• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impact of Ceiling Cloud - a tribute to my wife

CapMan

Major Contributor
image.jpg
25D3A215-F7BB-49FF-8BED-31FA74342E2A.jpeg
I’ve been using REW to take some room measurements before and after various room treatments have been added. I can’t put sufficient bass trapping in to make it worth while so I have focused on managing primary reflections. Bass issues are taken care of with DSP.

Today my wonderful wife allowed me to put a ceiling cloud in our living room - it’s white and fairly tasteful, but I can’t think of many that would tolerate her hubby in this way. So this is just a shout out for her !

I have absorbers at side wall, rear wall and ceiling and the ETC curve looks a lot better.

Still some spurious peaks to explore - most likely the floor. Decay time is down from 400 to 200ms. ETC curve attached for Left speaker - blue is no treatment , red with the Absorbers.

The impact on imaging has been really positive . So, thanks again Mrs CapMan.

£180 well spent @ Thomann for the ceiling cloud .

Last edited:
OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Wow, yes!!! A keeper to be certain. ;)
The cloud has made a tangible difference in detail, clarity and imaging that are reflected in the measurements shown . The room doesn’t feel overly dry. Very happy.

Would recommend that everyone does some basic room treatment before dealing with electronics.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Interesting. What are you trying to achieve here?

I wanted to create some approximation of a reflection free zone to improve imaging and clarity. It is definitely headed in the right direction.

Would have liked a deeper cloud -
This is a PET based absorber that goes down to maybe 250hz , but there had to be some compromise on aesthetics!

MCH

Major Contributor
Very neat!
Did you consider basotect insted of PET? If yes, what made you decide for PET? Thanks!

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Very neat!
Did you consider basotect insted of PET? If yes, what made you decide for PET? Thanks!
it was really a question of size, simplicity of fixing, design and price.

- This is 1800x1200 so gives really good coverage over the ceiling where the first reflections hit.

- It’s really easy to instal , level and change the spacing to the ceiling. Drilling template provided and great instructions.

- the rounded corners and fleece finish help prevent it looking too industrial

- it was £180 + shipping from Germany.

This is the product ID on Thomann’s
Website . t.akustik PET Ceiling Absorber 180 WH

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What is the black hole in the 'ceiling cloud'? A mini subwoofer? ;)

Are the lights shining through it? What about bugs and spiders up top?

It looks like the suspended lighting fixture at out local sushi restaurant where every second downlight is dead.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
What is the black hole in the 'ceiling cloud'? A mini subwoofer? ;)

Are the lights shining through it? What about bugs and spiders up top?

It looks like the suspended lighting fixture at out local sushi restaurant where every second downlight is dead.
Re black hole - it’s actually a polished ebony disc that reduces distortion through massively improved Feng Shui (actually it’s just a badge!)

I’m sorry to hear your local sushi restaurant has maintenance issues - let’s hope their fridges work better than their lights - maybe time to find a new place to eat ?

Top Bottom