• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm going for a walk, recommend an album to listen to.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When my phone is charged I'm going to go for a walk.

Please recommend an album you think is really good, but which I have probably never heard.

Must be on Spotify.

If I listen to it, I will provide my unvarnished opinion about it.

Good vibes preferred. Open to any genre with the exception of noise/death metal/shrill pop music.

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mrbungle

Later Talk Talk stuff if it’s quiet where you are.

Holmz

Major Contributor
It is not a happy song, but apppropriate for a walk alone.

“When you’re running by yourself, it’s hard to find someone to hold your hand”

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I listened to. I finished it a minute ago.

It wasn't bad but I thought it was a bit long. She relies on modal harmony/ guitar drones which means that her songs lack predictable cadences and structure, which wouldn't be a problem, but her songwriting doesn't have much structure either, so the songs tend to just go on and on with verses tacked on and songs ending unexpectedly.

This does create some cool effects, like when she actually ends up changing things up on I think the third track, it's very uprising. The surprising and sudden use of bass synths later in the album is less impactful I thought.

Her singing style has some affects I find a bit annoying but they are so common with younger female singers I should probably get used to them (the persistent frog-in-the-throat sound for example) Normally I dislike these affects because it sounds like the singer is afraid to express themselves with melody and dynamics and embellishment but that isn't the case here; when she belts it out it's pretty great.

One thing which sort of amazed me was learning about 3/4 of the way through the singer was 23 when this was recorded - she sounds like a much more accomplished performer than most 23 year olds.

Lyrically, I think she falls into a very common trap, which may just be my taste, where the use of language is in this uncomfortable zone where it is neither very direct and literal (like some rap music) but also not particularly poetically abstract (like Bob Dylan). It's sort of in this middle zone where it is hard for me to relate to because it clearly addressing specific people and situations, but not abstract enough for me to find my own meaning in it. It's like listening to instagram text posts. The fact that the objects of the songs are all typical subject matters (love, birds, relationships, feelings that make you want to drink tea) doesn't help but that's 90% of poetry. I have a friend who's a poet and I told her she should try to find some subject matters outside of these few things, I would seriously rather hear someone write about toothpaste dispensers than losing a boyfriend to the circumstances of our 20s.

It might sound like I'm complaining but I think this artist could make a great album one day if they haven't already. The solidity of her voice and her fearless expression are unusual and with some better editting and some more focussed composition you could have some wonderful music.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm glad you enjoyed your walk. Best walk I ever had was a 4 hour-ish walk through a dry creek bed in the Flinders Ranges [Aus.] Maybe for next time: [purely instrumental] 'The court of leaves' by Erutan?

OP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad you enjoyed your walk. Best walk I ever had was a 4 hour-ish walk through a dry creek bed in the Flinders Ranges [Aus.] Maybe for next time: [purely instrumental] 'The court of leaves' by Erutan?
I try to take a walk every day, that can be tomorrow.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I don't use streaming services.

(1995) Woob – Woob²

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
When my phone is charged I'm going to go for a walk.

Please recommend an album you think is really good, but which I have probably never heard.

Must be on Spotify.

If I listen to it, I will provide my unvarnished opinion about it.

Good vibes preferred. Open to any genre with the exception of noise/death metal/shrill pop music.
China Crisis: Autumn in the Neighbourhood (for reflective ambling)
Matt Bianco: Matt Bianco (Latino inspired bouncing)
Fritz Brause: Shilly Shally (Jazz Funk for elevated pulse rates)

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I don't use streaming services.

(1995) Woob – Woob²

That was quite interesting. Problem is it takes forever for the ambient noises to finish and the music to start.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
That was quite interesting. Problem is it takes forever for the ambient noises to finish and the music to start.
The ambient noises are the music.

Top Bottom