• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm torn on what speakers to buy guys...

Beave

Major Contributor
Unfortunately I have a sensitivity to emf's, which makes finding a unit without bluetooth / wifi a pain in the ass. I wish they had the option to turn off the bluetooth... would make this process much easier.

How did you determine you have a sensitivity to emf?

Beave

Major Contributor
Vienna Acoustics Hayden grand. I don't know how they measure but I always liked their tonal balance. They look good too.

I briefly owned a pair of those. Very nice looking, but mediocre sound quality not nearly in line with their price. The bass through lower mids was quite good, but the upper mids to low treble was just a mess (very recessed in that region).

Holmz

Major Contributor
Looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for a nice & simple 2.1 setup, but I'm having a difficult time deciding and looking for advice. Don't know whether to start with something like the Triangle Bro2's or go with the Polk R200's (and anything in between).

I've narrowed it down (as of now) to
  1. Triangle Bro2
  2. Monoprice Encore B6
  3. Wharfedale Denton 80th
  4. Polk R200
It's for a medium sized living room space. I'll be sitting 12 ft away and mostly listening at low to medium volume. I have not picked out an amp yet.

Any suggestions / recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks

OK if you are only going streaming, then why not just go active?

If you want a TT or TV and streaming… AND want a passive speaker… then maybe look at a Lyngdorf 1120 for the amp.

OP
C

chang

OK if you are only going streaming, then why not just go active?

If you want a TT or TV and streaming… AND want a passive speaker… then maybe look at a Lyngdorf 1120 for the amp.
What are the benefits of active over passive?

eric tee

What are the benefits of active over passive?

After decades, using passive speakers. Found The World of Active. And would not change back. In my opinion, if done right. The precise tuning of the speaker is cheaper (and more effective in price-quality range) in active speakers. Also there are several good options from to choose nowdays. JBL, Adam. Just to name some, that would go with your budget. Good luck to find what You are looking for.

OP
C

chang

After decades, using passive speakers. Found The World of Active. And would not change back. In my opinion, if done right. The precise tuning of the speaker is cheaper (and more effective in price-quality range) in active speakers. Also there are several good options from to choose nowdays. JBL, Adam. Just to name some, that would go with your budget. Good luck to find what You are looking for.
Most of the affordable quality ones seem to be near field monitors and I'm looking for something in the living room. Any suggestions?

TimW

Major Contributor
Most of the affordable quality ones seem to be near field monitors and I'm looking for something in the living room. Any suggestions?
Check out the Klipsch The Fives. Good directivity and smooth frequency response although not totally neutral. Has app control that you can use to adjust the sound to taste. Has optical input and HDMI ARC which could be used with your TV. The subwoofer output can be used with your sub and miniDSP. Nice walnut finish available along with premium looking controls on top of the speaker which the wife may like. Looks like it was discontinued recently and is available for $550 on Amazon now (used to be $699).

OP
C

chang

Check out the Klipsch The Fives. Good directivity and smooth frequency response although not totally neutral. Has app control that you can use to adjust the sound to taste. Has optical input and HDMI ARC which could be used with your TV. The subwoofer output can be used with your sub and miniDSP. Nice walnut finish available along with premium looking controls on top of the speaker which the wife may like. Looks like it was discontinued recently and is available for $550 on Amazon now (used to be $699).
I actually really like those, however, it unfortunately has bluetooth.... otherwise those would've worked out nicely

Think there's too much compromise for nearfield to work as midfield speakers?

TimW

Major Contributor
I actually really like those, however, it unfortunately has bluetooth.... otherwise those would've worked out nicely

Think there's too much compromise for nearfield to work as midfield speakers?
Nearfield vs midfield shouldn't make a difference. The real differentiator is how loud a speaker can play. Powered speakers are often limited by how loud they can play due to the weak amplifiers built in and/or protective limiting. Do you listen to music extremely loud?

There aren't any all in one powered speakers I can recommend to you due to your fear of wireless. Pretty much every powered speaker you might accept is going to be a studio monitor like the Kali's you said you didn't like the looks of. How do these look to you?

index.php

13494501_800.jpg

13618411_800.jpg

Dynaudio-lyd-5.jpg

G3AWM004.jpg

OP
C

chang

Nearfield vs midfield shouldn't make a difference. The real differentiator is how loud a speaker can play. Powered speakers are often limited by how loud they can play due to the weak amplifiers built in and/or protective limiting. Do you listen to music extremely loud?

There aren't any all in one powered speakers I can recommend to you due to your fear of wireless. Pretty much every powered speaker you might accept is going to be a studio monitor like the Kali's you said you didn't like the looks of. How do these look to you?

index.php

13494501_800.jpg

13618411_800.jpg

Dynaudio-lyd-5.jpg

G3AWM004.jpg
Haha, you remembered that huh. I'm actually coming around on the Kali's. Keep hearing how great of a speaker they are. Most of my listening is low to moderate levels... though I do enjoy cranking it every now and then.

I have a set of Revel M16's on the way and I would like to AB them with a set of powered. Kali is recommending I go with the IN-8's for my distance (though I'll be out of reference range at my distance), but those seem like overkill. Wish I could place a speaker grill on them (not the best looking).

I was planning on using the A07 for the Revel's... if more power was needed, is there a way to run one A07 per speaker as mono's through the dsp? The only issue I can think of is matching the volume from left to right. I only ask since it's one of the least expensive ways to get more power (currently $120 for 2 A07's)

Last edited:

Transmaniacon

The Polk R200 would be fantastic, I thoroughly enjoy mine and they live up to the hype.

Top Bottom