• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm in trouble

Infinity

I'm just about to update my gear and since I find your site I don't dare to buy anything you haven't yet mesured. I can NO longer trust the makers, so now I'm stuck waiting for your approval. I know you are not able to do them all, I live in Sweden so it's not practical for me to send the stuff for you to test either. So for now, I don't know what to do, except waiting.
But, I must also thank you for the excellent reviews.
Thanks.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sympathise, but don't think it's as bad as you're thinking. With electronics, what the measurements are matter relatively little, as even those that aren't very good are probably still good enough to be transparent in use. As long as you keep away from 'boutique' manufacturers, that use valves or weird materials, any respectable manufacturer that quotes a technical specification is likely to be OK. Even if they don't meet their specification, it's still likely to be audibly OK.

Loudspeakers are somewhat different, and there I would want to see some measurements as well as an audition, as no loudspeaker is perfect and then it comes down to which set of imperfections are acceptable. Measurements will help in eliminating those that are poor, but after that, it's a personal choice. Having said that, if two loudspeakers measure well, even though they are different, and one might please more than the other, both will perform well enough, and one can get used to anything! With loudspeakers being so prominent, looks may matter more than the minutiae of sound if they have to fit in with domestic arrangements.

Good luck with the search.

S.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just about to update my gear and since I find your site I don't dare to buy anything you haven't yet mesured. I can NO longer trust the makers, so now I'm stuck waiting for your approval. I know you are not able to do them all, I live in Sweden so it's not practical for me to send the stuff for you to test either. So for now, I don't know what to do, except waiting.
Thanks.

What types or components are you looking for ? Why not look at stuff he has measured? As others have said, for electronics, the latest and greatest isnt going to bring much to the party, and you must be able to find some speakers reviewed well on here?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.
Let us know what you want to upgrade and for which reason, your room size and budget and I'm sure you'll get good advice.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning

raif71

Major Contributor
Does Sweden have any local audio shops where you can find gears? I bought my 1st desktop dac/amp combo - a fiio k5 pro just by trying it out at a local shop. Found it rather good by listening to it using my headphones. A few months later a review of the amp/dac came out. Though not so good but hey, I still have the fiio k5 pro in my collection and from time to time I do take it out for a spin. Also another gear that I bought without measurements by ASR is the zen can. This is also because when I demoed it at a shop, I found it to be powerful and the sound wasn't bad. So far no regrets :)

OP
I

Infinity

I got 2 systems for now, one home theater with Paradigm 5.1 C5 and sub 1 which I don´t use so much, instead I see myself in the office listening to music and watching movies, which I want to upgrade. I´ve decided for Focal Sopra no1 with equal surround speakers and 2 REM subs, I want both 2 and 7 channels of audio and therefore I´m looking for a good multichannel DAC/AVP and all AVP seems to be crap. I´ve found a good 8 ch DAC in these reviews as Okto DAC 8 Pro but not any AVP with Digital out to support the best audio formats. So I´m back looking for a AVP, but I don´t want to pay 10.000 of dollars for bad equipment even if I´m not able to hear the difference, doesn´t feel right. For that amount of money I want good stuff, I´ve paid to much in my days and want good gears as I can see in cheaper external DAC. I´m waitng for reviews for Trinnov which is on the way, but also Lyngdorf MP. The same goes for the power amp, I´m looking for a good digital with probably Hypex or Purifi or preferbly Gator audio, a Danish maker as the Lyngdorf. But still, I want good measurement this time.

OP
I

Infinity

My room is a little bit odd, it´s 4m wide and 2.5m deep. I´m prepared to treat it with some bass traps, diffuses and damping materials in conjunction with a good AVP EQ/RC for the best audio.

Last edited:
OP
I

Infinity

I'm sorry, both Hypex and Purifi is good enough, what Gator is using i don't know and that's why I would like to know.

Last edited:

Honken

Maybe measure the sound you are getting now before investing anything? While AVP/AVRs don't measure excellently I assume that their poor performance is mostly academic - I'm sure their functionality makes up for it as long as their performance isn't disasterous. For example, the excellent D&D 8C speaker uses (as far as I know) the same amplifier modules as the Jeff Rowland 535 amplifier, which measured poorly from a typical SINAD chasing ASR perspective. Yet, the D&D 8C speaker is one of the best out there.

If you consider Hypex/Purifi to be good enough, why not just buy that already? I'm quite sure that their offerings would be some of the least discernable pieces of your setup. FWIW, buying Hypex/Purifi from audiophonics.fr works great from Sweden.

If I were to start over with my gear, I'd definitely opt for something cheaper on the electronic side of things.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am in Sweden too and in the same situation, my room is almost 18m2, my preamp is almost dead and my amp is not good so I need a preamp/DAC and an AMP and I will not buy anything based on utube reviews or anything like that.

But here are HiFi shops where you can audition some gear, HiFi klubben has some good gear that you can listen too, for example.

OP
I

Infinity

Thanks, but I can't read Polish and the charts don't say anything to me.
It will be very hard to listen to the amp or the AVP in a store, you won't know what you are hearing, the speaker or the amp and so on.

Anyway, I wasn't hoping for any help or suggestion to find my gear, I know what to choose between, but will not pay for it before I know it's any good.
That whey have used good electronics and that it's put together in a good way.

I just wanted to tell Amir thanks for all good reviews and measurement and that he have learned me not to trust them blindly just by their name.
So, if I can't find a measured review and just a talking review I won't buy it anymore, that's all.

Thanks.

Top Bottom