• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm torn on what speakers to buy guys...

chang

Looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for a nice & simple 2.1 setup, but I'm having a difficult time deciding and looking for advice. Don't know whether to start with something like the Triangle Bro2's or go with the Polk R200's (and anything in between).

I've narrowed it down (as of now) to
  1. Triangle Bro2
  2. Monoprice Encore B6
  3. Wharfedale Denton 80th
  4. Polk R200
It's for a medium sized living room space. I'll be sitting 12 ft away and mostly listening at low to medium volume. I have not picked out an amp yet.

Any suggestions / recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In general, I would favor a 6.5" woofer over the 5" ones for a medium sized living space...the other consideration is can you place them well (near walls) for the models that have the bass port on the rear of the speaker...if not, go with models with a front port, or sealed...

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for a nice & simple 2.1 setup, but I'm having a difficult time deciding and looking for advice. Don't know whether to start with something like the Triangle Bro2's or go with the Polk R200's (and anything in between).

1. Triangle Bro2
  2. Monoprice Encore B6
  4. Polk R200
It's for a medium sized living room space. I'll be sitting 12 ft away and mostly listening at low to medium volume. I have not picked out an amp yet.

Thanks
Price range? How about Kef R3, or for active Genelec 8040/8050?

Erici

Forum Donor

1. Triangle Bro2
  2. Monoprice Encore B6
  4. Polk R200

Thanks
It's difficult to make a recommendation without budget numbers, so do you have a budget range in mind?
Also, here is a great list of speaker recommendations at different price levels that @sweetchaos compiled:

DMill

OP
C

chang

In general, I would favor a 6.5" woofer over the 5" ones for a medium sized living space...the other consideration is can you place them well (near walls) for the models that have the bass port on the rear of the speaker...if not, go with models with a front port, or sealed...
Yeah, it's so difficult choosing without hearing them. I like the fullness of the 6.5's but also need to place them fairly close to the and don't want to drown the room out. I do plan on a sub in the future, so maybe the 5 will do. I was just trying to figure out which of the speakers sounds best or is the better value.

OP
C

chang

It's difficult to make a recommendation without budget numbers, so do you have a budget range in mind?
Also, here is a great list of speaker recommendations at different price levels that @sweetchaos compiled:
Would like to stay under 600. I checked it before posting, but it doesn't have some of the speakers I'm considering, so was hoping someone had some experience with those listed. The best I can do is decide based off reviews and anecdotal stories

OP
C

chang

Maybe ELAC Dbr 62? Would be about $100 more than the 4 you list. Can you find objective measurements for them? I know the Triangle Bro3 was reviewed by Amir. I would probably take any reviews of a speaker without measured results with a grain of salt. The Polk was reviewed on this site here and looks pretty good. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/
Thanks for that, I ran across that a few days ago. Sweetchaos's recommendation sheet has the r200's over the 62, but with an asterisk... so difficult to compare. The Bro3 wasn't recommended, and that seems to be the case from a view reviewers, that's why I stuck with the Bro2's. The Polk seems to get great reviews, but I just recently saw the Denton's and it's put a pause on moving forward with the Polk's. Was hoping someone would have some first hand knowledge of the two since the Denton's haven't been tested here

OP
C

chang

Revel Concerta2 M16 will set you back $700 (on sale at the C place) and will likely make you very happy.
Those were definitely in consideration but just a little bit outside my price range

DMill

Thanks for that, I ran across that a few days ago. Sweetchaos's recommendation sheet has the r200's over the 62, but with an asterisk... so difficult to compare. The Bro3 wasn't recommended, and that seems to be the case from a view reviewers, that's why I stuck with the Bro2's. The Polk seems to get great reviews, but I just recently saw the Denton's and it's put a pause on moving forward with the Polk's. Was hoping someone would have some first hand knowledge of the two since the Denton's haven't been tested here
Here’s someone who measured them. I hate the graphs they use, but at least it’s something. Looks like it may have a little bass lift, but overall decent. I do like the retro look of them. I’d probably still go Polk though, but that’s just me.

eddantes

Those were definitely in consideration but just a little bit outside my price range
Might also consider Focal Chora 806. Polk Reserve R200 are probably going to satisfy as well... Though Focal are more sensitive so might have a small advantage

OP
C

chang

Here’s someone who measured them. I hate the graphs they use, but at least it’s something. Looks like it may have a little bass lift, but overall decent. I do like the retro look of them. I’d probably still go Polk though, but that’s just me.
Really appreciate that!

Just out of curiosity, do you like more neutral speakers or something more forward? Think that's what's got me holding off. Hard to know until I hear them in person.

Pouyoux

I"d advise you : 2*adam audio t5v + adam audio t10s + a nice DAC (topping or SMSL) which can do XLR (for t5v) AND RCA (for subwoofer) and you're good to go :) (amp is included in t5v).
this setup should be difficult to beat in term of audio quality, cost and price/performance ratio.

OP
C

chang

Might also consider Focal Chora 806. Polk Reserve R200 are probably going to satisfy as well... Though Focal are more sensitive so might have a small advantage
Had my eye on those, however with all things being even, I like the looks of the polk and denton. I'm sure I'm being too nit-picky at this point and wouldn't even be able to tell in a blind test.

OP
C

chang

I"d advise you : 2*adam audio t5v + adam audio t10s + a nice DAC (topping or SMSL) which can do XLR (for t5v) AND RCA (for subwoofer) and you're good to go :) (amp is included in t5v).
Good recommendation as I actually have those and really like them, but the wifey hates the looks, so I'm trying to find something a little more appealing (and that matches our furniture haha). The Encore's being her least favorite of the bunch

caught gesture

Forum Donor

1. Triangle Bro2
  2. Monoprice Encore B6
  4. Polk R200

Thanks
Always worth taking your budget and having a look what is available on the used market. Particularly the case when your budget is, let’s say, on the lower side.
I started with new speakers, but budget models. I ended up buying better on the used market when the inevitable upgrade beckoned. I’m still with them fifteen years later with never a problem.

DMill

Really appreciate that!

Just out of curiosity, do you like more neutral speakers or something more forward? Think that's what's got me holding off. Hard to know until I hear them in person.
I like neutral. But should you have any way to hear them side by side, great. I personally find listening in two different places to have very little value. Different rooms, electronics, etc. Too many variables for me to gather a meaningful impression. I suppose you might just hate one for some reason, but I don’t think that will be the case looking at reviews. I’m sure I’ve heard the Polks at some point and think they are great value. I’ve also heard a few Wharfedales recently (Linton and Denton 85). I liked both, but they didn’t have the 80s.

Top Bottom