• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm newbie with DT 1990 and SBX AE-5. Need help about DAC/AMP

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently upgraded from Beyer DT 770 250 ohm to DT 1990 and i still have my AE-5. AE-5 is pretty good. Power is way more than needed. Can't go above 30+ windows volume. 100 probably can damage the headphone. Dac 32bit/384khz if it's makes sense. I'm curious something like JDS atom + Topping D10 or D30 can be significant upgrade or like a sidegrade ?

I don't have much budget but it seems like JDS Atom is really good. Topping D10 and D30 also highly praised. I also have my eye on pricey Monoprice THX 887 but it's currently expensive for me. I would like to hear opinions about AE-5, Atom, Topping and THX 887 for both DAC and AMP performance wise.

I also don't know how external dac/amp works with Windows 10. With AE5 i can simply install it to pcie slot and use the drivers. How external dac/amp works ? What am i gonna use software wise ? how am i gonna connect it ? Through USB or 3.5mm jack of motherboard ? Is it gonna bypass realtek dac/drivers ? Can i play with the resolution/bitrate in Windows 10 sound panel ? Which volume knob should i use ? Windows 10 ?

Thanks in advance

OP
odyo

odyo

I think your current Creative Labs AE-5 will do the job, for now.

I also think that way but i'm not really sure what am i missing. What Atom can offer when power is not an issue. What different dac can offer ? I don't have any noise problem with AE-5 except rarely (probably if it's getting hot inside) it makes noises while adjusting the volume which is not an issue since i don't constantly adjust the volume while i'm listening.

Incursio

The Atom with a good DAC will give you the peace of mind that you have an audibly transparent system.

Generally, this means no audible noise, distortion, or frequency response shifts, and an ample amount of amplifier headroom means your headphones will never clip no matter how loud you play.

In rough subjective terms, this translates to clean and precise sounding bass with good dynamics (if the recording has it, and because the amplifier isn't clipping), and a 'black background' with a more detailed presentation (because there is no noise or distortion).

No magic. Just science.

Whether you will hear an improvement or not, depends on the performance of your current system.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
The AE-5 will perform well enough if the power supply and mainboard within your PC is well isolated from EMF.

Without spending too much money, a Topping D30 + JDS Atom will be all you need to achieve a headphone system beyond what your ears can discern. Still a fair bit less than what you probably paid for brand new DT1990.

Vantavimeow

I have the D50S/Atom Combo, the D50S digs deeper than the D10 but it's really a case of if you can stomach the additional cost. The stunning build quality and my need for Bluetooth is what really sold it for me. I'd say get the E30/Atom combo for now. The E30 appears to be D50S internals without the fancy build/niche features.

Side note, the Dekoni Velour pads are an pad amazing upgrade.

After upgrading from a Soundblaster ZX years ago I'd never dream of having an integrated DAC/AMP again, it's like building a hospital in Chernobyl.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
100 probably can damage the headphone.

I can reassure you. The AE5 has a max output voltage that can reach 5.2V (0.1W in 250 Ohm) so you cannot blow your headphone unless it is reproducing a continuous squarewave at max output power which is 225mW (The DT1990 is rated for 200mW)

AE5 is fine. If it sounds good to you no need to upgrade.

OP
odyo

odyo

I have the D50S/Atom Combo, the D50S digs deeper than the D10 but it's really a case of if you can stomach the additional cost. The stunning build quality and my need for Bluetooth is what really sold it for me. I'd say get the E30/Atom combo for now. The E30 appears to be D50S internals without the fancy build/niche features.

Side note, the Dekoni Velour pads are an pad amazing upgrade.

After upgrading from a Soundblaster ZX years ago I'd never dream of having an integrated DAC/AMP again, it's like building a hospital in Chernobyl.

Thanks for the suggestions. I heard JDS gonna release Atom dac as well so i might buy atom dac/amp combo in the future however AE5 is really good. I've also used older Creative soundcards and these AE line up is really significant upgrade over them. I have very good psu but i also have electrically very noisy RTX 2080 with heavy overclock under water (which means also more coil whine due to less damping over transistors) yet i have literally 0 noise issue even at completely max volume which definitely can damage the ears.

Yes! Dekoni Elite Velours definitely amazing and literally upgrades the sound of the headphone let alone taming the aggressiveness. I was gonna return my DT 1990 and buy Amiron Home but these pads saved the headphone.

OP
odyo

odyo

I can reassure you. The AE5 has a max output voltage that can reach 5.2V (0.1W in 250 Ohm) so you cannot blow your headphone unless it is reproducing a continuous squarewave at max output power which is 225mW (The DT1990 is rated for 200mW)

AE5 is fine. If it sounds good to you no need to upgrade.

Thanks for the reply. I really like AE5 but i don't really know what am i missing. This AE5 is really significant upgrade over smartphone, laptop, motherboard or even older internal soundcard. I can easily see the HUGE difference with Fidelio X2 30 ohm, DT 770 250 ohm and DT 1990 250 ohm. I assume it's not just ohm thing because even X2 benefits a lot. I don't know if i'm gonna able to see big difference between AE5 and $100 tier dac/amps like Magni/Modi/Atom.

I see lots of criticism towards internal soundcards and people tell they are noisy inside the case etc... however i don't hear any noise. How can i test them ? I tried maxing out gain and volume, i've wear the headphone and heard no noise, tried unplugging the 3.5mm jack 0 difference between unplugged and plugged. And the max volume is definitely way way too loud which can kill ears if not the drivers :)

twsecrest

I also think that way but i'm not really sure what am i missing. What Atom can offer when power is not an issue. What different dac can offer ? I don't have any noise problem with AE-5 except rarely (probably if it's getting hot inside) it makes noises while adjusting the volume which is not an issue since i don't constantly adjust the volume while i'm listening.
The AE-5 comes with what seems a very decent DAC chip, I'm guessing you would want to spend at least $400 for a DAC/amp, for a worthwhile upgrade.

twsecrest

Thanks for the reply. I really like AE5 but i don't really know what am i missing. This AE5 is really significant upgrade over smartphone, laptop, motherboard or even older internal soundcard. I can easily see the HUGE difference with Fidelio X2 30 ohm, DT 770 250 ohm and DT 1990 250 ohm. I assume it's not just ohm thing because even X2 benefits a lot. I don't know if i'm gonna able to see big difference between AE5 and $100 tier dac/amps like Magni/Modi/Atom.

I see lots of criticism towards internal soundcards and people tell they are noisy inside the case etc... however i don't hear any noise. How can i test them ? I tried maxing out gain and volume, i've wear the headphone and heard no noise, tried unplugging the 3.5mm jack 0 difference between unplugged and plugged. And the max volume is definitely way way too loud which can kill ears if not the drivers :)
I'm guessing motherboard designers have been able to reduce electrical noise issues, with newer motherboards.

Top Bottom