikely you could tell the difference between it and a wired connection.

OP
RobBain

RobBain

The BTR5 seems like a good choice for you. LDAC Bluetooth is very high quality and unlikely you could tell the difference between it and a wired connection.

Many thanks, Raistlin65. This does seem to be an interesting avenue of investigation. Berwhale earlier pointed me at the Qudelix-5k. Now the BTR5 enters the ring. I need to do some reading!

Regards,

Rob

OP
RobBain

RobBain

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
RobBain

RobBain

Yeah, that really sucks that it doesn't do LDAC. I guess they figure people only need headphones for monitoring a recording, not for critical listening.

The irony being, Raistlin65, that the only way to monitor a live recording with the PCM-A10 is through wired headphones!! Bluetooth is only used for (a) controlling the recording device, and (b) later (off-line) monitoring.

TBH, Bluetooth isn't a priority for me. Nor is Android or streaming services etc. I'm simply trying to find a neat, portable solution to enhance the audio out from my Sony (without distorting my quiet + delicate wildlife sound recordings).

Regards,

Rob

Top Bottom