• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm tired of audiophile and high fidelity confusion.

OP
D

diegooo1972

And for $9000 you get a headphone jack on the back instead of the front.

Mola_Mola_rear.jpg
Well you got a point there. But that is an ergonomic desing flaw. Not really something about measurements or emotional choice. Still objective of course.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how did he choose his washing machine? He probably checked for the cycles he wanted, looked for electricity consumption, checked for water usage, and whatever came top of the spreadsheet, he bought. No magic. No emotional confusion between the machine and the pleasure. Why don't people think of hi-fi the same way? A stereo is an appliance, after all, like anything else.

One difference I see is that listening to music is fun, while doing laundry is the absolute worst!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For example Mola Mola Tambaqui is audiophile but also have great measurements. There are obviously other equipments like that. But they are measurable. That's my point. The difference between measurable equipments and listening created equipments. As long as they are measurable they can be fine. When they can't be measured and rely on hearing only they are not an objective choice but an emotional choice. Two different path. That said I put Tambaqui in measurable equipments and not in the emotinal chosen equipments.

Nope, you've lost me again. Please define "measurable equipment". I think you mean equipment that has been engineered to deliver "good" measurements.

But then if audiophile is defined by it being engineered to suit someone's idea of good sounding (listening created), did mola mola accidentally engineer it so that it both listens and measures well?

OP
D

diegooo1972

Nope, you've lost me again. Please define "measurable equipment". I think you mean equipment that has been engineered to deliver "good" measurements.

But then if audiophile is defined by it being engineered to suit someone's idea of good sounding (listening created), did mola mola accidentally engineer it so that it both listens and measures well?
Of course not. But if the quality is measurable it resides in the objective side. The only thing that make it audiophile is the price I fear.

OP
D

diegooo1972

It depends ...

It says video unavailable to me. But that movie hold a great piece of song. One of my favourites. I'm a man of constant sorrow - Soggy Bottom Boys. So we can enjoy some music instead of talking only about theory.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But if the quality is measurable it resides in the objective side.

Are you ever going to tell us what measurements you believe are relevant to determining "quality" or "hi fidelity?"

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course not. But if the quality is measurable it resides in the objective side. The only thing that make it audiophile is the price I fear.
What do you mean by the "quality is measurable"? The quality of all DACs is measurable. Easily if you have the equipment. Many, many have been measured here. Some measure objectively very badly.

So back to matt's question. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-high-fidelity-confusion.16110/post-522301

I think we are getting close to the reason for your confusion.

OP
D

diegooo1972

What do you mean by the "quality is measurable"? The quality of all DACs is measurable. Easily if you have the equipment. Many, many have been measured here. Some measure objectively very badly.

So back to matt's question. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-high-fidelity-confusion.16110/post-522301

I think we are getting close to the reason for your confusion.
I have no confusion. You simply insist to complicate a simple fact playing with words. Pretty boring. But in case i'm looking for the best measure i can get with a certain budget. Or good measurement. But please don't play too much.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no confusion. You simply insist to complicate a simple fact playing with words. Pretty boring. But in case i'm looking for the best measure i can get with a certain budget. Or good measurement. But please don't play too much.

Yep, you just confirmed what I suspected.

What we have here is textbook communication breakdown. Enough said.

OP
D

diegooo1972

"
Yep, you just confirmed what I suspected.

What we have here is textbook communication breakdown. Enough said.
And why don't you elaborate then ? Very bad attitude man. You behave like you know a "secret" but you don't say anything interesting.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When one considers a pure subjectivist (hates measurements and ears only, believes everything has an influence) as '10' and full blown objectivist (measurements only, best measuring is the best... period) as '0'.
I pegged Diegooo1972 as a 0 on that scale. The prototype of what most people think ASR stands for.
He just asserts there is a clear line somewhere between 0 and 2.

I like to see audio as a grey (gray) area. ;)
had a bit of fun with this.
Maybe Diegooo1972 could tell us what score he had on the linked (meant as funny) 'test'.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And why don't you elaborate then ? Very bad attitude man. You behave like you know a secret but you don't say anything interesting.
I just did. There is an obvious issue in the last 8 pages. You think we are trying to twist your words. We just simply don't understand what you are saying.

OP
D

diegooo1972

When one considers a pure subjectivist (hates measurements and ears only, believes everything has an influence) as '0' and full blown objectivist (measurements only, best measuring is the best... period) as '10'.
I pegged Diegooo1972 as a 10 on that scale. The prototype of what most people think ASR stands for.
He just asserts there is a clear line somewhere between 9 and 10.

I like to see audio as a grey (gray) area. ;)
had a bit of fun with this.
Maybe Diegooo1972 could tell us what number he reached on the linked (meant as funny) 'test'.
If we talk about concept as "like" or "listen" we are in the subjective domain. Like it or not. It's perfectly fine as I said undred times now but is not an objective consideration. I don't share this scale concept. There are no better or worse behaviour. But you can't deny that there are objective subjective considerations. Play wherever you want but don't pretend to be on both sides. One exclude the other. To be more clear you can't stay on both sides for definition. It's simple logic.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You haven't told me your score on the 'test'... even if you don't share the scale concept.

Top Bottom