• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ikea SYMFONISK Picture Frame Speaker Review

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wanted this Ikea loudspeaker to sound good, but it did not. It would have been a nice tv-loudspeaker. In my view, the Ikea Eneby 20 ( which I own ) and Eneby 30 sounds a lot better.

However, I dont want to be critical against those who like the sound , sound quality is ofcourse a very personal thing.
And this speaker don´t cost much.
My comparison and reference are my Genelecs with digital input.

I agree that the Eneby speaker is excellent. Regarding the IKEA/Sonos, I have only heard the Symfonisk book-shelf speaker and while it can produce som decent sound, it cannot compare with the Eneby30.

Overall SQ is however a different question than the technical aspects of conventional speakers vs. flat on-wall speaker with large baffles.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Just ran over to Ikea today to hear it again...........

For what it is, it is quite hard to fault. I mean no perfection or super detailed sound, but for such basic small drivers in a plastic box, it just sounds quite good.

Hard to compare to a bookshelf honestly, but it just "Impressed" me again, in a way that is hard to explain.

Fairly decent bass, no ice pick treble, and just relatively decent smooth enough sound.

beagleman

Major Contributor
There is no "maybe" here. I did like the sound. And when I do, I report it, any conflict with measurements be damned. As I have said repeatedly, I can't lie in my reviews. You are welcome to just put priority on the measurements. I can't solve all of these complex problems. I wish the measurements were 100% instructive and then I would not even need to listen. But we are not there.

Maybe you are like me, it just sounds "Good to me" in that way that makes it pleasing and no major mistakes in the sound.

buzwork

IKEA is about the worst place to go if you know exactly what you want(at least the ones near me are). The whole store seems designed to make you shop for an hour. It's an experience.

I always go in through the exit and through the big racks of boxed items. It's always way faster and I can skip the stinky scented candle section.

marcello252

IKEA is about the worst place to go if you know exactly what you want(at least the ones near me are). The whole store seems designed to make you shop for an hour. It's an experience.

OT: I don't know if it's the same in other countries but in IKEA stores here in Italy there are a lot of shortcuts to jump from one place to another, with clear signs

maxxevv

Major Contributor
OT: I don't know if it's the same in other countries but in IKEA stores here in Italy there are a lot of shortcuts to jump from one place to another, with clear signs
Its the same in my part of the world.
I have tried the one at Emeryville, California too, its the same.

There are shortcuts to jump between different areas if you look out for them.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone tried and compare these flat IKEA SYMFONISK speakers with the IKEA Eneby 30 ?

Marakk

Does this review also bode well for Sonos soundbars?

Looking at the measurements there are similarities in the measurements, including the slope and then the dip at 6-9 kHz and then the rise after that.

Last edited:

juliusskinner

Not going to steal pictures made by other sites, but there's pictures of the driver and bass reflex position out there.
The front grill can be pulled from the unit without damage by the way. IKEA is bringing out several designs you can buy to replace your current grill.
In portrait: the tweeter is dead centre, the woofer just above it, the exit of the bass reflex port on the right-top with a rounded rectangular pipe going down.
Thanks for the information...it was really helpful...I am going to buy some grill from Ikea....

Marakk

No. It is a completely different animal.
Bummer! Coz I bought Sonos Arc with IKEA Symfonisk bookshelf rears. lol.

Well, the quest holy grail of sound along with convenience and overhead bells will continue. Maybe if someday Sonos can launch something like their Amp but with support for a center channel and Atmos, even if virtualized, that would be great. I was divided between picking up the Amp and get JBL Stage 130s with Symfonisk rears, but then no center channel and Atmos made it less suitable for consuming content. How bad can it be though, right? The similarities in the response throughout Sonos' lineup convinced me that they would've tried their best to make their premium soundbar sound at least decent.

Looking at the response for center channel there are definite similarities (Sharing Sonos Arc entire setup as the other one has Trueplay elevating treble further as it can at times), even if the Rtings' measurements aren't as accurate and revealing as yours. For example, slight boost, response above target line, from 400 hz to about 600Hz, check. Dip between 700-800 Hz and then somewhere after 900 Hz, present in both. Slight boost in response from 1.3 KHz to about 6 Khz, check. Dip from 6-9 KHz, check. Slope having elevated treble and not dipping down overall after 1 Khz, check. That's something that's actually happening in Playbar and Beam too. To me it's clear, Sonos have an in-house sound they try to which they try to tune each product.

gags11

Forum Donor
If you have an Apple TV you can airplay these to them in stereo

Correct me if I’m wrong, but AirPlay from Apple TV comes up as temporary streaming, so you need to go and set these as your output device each time.

On the brighter note, these can be stereo paired. I just bought one. If it sounds any decent, will consider adding a stereo pair.

The question is where do I or anyone else put these? For example, I have 3 rooms with speakers: 2.1 set up with KEF R11s & Rythmik sub, family room TV with a 5.1 set up, and a dedicated HT with a 7.1.2 set up. Forgot the outdoor Revel & Monitor audio speakers.

I think these will make awesome office speakers for music. I’m thinking home office for sure. If I like it, my work office will get one too. I pray I like them though, as I have learned the habit of liking speakers with high Harman preference scores.

Boaz_000

It’s just one data point, but the first Symfonisk speaker, released in 2019, is still around.
Hey,
I hope you are doing well. I just want to let you know that you can return the IKEA product purchased within 365 days if you are not satisfied. They will give you a full refund if you return the product unused with the original receipt. For more information About IKEA Return Policy, you can visit the given site.
Thank You !

DanielT

Major Contributor
Smart to use the wall as a baffle.

That one actually looks really interesting. Ikea, who could believe it. Although when it comes to Hifi, anything can happen, it seems. Speakers that are expensive, like? .. Wait, how does this Ikea speaker stand against this high-profile Hifi manufacturer's model of speakers?

Then this one, from Kef, who normally makes good speakers:

Edit:
Hm, they have audio / Hifi products. Have not thought about. This is a bit of an eye opener for me.:)
How their other products are, preformance, I do not know. Now it will be more fun to buy lampshades and other knick-knacks at Ikea. A little fun to watch when you are still crowded with everyone else in the department store.:D

Last edited:

cbracer

Forum Donor
Hey,
I hope you are doing well. I just want to let you know that you can return the IKEA product purchased within 365 days if you are not satisfied. They will give you a full refund if you return the product unused with the original receipt. For more information About IKEA Return Policy, you can visit the given site.
Thank You !
The return policy states un-opened items are eligible for 365 days. Once you open an item, the return policy is left up to the individual at the store you speak with and it's their decision :( I've been there plenty of times and seen opened items go both ways.... some accept return others don't. I've also been there when a large couple brought in a mattress 10 months after purchase saying it was no longer supportive, and ikea would not return or exchange it since it was not a manufacturer's defect..... go figure.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Tips, regarding IKEA:

svinyard

Hey is there a cheap way (less than 50-100$) to get a turntable connected to these Sonos speakers? It seems like they force you to buy an F'ing 450$ port lol.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hey is there a cheap way (less than 50-100$) to get a turntable connected to these Sonos speakers? It seems like they force you to buy an F'ing 450$ port lol.
There's an explanation here for using a Pi to turn analog into a streaming source the Sonos app can connect to.
https://www.instructables.com/Add-Aux-to-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/
The Fun Generation UA-202 is a cheap interface with a MM input. A Pi Zero W should be able to handle the streaming and keep it all below budget. Spend more on nicer hardware as you wish - the concept scales to better interfaces. With some effort the software side could be turned into more of an appliance like piCorePlayer - assuming someone hasn't made a similar option for it already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom