• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Importance of having a remote or app with subwoofer?

Ramsay

I'm trying to make a buying decision regarding my first subwoofer. One issue I need advice on is the practical, day to day value of having a remote or app to make periodic adjustments to crossover, sub volume, etc. My specific questions are:
1. I can understand the obvious value and convenience of having an app (like SVS has) or remote when you are initially setting it up, fine tuning, calibrating, etc. It's easier to sit in your seat in your typical listening spot, rather than walking back and forth to adjust the sub while dialing it in.
2. However, once you've made the initial adjustments and fine tuned the sub to your liking, how often are you likely to need or want to make adjustments in the future? Is it reasonable to assume that the main value of the app or remote is satisfied once you've dialed it in and you are not likely to need the app or remote after that? Thanks

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I'm trying to make a buying decision regarding my first subwoofer. One issue I need advice on is the practical, day to day value of having a remote or app to make periodic adjustments to crossover, sub volume, etc. My specific questions are:
1. I can understand the obvious value and convenience of having an app (like SVS has) or remote when you are initially setting it up, fine tuning, calibrating, etc. It's easier to sit in your seat in your typical listening spot, rather than walking back and forth to adjust the sub while dialing it in.
2. However, once you've made the initial adjustments and fine tuned the sub to your liking, how often are you likely to need or want to make adjustments in the future? Is it reasonable to assume that the main value of the app or remote is satisfied once you've dialed it in and you are not likely to need the app or remote after that? Thanks
Interesting question. I don’t have an app for my subs. But I do make adjustments to their trim levels on a daily basis. Using my AVR Sub channel trims. I have different settings for music, regular tv shows and Movies. I doubt if I had both the App and the AVR that I would use the App much. As you said, pretty handy for setup. After that if you have an AVR the app becomes redundant. However, if you don’t have an AVR then I can see using the App every day perhaps.

Not certain that the above is helpful.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I never change the levels once setup. However, most subs with apps have parametric EQ. I think that at subwoofer frequencies having parametric EQ is a game changer. If you have a source with an EQ (a PC with Equalizer APO, a MiniDSP or RME device, a receiver with Audessey or DIRAC) then a dumb sub is fine. If your source is dumb and not correcting for room modes, then the EQ on the sub is very helpful.

Peluvius

Forum Donor

I have a micro 3000 and use the app all the time, mainly for individual volume. I also have a Genelec 7360 that I tweak using GLM. The ability to vary the sub tuning and calibration from the listening position is very effective for me to the extent that it would sway my decision of one sub over another. It also lets you do A/B comparisons effectively which I was never able to to when you have to crawl around on the floor between each listen. I also have an older and much loved PB12 plus that it a total PIA to tune and tweak by comparison.

I like to lift bass a bit when I am listening at lower volumes which I do on and off through the day and turn it down when I am watching youtube or on a con call.

levimax

Major Contributor
I just integrated 2 SVS SB3000 subs into my system. I have active crossovers and DSP FIR filters but I found I used the app on the subwoofers to fine tune things (easier and quicker than re-running DIRAC or in my case changing the FIR filters with REW and Rephase). I use REW with MMM method and you can see the FR changes in real time as you adjust the delay. Also fine FR adjustments. In my case once set up I don't use the sub app anymore as I have tone controls if I need to change something for a recording.

SVS doesn't use a remote, all adjustments are done on a phone app.

MAB

Major Contributor
The subwoofer-crawl is certainly undignified, and an app can help with that. I would argue that REW and a UMIK-1 (for instance) could reduce the number of times you actually need to adjust your sub, and make those interactions more productive.

rollmottle

Speaking from experience, trying to integrate subs without the ability to remotely tune their settings is a huge pain in the ass. When you factor in placement potentially up against walls or in corners and trying to twist imprecise knobs from above and backwards, I always recommend subs you can tune remotely.

dkinric

My personal experience is I have 2 two subs tuned with Dirac Room correction via mini DSP. I use the sub app all the time to adjust bass level (sub volume) depending on source (ex. Roon vs You Tube) and even different recordings within the same source as they all are mastered differently. The ability to do that within a few secs from the listening position to optimize the bass level is important to me. I would consider it a must have feature (for me).

jtongret

Unfortunately, this is all individual preference and only you can decide how important it is to you. Are you someone who makes frequent adjustments to your subwoofer based on the content, or are you a set it and forget it listener? Does your system have a preamp or processor that has any sort of bass management control or the ability to save different settings/profiles that you can easily toggle between? You need to determine what your priorities are in adding a subwoofer. If your top priority is the most performance available for your given budget, then are you willing to sacrifice some convenience/features for that? If cost isn't a factor to you then of course you could have it all at a considerable expense.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Let me set aside the value of a remote for setup, and just focus on the value for everyday listening adjustments.

I simply will not have a system anymore, that doesn't allow independent subwoofer level control.
At a minimum, i want a master volume control for the entire speaker & sub; and a separate volume control for the sub to raise or lower output to taste, vs the master control.

Bass content / tonal balance simply vary too much, track by track, to live with one fived sub-to-main level.
Also, I find as i raise and lower SPL, that adjusting the sub to fit FM loudness curves, and freq dependent room absorption vs SPL,
really helps maintain a pleasant tonal balance (that otherwise varies with SPL).

Should probably add, I don't think any sub parameter other than volume should be adjusted real-time however.
Xover points/types/orders are certainly a one time setup, as well as EQ's for taming room modes.

JEarle

Forum Donor
Is it not better to use the bass tone control to adjust LF level after calibration is done? I’ve always thought that would keep sub to top alignment correct and just alter the overall sound to whatever is desired.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Is it not better to use the bass tone control to adjust LF level after calibration is done? I’ve always thought that would keep sub to top alignment correct and just alter the overall sound to whatever is desired.
Good question.
One I've played with a lot....whether to have a separate volume control for the sub, or have tone controls that span both the sub and main.
Both work, I guess it probably matters most which technique you get used to using.

That said, the reason I've come to prefer a separate volume control for the sub, is I've found the frequencies <100Hz are usually the only ones I want to adjust relative output level on.
Seems most tracks are pretty tonally consistent from 100Hz on up (at least up through the upper mid-range).

When I use a low-end tone control, unless it has been carefully sculpted, it usually also effects the range above 100Hz range more than I like.
I find excessive 150-300Hz content muddies things up, and isn't always immediately apparent....other than the music loosing some life.
Whereas excessive sub output, boominess below 100Hz, is readily apparent.
So i find it is safe to simply dial sub to taste, no matter how much boost or cut it takes sometimes to achieve tonal balance,
and not be concerned with mucking up sound above the sub range.
Just what I've come to like......

UCrazyKid

I think you are better off buying a sound meter and using an app to do sound sweeps. Set it once correctly and forget it.

Top Bottom