• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impossible to edit after 24h - That's quite short.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could we extend to 3 days ?

It's quite short when you try to share a "review with measurements" like this one
and somehow correct it after "Peer review"

(Typically, "peers" are much more clever and knowledgeable than me. I'm not their equal. But that's the common wording, I think)

Reactions: GDK

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tried on a post that was over a month old, no problem. Or does it only affect new posts?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm did this come with the update as well?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Reputable folks might "ask" an admin for such a privilege.

I did.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have no problem with 24hrs. You write something, you post it and people read and reply to that post. Going back in time to edit a post changes the entire landscape of a thread.

If you make a mistake, own it and post a correction. Easy.

There's been plenty of members who constantly edited and changed posts after the fact, which was infuriating to those who posted afterwards. Historical revisionism in threads is not conducive to a coherent conversation.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
@amirm did this come with the update as well?
I can answer, this has been this way for some time and predates this update. See post 3 link for clarification as posted by @Sancus above. The 24 hour time cut off for editing posts exists for all Members with the exception of Donors and Members with custom Tags that include unlimited edit time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no problem with 24hrs. You write something, you post it and people read and reply to that post. Going back in time to edit a post changes the entire landscape of a thread.

If you make a mistake, own it and post a correction. Easy.

There's been plenty of members who constantly edited and changed posts after the fact, which was infuriating to those who posted afterwards. Historical revisionism in threads is not conducive to a coherent conversation.
I add a period or correct a spelling mistake sometimes but I don't change the conversation no matter how dumb I looked in the comment. It's just not right to do that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I add a period or correct a spelling mistake sometimes but I don't change the conversation. It's just not right to do that.

Same for me. Speeling spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, but not rewriting. ;)

raif71

Major Contributor
1632269949701.png

Sometimes 24 hours seem to last a whole season :D

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you of course need to keep things coherent.
As an example, specify in text that you changed it.
But, especially if one tries to assemble a coherent piece of information, being able to improve the text is helpful.

At least, the original thread creator should be able to update the original post longer.
That's the very principle of "peer review".

If that's meant to conter people doing bad things, 24h is way too long already, anyway.
They would do it in the first few hours.

And also: this should be known when you post.
I got a message when too late.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
I've seen activity on forums before where disgruntled members come back and start editing all their posts, basically removing them and ruining the flow or information in threads... so it's a good idea and pretty standard to have a time limit on editing posts.

JSmith

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen activity on forums before where disgruntled members come back and start editing all their posts, basically removing them and ruining the flow or information in threads... so it's a good idea and pretty standard to have a time limit on editing posts.

JSmith
I understand that.

But where do you put the priority ?
Preventing bad things from bad-behaving people or helping good will and information quality improvement?

JSmith

Master Contributor
But where do you put the priority ?
I agree 3 days is more reasonable than 24 hours, however some forums have much less than 24 hours for standard members.

On a case by case basis I'm sure mods/admin will be more than happy to unlock editing on a certain post after this time or edit it for the member.

I'm just glad that after the forum software update, those silly reaction choices are gone and just back to a like or thumbs up. Downvotes never work well, tend to be abused and are too much like FB. :)

Xenforo is capable of having many more emoticons though, so it would be nice to see some more of those activated, as the current selection is fairly basic and limited.

JSmith

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes
That sounds like the best option.

I still think original poster should be allowed more time though.
But OK

Top Bottom