• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impressive binaural effect

astr0b0y

Ive listened to plenty of binaural recordings over the years with varying degrees of "wow" factor. Most music sounds to me like early stereo recordings with very hard pans so I never listened for long.
However I just came across a startlingly good sound effect sample while reading a page on headphone testing.

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

The binaural sample is second last test on the page so scroll down. No matter how often I listened I was tricked into "feeling" the knocks were coming from the walls around me.
So I’ve spent the last 15 minutes trying to locate other effects that were as convincing but none come close.
Anyone else have a good source?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh crap! :) WHen the first knocks started I literally turned my head thinking someone was banging on the wall on the right! Folks should try it with any headphone. This is the part you want (this is just a picture -- go to the site):

upload_2017-9-8_8-35-44.png

My image was slightly behind me and super realistic. One thing is for sure: no normal stereo recording remotely creates such an experience.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom