• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm confused about which way to go ...

escape1975

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1077 (same as the RX-A1040 basically) and I really like the sound quality it gives me, but HDMI ports are dated on it.
I am using it with KEF Q500 fronts, Q100 backs, Q200c center, and Q400b subs, and the setup is only 5.2 with fronts bi-amped.

In any case I was looking at the RX-A1080 as a replacement as the RX-A4A seems to be still fairly expensive, however after reading the review here
about the RX-A1080 it makes me question if it's a good route to go ... would my RX-A1040 get a better review on here if it was tested? Who knows :)

There's one site that said the RX-A1080 doesn't sound as good as the Denon AVR-X3500H, but the review here also wasn't very kind about the unit ...

So I'm confused, should I not be reading too much into the readings and which receiver should I be going with :)

Naturally I like Yamaha since I've never had any issues with mine, and it sounds really good to me, I just don't want the newer models to sound worse?!

Thanks!

Holmz

Major Contributor
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1077 (same as the RX-A1040 basically) and I really like the sound quality it gives me, but HDMI ports are dated on it.
I am using it with KEF Q500 fronts, Q100 backs, Q200c center, and Q400b subs, and the setup is only 5.2 with fronts bi-amped.

In any case I was looking at the RX-A1080 as a replacement as the RX-A4A seems to be still fairly expensive, however after reading the review here
about the RX-A1080 it makes me question if it's a good route to go ... would my RX-A1040 get a better review on here if it was tested? Who knows :)

There's one site that said the RX-A1080 doesn't sound as good as the Denon AVR-X3500H, but the review here also wasn't very kind about the unit ...

So I'm confused, should I not be reading too much into the readings and which receiver should I be going with :)

Naturally I like Yamaha since I've never had any issues with mine, and it sounds really good to me, I just don't want the newer models to sound worse?!

Thanks!

What else besides the part I quoted is the problem?

OP
E

escape1975

Sound wise there's no issue, but recently I have upgraded my TV to a 4K model and the HDMI ports on the RX-A1040 are not HDCP 2.2 ...

So I could get an HDMI 4x2 or 6x2 matrix and run things that way, or I could replace the receiver,
I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is, and what receiver or matrix switch would give me the best results :)

I'm wondering how good this product is, it looks fairly professional:

Last edited:

witwald

Forum Donor
Sound wise there's no issue, but recently I have upgraded my TV to a 4K model and the HDMI ports on the RX-A1040 are not HDCP 2.2 ...
The HDMI ports on your AV receiver appear to be 4K 50/60p compatible. Are you having an issue with the picture quality on your 4K TV when using the receiver?

OP
E

escape1975

The HDMI ports on your AV receiver appear to be 4K 50/60p compatible. Are you having an issue with the picture quality on your 4K TV when using the receiver?

Yes it will not display 4K protected content as the receiver was not HDCP 2.2 compatible and then it drops to 1080p.

Of course it's only an issue when I want to watch legal content, because *illegal* 4K content works fine :)
It's funny how these protection systems work against consumers, HDCP is a complete failure and it is being bypassed.

On top of that 4K Mode 1 has issues when switching inputs between devices that display 10bit+ color modes,
and when I switch to Mode 2 everything works fine. In Mode 1, sometimes I get black screen when switching inputs,
and to fix I have to power toggle the power on the receiver, it's actually really weird.

OP
E

escape1975

In the end I was able to find a used RX-V2085 which I guess would be a step-up from my current unit.
Seems the prices have gone up, especially in Canada, so I thought $550 USD was a great deal :)

I hope it works great :)

beagleman

Major Contributor

Thanks!

This site from what I remember only did measurements, and made no mention of actually using the unit to listen to music or movies at all.

The other site you mention, have not read their description, but honestly from MOST of what I have read, MOST owners of the Yamaha Aventage series, including myself, find the sound quality quite good, for sure.

I think the main weakness of almost any "reasonably priced" AVR, is there is some higher noise levels generated, that are only intrusive if you are playing it with the volume nearing zero decibels on the readout, WITH program material that is VERY VERY low in level. Think classical with a near silent passage where you CAN literally turn it up all the way........

With that being said, in "Normal" usage at any volume below near max, with Normal level music, this will never be an issue.

OP
E

escape1975

My new "used" RX-V2085 receiver seems to be working pretty good.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the subwoofer settings,- I can set it to mono x2 or left+right, or front+back,
and because I have one in the front and one in the back I tried the front+back setting, however it seems to almost
make the back subwoofer use a lower volume, so I've changed it to mono x2.

Even with that setting I can still control volume and distance for both, which is nice.

witwald

Forum Donor
... because I have one [subwoofer] in the front and one in the back I tried the front+back setting, however it seems to almost
make the back subwoofer use a lower volume, so I've changed it to mono x2.
I don't know what the distances of the front subwoofer and back subwoofer are to the listening position. If the back subwoofer is closer to the listening position then maybe that was the reason it was set to use a lower volume? Would the aim would be to get the subwoofer outputs the same at the listening position? Maybe not, if the AV receiver's room correction software was attempting to smooth out the effects of low-frequency room modes at frequencies in the passband of the two subwoofers?

OP
E

escape1975

Yeah I’m not sure, the only thing that came to mind was sound delay so they are in sync.
Once I have the calibration microphone I’ll run some tests and see how they will get configured.

Top Bottom