• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm torn on what speakers to buy guys...

OP
C

chang

Always worth taking your budget and having a look what is available on the used market. Particularly the case when your budget is, let’s say, on the lower side.
I started with new speakers, but budget models. I ended up buying better on the used market when the inevitable upgrade beckoned. I’m still with them fifteen years later with never a problem.
Not opposed to used, however, there are a few reasons that cause hesitation (warranty, history of speaker, selection, house it's been in, etc.)

OP
C

chang

I like neutral. But should you have any way to hear them side by side, great. I personally find listening in two different places to have very little value. Different rooms, electronics, etc. Too many variables for me to gather a meaningful impression. I suppose you might just hate one for some reason, but I don’t think that will be the case looking at reviews. I’m sure I’ve heard the Polks at some point and think they are great value. I’ve also heard a few Wharfedales recently (Linton and Denton 85). I liked both, but they didn’t have the 80s.
This is true... hard to know until they're here. I enjoy more of a neutral as well, so hopefully can't go wrong either way. Thanks again for the feedback

You don't by chance have an integrative amp suggestion under 500 for either of those speakers by chance?

Alexium

I think the Denton and Polk outclass those, right?
Polk seems to be OK, don't know about outclassing since neither Amir nor Erin reviewed them, there's only this: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...nd-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/
Never heard about Denton so can't comment on those. The ones I quoted are the ones I know are very good, but that, of course, doesn't mean they're the best in the budget. I don't happen to recall any good speakers closer to $600. I do know Emotiva B2+ is significantly worse than B1+, go figure.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You don't by chance have an integrative amp suggestion under 500 for either of those speakers by chance?
A new Yamaha AS501 is $550 new. I’m sure you could find a refurb or used for under $500. I won’t lie though, I’m a big a Yamaha fan. But id be curious to hear anything better that can deliver 85 watts at that price.

OP
C

chang

Polk seems to be OK, don't know about outclassing since neither Amir nor Erin reviewed them, there's only this: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...nd-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/
Never heard about Denton so can't comment on those. The ones I quoted are the ones I know are very good, but that, of course, doesn't mean they're the best in the budget. I don't happen to recall any good speakers closer to $600. I do know Emotiva B2+ is significantly worse than B1+, go figure.
Thanks for that. I think Polk tested better than the KEF's and B1. I was originally going to grab the Q150's but then started down the rabbit hole and ended here haha. That is a strange one with the B2's

OP
C

chang

A new Yamaha AS501 is $550 new. I’m sure you could find a refurb or used for under $500. I won’t lie though, I’m a big a Yamaha fan. But id be curious to hear anything better that can deliver 85 watts at that price.
They make solid units. I wish the yamaha's and denon's of the world weren't so damn bulky. Was intrigued by Emotiva and Iota. Could always build a stack as well, but I'd prefer one unit if possible.

Battlebeast

Thanks for that. I think Polk tested better than the KEF's and B1. I was originally going to grab the Q150's but then started down the rabbit hole and ended here haha. That is a strange one with the B2's
You can order a couple pair from "that C place" and keep the one you like best and send the other(s) back at $12 per pair.

I really like the Kef UniQ. The sound stage I get is amazing.

OP
C

chang

You can order a couple pair from "that C place" and keep the one you like best and send the other(s) back at $12 per pair.

I really like the Kef UniQ. The sound stage I get is amazing.
I just found out about that! I really thought the shipping would've been way more.

Kef is definitely on the list right now

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I"d advise you : 2*adam audio t5v + adam audio t10s + a nice DAC (topping or SMSL) which can do XLR (for t5v) AND RCA (for subwoofer) and you're good to go :) (amp is included in t5v).
this setup should be difficult to beat in term of audio quality, cost and price/performance ratio.
Would support that.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those were definitely in consideration but just a little bit outside my price range
If you like them a lot( and that's very possible) that c note will seem trivial... And crutchfield has a great return policy... But truthfully the r200s are probably very close and cost much less when on sale...

OP
C

chang

If you like them a lot( and that's very possible) that c note will seem trivial... And crutchfield has a great return policy... But truthfully the r200s are probably very close and cost much less when on sale...
No doubt. I've got some decisions to make

olbobcat

I would not even suggest a speaker to you. I believe speakers are a lot to do with personal preference. I want something that I can listen to for long periods, certain tweeters don't work out well for me. That is my opinion. It is good if you can hear them, or a home audition is even better. Otherwise an ironclad return policy. Also, if you can find a used set you can sometimes flip them without any loss.

OP
C

chang

I would not even suggest a speaker to you. I believe speakers are a lot to do with personal preference. I want something that I can listen to for long periods, certain tweeters don't work out well for me. That is my opinion. It is good if you can hear them, or a home audition is even better. Otherwise an ironclad return policy. Also, if you can find a used set you can sometimes flip them without any loss.
Completely agree. Didn't realize returns were so inexpensive. Plan on getting a few and going from there. Hated the idea of guessing

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies, looking to stay under 600, so those are definitely out haha

Kali has a speaker where you'll get the benefits of a three way coaxial like a KEF but at a much lower price with built in amps and some room correction.

Stretch to $700 or look for a used Kali IN-5 or IN-8 V2.

OP
C

chang

Kali has a speaker where you'll get the benefits of a three way coaxial like a KEF but at a much lower price with built in amps and some room correction.

Stretch to $700 or look for a used Kali IN-5 or IN-8 V2.
I would go for the Kali's but there's an aesthetic aspect I have to take in account, and it has to be wife approved :)

Top Bottom