• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iLoud micro - in room basic measurements

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bought these on @napilopez recommendation and so far I am quite pleased with them.

Now I am no professional reviewer, so please excuse my measurement in room for incorrect scale etc. But what seems impressive to me is that the distortion seems well controlled and below the fundamental in the entire range the speaker can produce. And it hits about 50Hz in my room even though they are more than foot away from the closest wall.

Of course, they suffer from some room modes, and I found the average response to have a dip between 2k-3k and a slight rise in 1k-2k range. But after using equalizer APO to hit a house curve as shared by Julian Krause on youtube, they sound pretty good, especially for tiny speakers (which was important for my small desk).

I had initially bought the Edifier R1700BT which generally sounded good, had a good remote and was better looking, but unfortunately suffered from some kind of buzz when playing sounds around 50-100Hz from the left speaker, which was very irritating on jazz tracks.

I would send them to @amirm for review, but I cannot be without my computer speakers for the potential amount of time they may be away.

edit: the only thing i wish they had was the volume control on the front rather than the back.

Attachments

• iloud.png
    iloud.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 343
  • iloud average.png
    iloud average.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing! Glad you're enjoying them. Interesting how your units seem to have a bump at 1kHz rather than the dip that my units had. Seems like the port might be behaving a bit differently on yours. Perhaps the phase alignment is different somehow or the crossovers are slightly modified, for whatever reason.

Still, other than that, my predicted in-room response is in good agreement with your actual in-room response:

Me vs Kachda iLoud MM.png

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing! Glad you're enjoying them. Interesting how your units seem to have a bump at 1kHz rather than the dip that my units had. Seems like the port might be behaving a bit differently on yours. Perhaps the phase alignment is different somehow or the crossovers are slightly modified, for whatever reason.

Still, other than that, my predicted in-room response is in good agreement with your actual in-room response:

View attachment 97951
Wow, that’s really close!

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor

View attachment 97951
My measurement is the sum of two speakers at my listening position. Could the difference around 1.2khz be due to that?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My measurement is the sum of two speakers at my listening position. Could the difference around 1.2khz be due to that?

Unlikely, I think. What was your process for doing the measurement? Did you just add two individual measurements or did you perform a spatial average for each?

I think it's more likely the speakers just measure a bit different. No audiophile's version measured quite differently form either of ours so it's possible iLoud is just tweaking the speakers here and there or that the tolerances aren't super tight. His has a bump at 2kHz where we both have a dip! Curiously, his port measurements show the same pattern though, but the back of his speaker has different controls than mine so it's possible iLoud tweaked something along the way.

Either way, I think it's a very solid little speaker within its price and size constraints.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Unlikely, I think. What was your process for doing the measurement? Did you just add two individual measurements or did you perform a spatial average for each?

I think it's more likely the speakers just measure a bit different. No audiophile's version measured quite differently form either of ours so it's possible iLoud is just tweaking the speakers here and there or that the tolerances aren't super tight. His has a bump at 2kHz where we both have a dip! Curiously, his port measurements show the same pattern though, but the back of his speaker has different controls than mine so it's possible iLoud tweaked something along the way.

Either way, I think it's a very solid little speaker within its price and size constraints.
I performed the measurement for both speakers simultaneously, and averaged the response at my listening position and 4 positions around it (left,right,top,bottom). No gating was performed, so room reflections (i have plenty of bare concrete walls) definitely also play a part.

Top Bottom