• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impressions and internal photos of the Audiophonics MPA-S250NC

simbloke

Forum Donor
Edit: Doh, you're taking about the stereo version...

Just got two of these amps today. No problems at all, no noise from the units and no noise to be heard from the tweeters when nothing is playing. Today is about as warm as it gets around here and I can't feel any heat from the cases.

I've linked the trigger inputs together with a 3.5mm cable so I only have to press one button to turn them both on. Mine are in a cabinet so the white light doesn't show too much.

So I plan on ordering the MPA-S250NC XLR version, but for the time being, hook it up to RCA output only devices, being my Denon AVR-X3600H or Oppo UDP-203's pre-outs. I want to get the XLR balanced version for futureproofing, but with my current devices, are there any potential issues or concerns by connecting the amp to the dac/pre-out with XLR Male to RCA Male interconnects (like this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777 ), or is it recommended to get the RCA inputs version instead?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I plan on ordering the MPA-S250NC XLR version, but for the time being, hook it up to RCA output only devices, being my Denon AVR-X3600H or Oppo UDP-203's pre-outs. I want to get the XLR balanced version for futureproofing, but with my current devices, are there any potential issues or concerns by connecting the amp to the dac/pre-out with XLR Male to RCA Male interconnects (like this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777 ), or is it recommended to get the RCA inputs version instead?

I would have a concern if the RCA to XLR adaptor is wired correctly per hypex. The only two adaptors I know for sure meet the hypex spec are from Benchmark and March Audio.

I would have a concern if the RCA to XLR adaptor is wired correctly per hypex. The only two adaptors I know for sure meet the hypex spec are from Benchmark and March Audio.
I got the Monoprice cables in, they work perfectly for unbalanced output to balanced input, no issues. They might not work the other way around, but for my scenario, $15 worth of Monoprice was all it took.

A review on the monoprice page confirms it:
They are wired properly. Pin 2 of the XLR goes to the RCA plug center contact. Pin 3 of XLR goes to the other wire conductor in the twisted pair cable and then attaches to the outer contact of the RCA plug. And lastly pin 1 of the XLR is connected to the shield of the cable which then goes to the outer contact of the RCA plug also. This is correct for unbalanced out to balanced in. If hooking up your equipment in this fashion causes hum you have a ground loop somewhere else in your system.

Also, I got the MPA-S250NC in already. Only took 4 business days to arrive from France to east coast USA. Wow! I guess most of their covid-induced supply chain issues are fully resolved now.

Possibly stupid question: If I get 1 or 2 more of these amps, 1 mono for the center and another two channel for surrounds, can I trigger all 3 of them on from a single trigger out with one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKB71SW

Since there's no trigger out, I'll have to come up with something. I've heard of people splitting the trigger once, but haven't heard of 3 times (or more).

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The left channel (white) RCA "hot" wire seems like it has a borderline cold solder joint at the jack. I can feel my arm twitching, wanting to compulsively touch up that joint.....

Mark_x

Possibly stupid question: If I get 1 or 2 more of these amps, 1 mono for the center and another two channel for surrounds, can I trigger all 3 of them on from a single trigger out with one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKB71SW

Since there's no trigger out, I'll have to come up with something. I've heard of people splitting the trigger once, but haven't heard of 3 times (or more).

very interesting question. ask the manufacturer a question
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/contact-us

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Not hokey at all - as I was falling asleep last night I thought, "What if I just used a Sharpie?" I wasn't sure how well it would work, though - specifically how even the blacking-out would look and whether it would be removable later. So I appreciate your report! I'll probably try it.

Ah, that must have been it - explains why my searches turned up nothing. Many thanks!

I don't hear any buzzing on mine. However, I have my unit connected to a DC blocker - I had to get one because my prior amp has a giant toroidal transformer that would quietly but audibly buzz, no doubt from dirty AC on my local municipal grid.

From what I've read, toroidals are more susceptible to buzzing than conventional transformers, and the transformers in the Class D amps aren't terribly large, so it's possible the mechanical buzzing you're hearing could be from something else. But the fact that the sound is not very loud, can't be heard from far away, is not coming through the speakers, and apparently is not experienced by most folks, suggests to me that DC in your AC feed might be the culprit.
Hi which dc blocker are you using? I can hear my refrigerator motor everytime it is starting/stopping through my system not to mention the air conditioning unit especially if i connect it to the same power outlet.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi which dc blocker are you using? I can hear my refrigerator motor everytime it is starting/stopping through my system not to mention the air conditioning unit especially if i connect it to the same power outlet.
Try an Emotiva CMX-2 strip.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a nice unit but i need an EU version. Is there a chance a double conversion ups can work?
Use as UE plug from the wall to the strip, and US cables to the amp and DAC?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

john61ct

I need an adaptation to run this unit

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14185.html

off DC input, any wattage, any voltage up to 385Vdc,

I have no access to main/ grid AC power.

Is this possible? Willing to pay for modifications, or I will yry to figure it out if anyone can simply assure it will work.

Realizing I will be waiving any warranty.

I know it can be done with ICEpower 250A's but looking for the better SQ.

As an alternative, are there decently priced finished Purifi based units where such a mod would be easier? Driving LS50's , so want true 125Wpc into 8 ohm.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need an adaptation to run this unit

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14185.html

off DC input, any wattage, any voltage up to 385Vdc,

I have no access to main/ grid AC power.

Is this possible? Willing to pay for modifications, or I will yry to figure it out if anyone can simply assure it will work.

Realizing I will be waiving any warranty.

I know it can be done with ICEpower 250A's but looking for the better SQ.

As an alternative, are there decently priced finished Purifi based units where such a mod would be easier? Driving LS50's , so want true 125Wpc into 8 ohm.

Why not just use an external inverter?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@CDMC - I recognize that avatar photo - from the same shoot as this one...

Pink Floyd Women.jpg

john61ct

Why not just use an external inverter?
I really dislike them on principle, good ones cost a lot at high watts, more than a good amp in fact, they are heavy and take up scarce space, and they are a lot less energy efficient than the specs claimed.

With other appliance categories not available in native DC versions at reasonable pricing, I can always start up a genset, needed to run a few times a week anyway

but doing so for listening to high SQ audio is silly, and afaict SS hifi converts to DC native internally anyway

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really dislike them on principle, good ones cost a lot at high watts, more than a good amp in fact, they are heavy and take up scarce space, and they are a lot less energy efficient than the specs claimed.

With other appliance categories not available in native DC versions at reasonable pricing, I can always start up a genset, needed to run a few times a week anyway

but doing so for listening to high SQ audio is silly, and afaict SS hifi converts to DC native internally anyway

What about a quality car amplifier? They are dc to start with?

john61ct

What about a quality car amplifier? They are dc to start with?
Yes that is the easy route, but I am skeptical of SQ in that category. My boating friends say JL Audio and Wet Sounds are OK?

Reco's welcome, but really would like to learn how to work with the nCore or Purifi modules instead

Top Bottom