• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IKEA OBEGRÄNSAD/UNLIMITED record player

NHL99

Look out, here's IKEA's next record player, the previous was from 1973.
ikea_obegransad_record_player_pe872124-e058443e-figure-image-desktop

DanielT

Major Contributor
IKEA capitalized and intends to pull in money on the trend, the growing popularity of playing vinyl. Would you look at that.:)

Aha! Wondering if it is possible to connect it, without various adapters, with for example these:

Edit:
I suspect that it can happen because IKEA mentions:

Now, IKEA hosts a range of speakers - like VAPPEBY or the SYMFONISK products with Sonos that quite elegantly blend into home furnishing - but hasn’t made a record player since. Until now, in collaboration with Swedish House Mafia.

“There's nothing simple about designing something that looks very simple. It's actually even more complicated to develop ”, says Friso. “The engine of it all, having a pre-amplifier built in, getting enough juice from just a simple USB cable to run everything. There are so many things happening inside the product without you noticing as a customer. Carmen and the technical team really did some major work in making it all happen. ”

But we'll see. :)

Seriously it's ugly ... I think so anyway.

Here are aesthetically much more appealing turntables::)

The only thing I can think of would be an advantage with that IKEA turntable are opportunities to be able to connect to IKEA's other speakers. How it will be now remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Looks like it would be quite easy for something to bump the platter when playing. Just seems like a poor design, overall. And why put the RCAs on the side rather than back? So many better options in the $250 - 500 range.

MCH

Major Contributor
I am very curious about the "adapter"

"can be connected to standard wired speakers - or more advanced sound systems with an adapter"

If it takes an analog signal and sends it over wifi, and it does it well, and they sell it at the price one expects for "an ikea adapter", it could be a cool thing.
Too many "if"s I am afraid.... :D

Capitol C

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Just became aware of a teardown (video) of the new(ish) IKEA tt (FWIW).

1667134349052.png

OP
NHL99

NHL99

Blind testing would also be of interest

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
its basically a piece of shit

ephemeral type product thats cashing in on a 'trend'

Ikea has no problem with lifestyle bluetooth speakers but it seems like Ikea is not a place for traditionalists.

Top Bottom