• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iLoud Micro Monitors measurements and quasi-anechoic spinorama

Ozymand1as

I went with JBL Studio 530 since I already had a pair and they're on sale again for $240. JBL doesn't even charge tax in my neck of the woods.

For an amp I also went cheap with the Aiyama A07. Noise is acceptable - I can hear it right in front of the tweeter but not a meter away. I was going to get a Topping PA5 if this didn't work.

For DACs I tried my Topping D30 and my Apple USB-C dongle and there's no real difference. Therefore, I will put the Topping back downstairs and just use the dongle most likely. I think with a better amp the dongle would be the limiting factor though.

crappypanther

If you don't want to hear the port noise from these toys - plug the port with something like foam.

crappypanther

I recently bought an MM, and am a little discouraged that almost everyone admires them.
Compared the sound with other speakers and studio monitors that I have.
The bass and lower mids lack transients, the upper mids and highs are somehow muddy.
The only thing MM is good at is blowing at 50Hz.
But, if it is used on a desk in super-near field, then sound becomes tolerable.

gorman

If you don't want to hear the port noise from these toys - plug the port with something like foam.
What's the effect on frequency response?
I know I can measure and I would do so in case I decided to go this way, just curious in case you measured already.
That's more or less their intended use, after all.

OP
N

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently bought an MM, and am a little discouraged that almost everyone admires them.
Compared the sound with other speakers and studio monitors that I have.
The bass and lower mids lack transients, the upper mids and highs are somehow muddy.
The only thing MM is good at is blowing at 50Hz.

Keep in mind they are designed to be used at 0.5m, and that is the distance iLoud specifies in its specs. It's only really fair to compare them with speakers meant for similar applications.

The port noise seems to be an issue that varies by user so it could point to a QC problem.

In my case t recently upgraded to the MTM and realized that for super near field the bigger speakers barely made a difference using at 2 feet asay, especially when I'd hooked up my sub. The MTM are nicer but not by much. Similar with the Neumann KH80.

I've also mentioned before that's possible there are different versions of these as, for example, the measurements at No Audiophile are very different and describe a substantially different speaker(the switches on the back are different too).

But ultimately it's still a small speaker. Would be nice to know what speakers you compared to.

crappypanther

Keep in mind they are designed to be used at 0.5m, and that is the distance iLoud specifies in its specs.
I know this, and I can't say that even so I like them. Just tolerable.
Compared to: kef Q350 (6.5'), Fluid FX8 (8'), and little cheap 1-way multimedia speaker F&D v520, which i made flat with EQ (maybe 2 inches).
When I first turned MM on, i was not impressed. And when I compared MM with others, the difference became unbearably obvious.
I didn't expect the highs and upper mids to be the worst on a 3" speaker. Its muddy. Not completely terrible, but I expected more.
Yes, and creating a port as thick as a finger, this is still a "brilliant" idea. Had to plug it. A passive radiator would be much better. The small F&D v520 has it,.. and there is no port noise!
Maybe I would like them if I didn't know what a normal hi-fi sound is. But I know! I also owned ATC, Eve Audio, Wharfedale, PSB speakers :)
_______
But I found a use - it is a great bluetooth speakers for my TV set. No subwoofer needed. xD

Last edited:

b**tlover

Met a strange problem during REW measurements of iLoud Micro. Right speaker did a click on high frequencies and shows the graph like this. Left channel is OK as you may see in previous measurement. Hardware problem?

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2023-08-27 в 19.27.28.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-08-27 в 19.27.28.png
    440.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Top Bottom