• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Improving my little setup

Pelic

Hi,
Excuse first my poor english :cool:
I'm quite new in hifi
After many years without a decent hifi setup, Santa Claus V2022 brought me a little setup.
I'm now discovering again my digital library :D

Quick description :

NAS (Qnap TS-230) -> an Old Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 - SM-P600 with BubbleUPnP -> Streamer/DAC IEAST AUDIOCAST PRO M50 Chip ESS ES9023 (RJ45 with NAS) -> Toslink -> Aiyma T9 -> Eltax Monitor III

You also have to know this setup stands in a 100m² living room

Everything works and sound great but i definitely don't have an real audiophile earing (some tintinus problems...)
Anyway.

For now, i'm wondering if it would be a good idea to boost the AMP part of this setup :

Q1 : Regarding the size of my living room, should i use the T9 as a pre-amp and add a more powerful Class D Amp (like Aiyima A07 ?) base on this (yellow) wiring diagram ?
Q2 : Can my little bookshelf Eltax allow more power without suffering ?
Q3 : Could i get significant enhancement by adding a dedicaded budget DAC (like SMSL SANSKRIT, Topping D10, ...) in replacement of the integrated ESS 9023 chip of the Streamer ?

1675934218739.png

Thx !
Regards

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Hello and welcome to ASR.

In the first place, upgrading by just adding power will not do much for the sound.

You have small speakers in a large room. I’d also say that they, and the tube preamp stage, look like the weak points here. You haven’t mentioned a budget and the A07 is inexpensive: and we don’t know the room layout which will determine how to upgrade.

My instinct though would be to start with a subwoofer, then look to upgrade the speakers. These changes along with improvements to the room (they can be as simple as repositioning the speakers and putting a thick rug on the floor) will give the best improvement to the sound.

If when you choose a speaker it requires a more powerful amp, there is for me a case in changing the amp first so you keep decent sound through the upgrades,

Top Bottom