• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IKEA Eneby Flat Pack Bluetooth Speaker

D

Deleted member 65

Swedish AES Ljudtekniska Sällskapet tested IKEA's Eneby speaker with fairly good result. Verdict is that you get lots of (party) speaker for very little money, 895 SEK/Each (~100 USD).

Specification:
Weight 3.8 Kg
Audio In 3.5 mm minijack
Bass/Midwoofer: 2 * 4.5"
Tweeter: 1" Soft Dome
Amplifiers: TI TAS5731M 2*15W + TI TAS5711 1*12W
Frequency: 48 Hz - 20kHz
Bluetooth version: V 4.2
A/D: TI PCM1808
JRC NJM2115 opamps
STM32 Arm Cortex microcontroller

Mixed mono with possibilty to have stereo from the pair, note only via special cable not BT.

1540661272482.png

OP
D

Deleted member 65

That sure is an unusual configuration.

Yes, agree. The bass reflex port is a bit unusally shaped inside the cabinet. There's inside pictures in latest issue of LTS paper.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I was going to have a rant about this being a step too far, but I have to admit, I quite like the look of them.

Would be fine for the designer set who want a powered speaker to listen to hipster tunes at their breakfast bar, while eating their kale salad and enjoying a single origin Guatemalan coffee.

They look neat and (I hate to say it) 'on trend'. :)

OP
D

Deleted member 65

I was going to have a rant about this being a step too far, but I have to admit, I quite like the look of them.

Would be fine for the designer set who want a powered speaker to listen to hipster tunes at their breakfast bar, while eating their kale salad and enjoying a single origin Guatemalan coffee.

They look neat and (I hate to say it) 'on trend'. :)

Designed by Teenage Engineering https://www.teenageengineering.com/

Imagine you have a small DIY project building active speakers, for pocket money you'll get good quality (according to Swedish AES) components. I'll get one for my lounge in the garden.

https://www.cepro.com/article/ikea_preps_eneby_wireless_bluetooth_speakers_fcc_filing_shows

1540722214943.png

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The new face of audio, most of the market seems to have voted with their feet and decided that they prefer lifestyle powered speakers. And if they are happy with the SQ then why not, I honestly think that the higher end will move towards powered speaker systems, albeit more slowly.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The new face of audio, most of the market seems to have voted with their feet and decided that they prefer lifestyle powered speakers.

Since I don't get around much, just what is that lifestyle I keep hearing mentioned?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I don't get around much, just what is that lifestyle I keep hearing mentioned?

If it looks good then it is good. We'll not worry about whether it sounds good (in fairness some of the low cost mono BT speakers sold in high street shops etc sound pretty good for background music and casual listening).

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it looks good then it is good. We'll not worry about whether it sounds good (in fairness some of the low cost mono BT speakers sold in high street shops etc sound pretty good for background music and casual listening).
With the exception of an ever decreasing number of enthusiasts, I think pretty much all listening is now casual, background music. I don't know of anyone these days who dedicates time to listening to music, it's just something that goes one whilst they do other stuff. For most people, a singing brick bluetooth 'speaker is good enough, this IKEA at least looks rather more competent, but will be too much visible for many.

S

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And there will spring up an entire sub-community of 'modders' based around these plastic-fantastic Ikea speakers.

They'll be adding bituminous pads to the casework, tweaking the DSP, re-capping the SMPS and replacing the tweeter with something esoteric from the likes of Scan-Speak to take it 'to another level'...

:)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the exception of an ever decreasing number of enthusiasts, I think pretty much all listening is now casual, background music. I don't know of anyone these days who dedicates time to listening to music, it's just something that goes one whilst they do other stuff. For most people, a singing brick bluetooth 'speaker is good enough, this IKEA at least looks rather more competent, but will be too much visible for many.

S

I agree, I now know very few people that listen to music as opposed to having something laying in the background or in the car. And for that market a fairly low cost BT speaker is probably fine. I know many audio enthusiasts hate Bose but their move to BT speakers and headphones was probably a very smart one and indicates they read the market pretty well. JBL also seem to be doing well in that market. These days I know virtually nobody other than a few audio enthusiast friends who has anything more than these BT speakers.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And there will spring up an entire sub-community of 'modders' based around these plastic-fantastic Ikea speakers.

They'll be adding bituminous pads to the casework, tweaking the DSP, re-capping the SMPS and replacing the tweeter with something esoteric from the likes of Scan-Speak to take it 'to another level'...

:)

I have heard that the veil is lifted and it is like listening to music for the first time if you replace all the wiring with a solid gold bus, fit a beryllium tweeter, buy audiophile grade MDF, hook up a $5,000 power supply and throw some Nordost snake oil at it (it also makes it comfortingly expensive).

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The driver placement on the baffle is pretty absurd though. Clearly the product designer and not the speaker designer came up with that configuration.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I think pretty much all listening is now casual, background music.

For what it's worth, I use an Echo Dot in the bathroom to listen to podcasts while doing the morning beauty routine. And in the bedroom as a white noise (actually, there are hundreds of nature sounds) generator and alarm. With my tinnitus, there is no such thing as silence, might as well fill it with noise in the background.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
With my tinnitus, there is no such thing as silence,

Fortunately, I have High-Res Tinnitus.

The frequency is so high I can't hear it.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Coincidentally, my echo dot's running noise generator just stopped a minute ago. Now I can hear ringing and it's so damned loud and clear. Hay... no escape.

Top Bottom