• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ikea SYMFONISK Picture Frame Speaker Review

mrmoizy

This is why other speakers with DSP, such as some of the "pro monitors" that have rolled through here, are so frustrating. Here is a piece of wall art that provides cleaner sounder than some of them that cost 10x or more than this. Bravo to Sonos and Ikea. I love the wonders of good engineering resources and the economies of scale that come from mass production!!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2 can be paired with for stereo use.

Their website claims home theater surrounds as a use case, I’m assuming using SONOS only.

Website also states it supports Spotify Connect.

This speaker can also be used on a picture frame style stand, so not just wall mounted.

For $20+ they have some artwork panels instead of this black or white abstract panel that comes with it.
4fa40db818.jpg

IKEA also states custom photo/art panels could be a possibility depending on market demand (would love to see this).

Not sure what this means:
You can connect your SYMFONISK picture frame with WiFi speaker in a series with FLOALT LED light panel and create a pleasant atmosphere of light and sound together.

Last edited:

elliott

Nice surprise indeed! @amirm when you say Airplay, do you mean v1 or v2? (The only difference I know/care about is the ability to play across multiple rooms in sync).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazing product! Very nice for what it is.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does the app have any functionality to include a subwoofer to round out the low frequencies ?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is honestly excellent. Very manageable for small spaces.

I always hoped IKEA would make a really good speaker and I'm delighted and surprised to see how they did it.

The price point is about right too.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two hooked up to my second system (SME 30/2 with Dynavector Karat, expressive technologies su-1 transformer, Kondo GE1 phono, Placette preamp.) Sound is very good.

ralph

This is amazing, thanks for the review @amirm ! Given that I'm really happy with another speaker (JBL 305) reviewed here I'm thinking of getting this one as well.
Does anyone know whether this will work as a clock radio, playing something from spotify or a NAS?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a good surprise which will make at least half of each household happy.

Because of WAF, we will surely sooner or later end with such a design sometime, somewhere in one of the other room.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very interesting result. Impressed with the amount of speaker engineering along with DSP. Now this begs the fundamental hypothesis of how much the distortion matters in the chain @amirm. I can safely bet that the SINAD, if measured won't be over -90dB for the streamer/DAC/amp portion. Still the overall sound got the top marks. Anyone thinking along the same lines?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Creeping subjectivity. A slippery slope.
I appreciate the snark/humor, but a lot of visitors to ASR seem to not grasp the difference between "liking" or disliking" something about their audio system - be it real or human brain anomaly induced - and claiming to hear differences that do not actually exist. Many seem oblivious to the value of measurements to help identify and qualify sonic differences that actually are audible. Seeking correlation between measured and perceived differences is a fascinating subject to me.

Stating that you like something - for any reason - is fine, but claiming to hear differences that do not actually - or very likely do not - exist will invite challenges.

Last edited:
Top Bottom