• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

impedance question for electronics wizards.

xtrap225

i am hoping someone with a very good understanding of electronics can answer this for me.

i have this AIYIMA A3001 TPA3255 Subwoofer amplifier, and i am wondering if it has intelligence or inherent or otherwise that would prevent you from plugging in a subwoofer wired down to 1ohm.

i have linked it but the specs clearly state it is meant for 4 to 8 ohms.

when i plugged in this subwoofer that comes wired down to 1ohm it wouldn't work. whereas my expectation was that i would be in danger of burning out the amplifier but not that it wouldn't work at all.

i rewired the sub to 4ohms and its all good. just wondering if anyone knows the answer or could explain it. i have tried searching and searching and this doesn't seem to be someone that anyone else is dumb enough to do. Since that is the case, i also can't find the answer to this question so, i am really hoping someone else can help explain it to expand my understanding.

cheers.

Holmz

Major Contributor
i am hoping someone with a very good understanding of electronics can answer this for me.

i have this AIYIMA A3001 TPA3255 Subwoofer amplifier, and i am wondering if it has intelligence or inherent or otherwise that would prevent you from plugging in a subwoofer wired down to 1ohm.

i have linked it but the specs clearly state it is meant for 4 to 8 ohms.

Then it will not work.
….
when i plugged in this subwoofer that comes wired down to 1ohm it wouldn't work.

On the amazon link it says”
  • Pre-wired Internally for a 1 Ohm Final Impedance Load at the Terminals for an Easy Installation
(God only knows why almost every work starts in caps.)
But that sort implies that it could be 2x w-ohm dual voice coils.
So just bust into it and wire them in series (or get a different subwoofer.)

Many would suggest a bigger diameter cone if you do to ale ready own that sub.

OP
xtrap225

xtrap225

yes i suspect you are all correct. that it either sees it as no load aka it can't detect 1ohm so it sees it as infinite resistance. or it sees it as far to low and protection kicks in.

either way thanks all for responding.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Get an amplifier rated for the 1 ohm load and use the sub as intended. Wiring the voice coils in series reduces current to 1/4 the current when wired in parallel. In other words the sub will not have the "impact" wired in series.

Lambda

Major Contributor
It will work! but not at full power.
if you crank up the volume the the 1 Ohm load draws 4 times more current compared to a 4Ohm load and the amp can get damaged.
But at 1/4 the output voltage the 1Ohm load wont draw more current then the 4Ohm load at full output voltage so you will be fine.

At -12dB your AMP shuld be fine. with 1Ohm.

Holmz

Major Contributor
yes i suspect you are all correct. that it either sees it as no load aka it can't detect 1ohm so it sees it as infinite resistance. or it sees it as far to low and protection kicks in.

either way thanks all for responding.

No, ^that^ is not at all what happens.
There is a lot of distance between 0 and infinity.

Top Bottom