• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Im very confused with Amazon's 360 / Atmos

manny

Hello,

i was very happy discovering this forum and I like how people are very nice to each over here. Very knowledge too.
So I decided to throw in my problem:

I have a Samsung s21 and a kindle fire tablet. Both allow Dolby Atmos 360 and That's awesome.
On my main pc, i have a SoundBlaster Z with a Mass Drop Dac with XLR outputs going to a Drop THX 789 Xlr.

Running windows 11 on 32gb of ram, Aours ultra gaming MOBO and an AMD Ryzen 7 chip..

Why for the love of god, I cant get Dolby Atmos and 360 sound off the Amazon Music app?

Thanks

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

i was very happy discovering this forum and I like how people are very nice to each over here. Very knowledge too.

I have a Samsung s21 and a kindle fire tablet. Both allow Dolby Atmos 360 and That's awesome.
On my main pc, i have a SoundBlaster Z with a Mass Drop Dac with XLR outputs going to a Drop THX 789 Xlr.

Running windows 11 on 32gb of ram, Aours ultra gaming MOBO and an AMD Ryzen 7 chip..

Why for the love of god, I cant get Dolby Atmos and 360 sound off the Amazon Music app?

Thanks

I don't think Atmos decoding is supported on Windows at all, i think you need an AVR and a connection via HDMI.

pjn

I don't think Atmos decoding is supported on Windows at all, i think you need an AVR and a connection via HDMI.
Possibly necessary to jump through a few hoops first? Or perhaps Windows 11 is a an audio downgrade? But it does also seem to be hardware dependent.
on Win 11:

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
No Atmos on windows Amazon or Tidal app. It’s a conspiracy so that you have to buy nvidia shield or apple tv. I tried Amazon on windows and immediately canceled my subscription when I found out Atmos is not available for windows.

OP
M

manny

But, How does my phone and tablet support it? Im confused.

OP
M

manny

Possibly necessary to jump through a few hoops first? Or perhaps Windows 11 is a an audio downgrade? But it does also seem to be hardware dependent.
on Win 11:
I might have to take a look at my purchases. I think I had purchase it on my xbox and never worked.
Thanks

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But, How does my phone and tablet support it? Im confused.
Microsoft did not pay the licensing fees to provide Dolby Atmos support.. likely because most folks won't need it on a PC those that do can easily download the software and pay the small fee. Your phone and tablet support it because Apple or Google paid the fees to support it. Thats one of the reasons a phone costs as much as a PC even though a PC is much more powerful and flexible.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hello,

Thanks
Hi welcome to asr. You could try using an android emulator and using the android version of amazon unlimited on the pc.
My experience with amazon atmos (on stereo headphones and speakers) so far is it seems like a gimmick. Boosted sub bass , somewhat muddy mids and weird peaks in the upper mids and treble.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Microsoft did not pay the licensing fees to provide Dolby Atmos support..
i don’t understand. There IS support for Atmos on windows. You can select Atmos under spatial audio when windows connects to an Atmos capable output device.
So what more license is there to pay?
If there is general support for Atmos on windows why would Microsoft pay for license for every app?

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I bought Apple tv just for the ability to play Atmos tracks on Tidal and I am pleased how those tracks are mixed. It’s better then regular upmix.
I am sorry that I can’t use Apple TV more because there is no audio bitstream.
You can’t win today and have one device that plays all formats.
It’s a conspiracy, I tell you

EB1000

No such thing as Dolby Atmos 360. It's either Dolby Atmos or 360 reality audio which is a useless 2 channel format intended for binaural headphone listening and does not work well on most headphones unless you buy a Sony 360 certified wireless headphones with Sony's app. The only way to get Atmos from Amazon music is to use Apple TV 4k hooked to an AVR via HDMI

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No Atmos on windows Amazon or Tidal app. It’s a conspiracy so that you have to buy nvidia shield or apple tv. I tried Amazon on windows and immediately canceled my subscription when I found out Atmos is not available for windows.

I think it's more likely that once something is no longer protected by HDMI AND is available on a mainstream relatively open platform (Windows) it will be cracked easily like an Egg.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I think it's more likely that once something is no longer protected by HDMI AND is available on a mainstream relatively open platform (Windows) it will be cracked easily like an Egg.
What do you mean exactly? What will be cracked?
Most people that use Amazon music on pc use it for stereo polayback. That’s not limited in any way.
Crackers usually crack something that is mainstream. Not something that is a niche like immersive audio.
I believe Amazon, Tidal and others went into Atmos because of marketing. And they offer gimmicky headphone stereo effect.
Atmos for proper surround sound is only pursued by very few people.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean exactly? What will be cracked?
Most people that use Amazon music on pc use it for stereo polayback. That’s not limited in any way.
Crackers usually crack something that is mainstream. Not something that is a niche like immersive audio.
I believe Amazon, Tidal and others went into Atmos because of marketing. And they offer gimmicky headphone stereo effect.
Atmos for proper surround sound is only pursued by very few people.
The proprietary format would be cracked.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Ok. Thanks.
I am just sorry that this third chance for surround sound (after quadraphonic and later SACD and DVD audio) is doomed.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i don’t understand. There IS support for Atmos on windows. You can select Atmos under spatial audio when windows connects to an Atmos capable output device.
So what more license is there to pay?
If there is general support for Atmos on windows why would Microsoft pay for license for every app?
I took the OP question to mean plugging headphones into the headphone jack on a laptop and requiring Windows to decode the Atmos tracks. Not passing it through to an outboard Atmos decoding device. I am thinking in your case the outboard device has done the decoding, like an AVR.

Top Bottom