• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Improving the ASR search function - is it possible?

Would a better search function enhance AudioScienceReview.com?

• Yes - the current one is frustrating!

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Maybe - Let me take another hit or pour another drink and think about it some more...

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • No - I use Google's Site Search and those who cannot are Luddites!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Meh...who cares?

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I'm happy with the current search function

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yo @Sal1950 - the deed is done - but only because a fellow Chicago south-sider asked...

I set up the poll to allow votes to be changed.
Thanks, you the MAN.. The deed is done.

Totoro

The problem is that whatever is done, then requires work on integration with the platform software. The UI is part of the latter.
True enough. The auto suggester would be relatively easy pro integrate, I would think. The NER thing would change the schema, so that might be more painful.
Thanks Totoro.

That is exactly what I was looking for. I certainly did not expect Amir to take on such a task, and I know that lot of the regulars who have lots of internet skills and experience have their own methods and don't care. As a former desktop support tech, I was hoping someone would step up to help get search features for the non-computer literate visitors to the site. As for me, I get lazy and like having a good built-in search function.

I remember basic boolean search operators from many years ago, but they seem to have disappeared from many modern search modules. Being able to using a minus sign or having a "does not contain" field, a contains all of the words option, and allowing the use of quotation marks to find specific strings (phrases) would be a big step forward.

Edit: Sometimes I search for phrases, go to a page in the results, and don't see what I searched for - even when I follow up with a page search (Ctrl + F on Windows)

Edit 2: Not looking for a major overhaul - a couple of tweaks might help.
one thing to think about if a change were to be made would be to show the user the actual query after tokenization/stopwording/stemming/whatever is happening before the query is run.

Jarrett

Can you please pin the thread/article, which explains the suite of tests in your reviews? I've spent the last 10 minutes searching the forum for it, it's so frustrating.

KSTR

Major Contributor
I'm also one those who finds the current search function as unusable as eg the file search in Windows (where I have to use 3rd party software as after XP most things UI related in Windows went completely downhill).

What I would like to see is a full set of qualifiers (with AND, OR and NOT operations, single and multicharacter wildcards or whole word vs partial match, etc etc) and an unlimited and undoable iterative search (search within the current results) to narrow things down

For example, I recently searched a post of mine where I knew I had attached a file, so only two almost ridiculously simple qualifiers. Impossible to do, and that's extremely frustrating and it took me half an hour to finally locate it, having to skim through a huge pre-selection of my posts containing some keywords that I thought I had used.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm also one those who finds the current search function as unusable as eg the file search in Windows (where I have to use 3rd party software as after XP most things UI related in Windows went completely downhill).

What I would like to see is a full set of qualifiers (with AND, OR and NOT operations, single and multicharacter wildcards or whole word vs partial match, etc etc) and an unlimited and undoable iterative search (search within the current results) to narrow things down

For example, I recently searched a post of mine where I knew I had attached a file, so only two almost ridiculously simple qualifiers. Impossible to do, and that's extremely frustrating and it took me half an hour to finally locate it, having to skim through a huge pre-selection of my posts containing some keywords that I thought I had used.

That describes the some of the experiences I have had, which is the reason I started this thread - and some of the things I would like to see implemented.

Top Bottom