• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Improving the ASR search function - is it possible?

Would a better search function enhance AudioScienceReview.com?

• Yes - the current one is frustrating!

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Maybe - Let me take another hit or pour another drink and think about it some more...

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • No - I use Google's Site Search and those who cannot are Luddites!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Meh...who cares?

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I'm happy with the current search function

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

Dimitri

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or you could use an asterisk. Also with an asterisk you can select two members only which might let you follow a discussion between two members.
1584215922943.png

1584216042253.png

1584216098266.png

1584216141993.png

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have spent years doing lucene/solr and then elasticsearch. Haven’t done it for a living in a couple years, but if you ever want someone to do something with your elasticsearch, pm me, I’ll do it for free if I can.

Thanks Totoro.

That is exactly what I was looking for. I certainly did not expect Amir to take on such a task, and I know that lot of the regulars who have lots of internet skills and experience have their own methods and don't care. As a former desktop support tech, I was hoping someone would step up to help get search features for the non-computer literate visitors to the site. As for me, I get lazy and like having a good built-in search function.

I remember basic boolean search operators from many years ago, but they seem to have disappeared from many modern search modules. Being able to using a minus sign or having a "does not contain" field, a contains all of the words option, and allowing the use of quotation marks to find specific strings (phrases) would be a big step forward.

Edit: Sometimes I search for phrases, go to a page in the results, and don't see what I searched for - even when I follow up with a page search (Ctrl + F on Windows)

Edit 2: Not looking for a major overhaul - a couple of tweaks might help.

Last edited:
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I find ASR's built-in search to be pretty solid. Could be a bit better -- and I also have some issues when on Firefox on my iPhone -- but overall far better than most other forums I've dealt with.

Turning it around a bit to authors on the site: how often do people creating new threads use tags? (e.g., like this one I started back in November; note all of the tags I used at the top under the title, I think the limit is 10.) I can't speak to how either the XenForo software search feature or Google take tags into account in their respective search algorithms, especially in terms of prioritization. But as authors if you want to help people find your threads -- whether using site search or Google -- I imagine using tags is going to be beneficial.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Consistent and predictable behavior is overrated!
Jokes aside,I have no explanation for this. Yet.
Which browser and OS?
Firefox on Manjaro Linux. I'll try another browser.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that was it. Using Brave Browser which is Chrome-based, it works without an asterisk. I'll have to give it a try on Safari on my MacBook later.

raif71

Major Contributor
I have no issues with current search. So, should I choose the 3rd option ie "No - I use google site search ..... " ?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have no issues with current search. So, should I choose the 3rd option ie "No - I use google site search ..... " ?
Good question, there's no choice that covers our feelings. I used "Who Cares"

raif71

Major Contributor
"who cares" may give the wrong impression that one just doesn't use search but I do use search and I find the search in ASR extremely useful

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
"who cares" may give the wrong impression that one just doesn't use search but I do use search and I find the search in ASR extremely useful
Yea,, six of one and half a dozen of the other. There's just no option for those of us who are happy with the search here.
Yo @Xulonn , how about modifying your poll to have a "I'm happy with the current search" , then we can change our votes to truly reflect our opinion. ;)

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yo @Sal1950 - the deed is done - but only because a fellow Chicago south-sider asked...

I set up the poll to allow votes to be changed.

Top Bottom