• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm in audiophile heaven: STAX SR009-S with Headphone Amp SRM-007tII

EXIF68

Hello Folks,

this time i have the big honor to listen to this very special setup. And what should i say? Sound is absolutely amazing. From bass to treble more than perfect and reproduction of voices is incredible realisitc. You think you are sitting on the best place in the auditorium. There is absolutely no comparison to my also not bad AKG K701 on my Benchmark DAC2. It is like you compare a VW Golf to a Mercedes S-Class. Also from the price class. But i can say that you cannot get this level of quality of reproduction music by an ordinary speaker system. I have the sound of my DXT-MON-Speakers in my memory. But against this STAX-Combination you have to hide normal speakers behind the trees. This level of details, all over performance, stressless sound, the only word is amazing. I have never heard a violin, flute, guitar, bass-guitar sounding so good and emotional as with this system. But be careful, the source should be also at this level of performance.
So if some of you have the possibillity to test such a combination my recommendation is: Do it.

Greetings,

Walter

Leporello

But be careful, the source should be also at this level of performance.
This is not true. The Stax may be a good headphone (I own a pair a Lambdas) but they are still the weakest link in the system. In 2021 there are quite a few inexpensive dacs which are acoustically transparent. No need for high end.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is not true. The Stax may be good a good headphone (I own a pair a Lambdas) but they are still the weakest link in the system. In 2021 there are quite a few inexpensive dacs which are acoustically transparent. No need for high end.
Amplifier may be.

Jimmy

I've only listened to a demo SR-009 system once and it was quite a few years ago, I really liked them, but from my understanding (and auditive memory), as of today, if you like that sound profile, you can do almost as good (or better in other aspects, like soundstage), and for much less money with a HD-800/S system.

Moreover, it's the convenience factor, dynamic headphones are much lighter and can be used with a variety of sound sources without dedicated amping.

Out of curiosity I've just checked Stax website and the version that you mention seems to be a revised/improved version over the original, the SR-009S, not the one I demoe'd, so no idea how much would be the differences in practical terms, but a no compromise system can go well above 10000€, and you can do almost as good (or as I said even better in certain areas) for 1/5 of that amount.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like Stax but I am suspicious. Most reviews are listening tests only, the headphone and driver combo will easily cost you $10000 - as 'Jimmy' stated - and many of the drivers rely on valve technology; usually an expensive way to achieve mediocre performance.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
and many of the drivers rely on valve technology; usually an expensive way to achieve mediocre performance.
If memory serves, the best performing Stax amps are actually not the most expensive ones, but rather the mid-priced solid-state models (e.g. SRM-323S).

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If memory serves, the best performing Stax amps are actually not the most expensive ones, but rather the mid-priced solid-state models (e.g. SRM-323S).
Just discovered that the SRM-323S was replaced SRM-353X. The 353 has in turn, been replaced by the SRM-400S. ...Too many justs...

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Stax but I am suspicious. Most reviews are listening tests only, the headphone and driver combo will easily cost you $10000 - as 'Jimmy' stated - and many of the drivers rely on valve technology; usually an expensive way to achieve mediocre performance.

The Stax SR-009 and SR-007 really are as good as people say. The lower end offerings are not (compared to say an HD600). That being said, I sold my SR-009 rig in favor of a pair of Mrspeakers Ether Opens. They just made everything sound better.

Ata

Forum Donor

The entry level combo, same or similar to what is in my sig, easily delivers most of the benefits of electrostats at around USD 700, just add your source/DAC. I am not aware of anything that can touch it at that price, so would be a worthy entry point to anyone wishing for a high-end headphone setup. If bass is your thing, an easy and reversible blue-tac mod is recommended.

Unit1963

Yes, there certainly are better DAC‘s. I actually started with a SR-005 Gold (I don‘t know the amp anymore) over 15+ years ago, had both Signature I and II and a SRM-006t amp. Nevertheless, I am very happy with my SR-009/SRM-007 tII. I still think, that the combination offers an amazing, rich sound. The components are well made.
Over the years, I have focused on upgrading the source and have bought an AVM CD 5.2 and an expensive Kimber Kable XLR set.

D

Deleted member 4708

I have the SR-009 BLK and the Stax 727II - best headphones I ever listened to. My DAC is Motu 8A which I used for EQ. Love it!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Zoide

Yes, there certainly are better DAC‘s. I actually started with a SR-005 Gold (I don‘t know the amp anymore) over 15+ years ago, had both Signature I and II and a SRM-006t amp. Nevertheless, I am very happy with my SR-009/SRM-007 tII. I still think, that the combination offers an amazing, rich sound. The components are well made.
Over the years, I have focused on upgrading the source and have bought an AVM CD 5.2 and an expensive Kimber Kable XLR set.
Oh no, please don't spend on cables. Unless it's for cosmetics and ease of use. Sound-wise there's no difference.

Top Bottom