• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Improving a step at a time

Dpflynn59

I have Klipsch Heresy IV speakers, a Yamaha RX-V685 AVR, and I'm thinking of adding a Schitt Aegir amp to (hopefully) improve stereo music SQ. Because of budget constraints, I plan to use the Yamaha as a preamp for the Aegir.

The Yamaha is rated at 105W into 8 ohms, 2 channels driven. If 0db on the Yamaha volume meter is full power, my understanding is that -3 should be 52.5W; -6 should be 26.25W; -9 should be 13.125W; -12db/6.6W; -15db/3.3W; -18db/1.6W; -21db/0.8W.

The Heresy's are quite sensitive (Klipsch says 99db, fwiw.) Most of my listening is at volumes below -25db. Maybe 10% is at ~ -20db. <1% is above -18db. Most music, at -12db is unlistenably loud. If any of this is correct, I'm spending most of my listening in the first watt or two from the Yamaha.

The Aegir is rated as 20W/channel into 8 ohms, with "over 10W of Class A standing bias", which is my motivation for buying this amp. I was initially concerned about the low power rating, but based on my amateur volume/power analysis, this should not be a problem at all.

Am I understanding all of this properly? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Dave

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sort of, but you are not taking dynamics into account that can be 12-15db over your average listening volumes. So think of your amp being set at -15db and dynamic peaks reaching to 0db.

Also, here is a NFS measurement by @hardisj on the Heresy IV speakers.

I don't think switching amps is going to help much.

If you really want to switch amps, that amp measures well for what it is, but at $800 I would be looking at a Buckeye 252mp amp at $500 and then save the $300 for a new set of speakers if you want good sound quality. The Heresy IV's have their place and look pretty cool IMO, but I wouldn't be buying those for sound quality purposes.

Link to Buckeye Amps.

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom