• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Improve Raspberry 4 streamer

Berlin

What "did not" ? Audible Difference between the two options? I dont get it ...

Correct. I wanted to know if the HiFiBerry Digi2 Pro provides a better sound quality (S/PDIF output) than the USB output of the Raspberry Pi 4. I could not hear any difference. The same applies to the Allo DigiOne. For that reason I sold both Hats and stream occasionally via the Raspberry Pi 4 (USB output) to my Hegel. The Hegel cannot play gaplessly via UPnP. The Raspberry Pi can...

OP
officialsm

officialsm

Today i compared Auralic G1 streamer with my Raspberry (Moode 7.3) with Lector Digicode S-192, Accupahse E 550 and Harberth speakers.
There is a stark difference, the Raspberry has more background noise and less sound stage, less crisp sound. A distinctly audible difference. With these electronics Raspberry remains pleasantly audible.

chefffe

Today i compared Auralic G1 streamer with my Raspberry (Moode 7.3) with Lector Digicode S-192, Accupahse E 550 and Harberth speakers.
There is a stark difference, the Raspberry has more background noise and less sound stage, less crisp sound. A distinctly audible difference. With these electronics Raspberry remains pleasantly audible.
When I look at the inside of this streamer I know ... there is no way that it could beat any Raspi comparing price - performance. Just the display of my Raspi is 7 inch and costed only 40 bucks :D

Raindog123

Major Contributor
(1) I do not think it is “needed” under any circumstances. (2) My RPi‘s, both 3 and 4, with the latest RoPieee, can send 24/192 to my DACs (the highest the DACs support).

Last edited:

chefffe

(1) I do not think it is “needed” under any circumstances. (2) My RPi‘s, both 3 and 4, with the latest RoPieee, can send 24/198 to my DACs (the highest the DACs support).
Can you tell me how did u set it up for 24/198?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Can you tell me what software you use and how did u set it up? Is it USB audio

It’s latest RoPieee (3.107, though as I‘ve just checked there is a new RoPieee version available :) ). My RPi‘s are end-points for Roon (the core running on a Win10 Dell gaming rig) connected over USB to a Schiit Modi 3 and Modi 3+. Streams are from Qobuz, and go all the way to Modi‘s at up to 24/192.

EDIT: Not that it matters, but just updated both RPi’s to RoPieee v.3.113.

Last edited:

chefffe

Ok I see, Roon is nothing for me as I am satisfied with Picoreplayer and dont accept an ABO model. Still the question is if there is something to setup for USB HD Audio in Picoreplayer?

deprogrammed

I call bullshit. Love to see you try it blind.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Today i compared Auralic G1 streamer with my Raspberry

For what it’s worth, I’ve extensively - over ~3 months - compared Auralic Aries Mini vs RPi 4 (with RoPieee) as Roon end-points connected to an external Schiit Modi 3 DAC (in both cases the Modi was powered by a Li battery). I did not notice any sound quality difference. (The only difference was in Auralic being a bit slow responding to [Roon iPad remote] commands - start, pause, track change - lagging by about a second.) Aries Mini is not G1, but apart from the clock stabilization they are pretty similar, processor and SW wise.

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I call bullshit. Love to see you try it blind

There migh have been two significantly different signal processing chains. Eg, people like configuring Auralic’s LDS with all kind of upsampling and filtering, and I have no clue what this Moode 7.3 does…. And was the Lector DAC used with both streamers? Just thinking out loud.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You do appreciate that these devices provide a pcm stream right i.e not an audio signal?

OP
officialsm

officialsm

There migh have been two significantly different signal processing chains. Eg, people like configuring Auralic’s LDS with all kind of upsampling and filtering, and I have no clue what this Moode 7.3 does…. And was the Lector DAC used with both streamers? Just thinking out loud.
Of course same dac and same usb cable

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course same dac and same usb cable
You say ‘of course’ as if other causes for an actual difference in sound could exist. :)
Edit: just a thought, have you eliminated the possibility that you are using different eq settings on each streamer?

Last edited:
OP
officialsm

officialsm

You say ‘of course’ as if other causes for an actual difference in sound could exist. :)
Edit: just a thought, have you eliminated the possibility that you are using different eq settings on each streamer?

Yes no eq settings

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes no eq settings
OK, thought it worth checking. If you haven’t changed any other components around and the streamers are set up the same you can assume that you are likely mistaken that you are hearing an actual difference, not saying that the perception that there is a difference won’t be totally convincing or that you are making it up.

OP
officialsm

officialsm

For what it’s worth, I’ve extensively - over ~3 months - compared Auralic Aries Mini vs RPi 4 (with RoPieee) as Roon end-points connected to an external Schiit Modi 3 DAC (in both cases the Modi was powered by a Li battery). I did not notice any sound quality difference. (The only difference was in Auralic being a bit slow responding to [Roon iPad remote] commands - start, pause, track change - lagging by about a second.) Aries Mini is not G1, but apart from the clock stabilization they are pretty similar, processor and SW wise.

What kind of power supply are you using for Raspberry in this scenario?

OP
officialsm

officialsm

Out of curiosity, what were your LDS ‘Processor Setup’ settings? Can you post your resampling rules page snapshot? And what LDS filter did you use?
Auralic G1 is not mine, i will ask to my friend ad possible

Top Bottom