• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Improving a HTPC audio chain.

OP
T

tuskenraider

Sound like a cool system already!
I think the easiest way would be to set the Yammy to "direct" and disable all prost processing on the AVR side while testing Dirac. That's how I do it with mine (it too ahs YPAO but I never use it).

I think, if you like the Dirac PC implementation, you could be done with the system itself after getting the NCore amp. Next step would be to look at room treatments, if applicable.

Don't feel bad regarding JRiver. I never got to vibe with it as well and stuck to the more simple foobar2000, that handles all my audio needs faithfully. :'D
I've just done room treatments about a month ago after repainting the room. Bunch of 4" panels form ATS and Acoustimac, and changed vertical blinds to some "acoustic" curtains. It was a nice reduction in flutter echo and decay times, but the frequency response wasn't improved much. I'm not doing any further room treatment at this point, as I installed what I could for the space and can live with it. It's coming along. I was a little active doing home A/V 20 years ago, and recently got the bug to upgrade speakers from my old Paradigm Studios and then..................just reading and learning a lot in so many areas. This place is technical, but hopefully I'll pick up on things. Thanks.

PXL_20220413_200734720.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20220421_213725153.jpg

The debate that has ensued, well..............:D

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The debate that has ensued, well..............:D
These things happen. It's just a debate, even when some folks apparently take it personally. *shrug*

Honestly, your system looks really nice.
I feel that besides the DSP Frequency response correction, there isn't much else left to do but lean back and enjoy the music/movie. :D

OP
T

tuskenraider

Take a look at Media Player Classic Black Edition. Install it, run through the settings real quick. Enable MPC Renderer in the audio section and set it for Exclusive Mode. Exit the program.

Now all you have to do is click on a movie or music file in windows explorer and it will pop up and play it for you ... Easy Peasy.
You can also save playlists and when you click them, it pops up to play them from explorer too.

After you use it a bit, you will find you can customize it's behaviour very easily, too...
I've have/used the HC version, and see this is more actively developed. I really hope they revive Winamp as has been stated. I'll keep going back to it because.....Milkdrop visualization. I thoroughly enjoy it with my music. It is amazing that there is still no modern software that can best it. I've read about the messy implementation into JRiver, but haven't explored it further. Thanks.

OP
T

tuskenraider

Ultimately, it seems I'll work on getting the best room correction to improve sound. I know my software playback options that can present an unmolested audio signal from the PC, I can stick with the Yamaha AVR for DAC and bypass YPAO, if software Dirac works out. Otherwise I give up on software Dirac, save $500 and swap to the Denon/Audyssey AVR for superior performance in room correction than the Yamaha. Oh, and get the Audyssey Multieq-X app I see they just released. The Audiophonics class D amp is replacing the Parasound regardless. Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom